Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Roberts? Any good?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted
Anyone have experience with a .257 Roberts? What can it be used for besides whitetails? Can you still get ammo for it, or is it just a 'blast from the past'? Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you'll ever talk to a hunter whose owned a .257 Roberts and didn't love it. I sure loved mine! Had it many years and took it on many very successful hunts.

The Roberts is basically a deer/antelope/varmint rifle. It is extremely effective on all these animals and does so with little recoil and rather thrifty on the powder as well.

Doubtful you will see much over-the-counter ammo in stores but it's a easy one to reload for. You can even make your cases out of 06 brass or 7mm brass if you are so inclined.

If you are a reloader, I would recommend it highly. It isn't as spectacular as some modern cartridges but its certainly efficient and does a fine job. I'll be amazed if you hear one discouraging word about it. It's just one of them rifles a guy falls in love with. Excellent rifle for a young hunter or woman also.

Now I'm going to have to stop talking about it before I cry. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
The Roberts is a very good cartridge. It's popularity declined primarily because of lack of attention when marketing was focused on other cartridges introduced in the 60's and 70's. No recoil and adequate power for any deer size critter. Yes, there are other cartridges that do certain things better. But the Roberts in a good rifle is a joy.

Posts: 3281 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
<six bits>
posted
It is all the above,
You won't be sorry buying it .
If your wife or girl friend hunt,it would be great for them as well.little recoil.

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I have a 257 Roberts Ackley Improved and it would be the last to go from my rack (if I had to give up.

I have shot over a thousand wild pigs with 243, 270 and 257 and found that the 90gn Sierra HPBT will kill better than a similar weight in the 243, and about the same efficiency as the 270 with 130gn bulets.The 257 shoots flatter and groups better than the 270 for those long range shots.

My rifle is an original 1949 FN Browning sporter.

[ 08-20-2002, 17:26: Message edited by: Bad Ass Wallace ]

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
I would have to add my "ditto" to the above. Great for deer/antelope, super for coyote/varmint. It's greatest downfall in modern times is it doesn't say "magnum". If you were to re-package it as the "25 Medium Magnum", or sum such other rot, you would see interest pick up in it again. In my opinion, a lack of short action rifles chambered in Roberts put it directly against the 25-06, and the name wasn't "sexy" enough to interest shooters/hunters.

I will never part with my Roberts Ackley. [Cool]

<WSJ>
posted
Let's make it unanimous . . . it's a good cartridge. It's not a 25-06 or 270, but it wasn't meant to be. I'm firmly of the opinion that, for me, it's a better deer cartridge than 243. Maybe not necessarily a more deadly killer but a better hunting round.

Recoil is mild and the report moderate. It's a nice cartridge for a kid or new shooter to use because it isn't intimidating. It isn't macho; there're better cartridges if the biggest, hottest 25 caliber is what you're after or you desire a genuine long range cartridge. But with the 90 & 100 grain bullets it's darn sure not limited to short brush shots!

I like the 117/120 grain bullets for deer. Impact velocities are low enough that any decent modern bullet has good terminal performance (Failsafes, X-bullets, or A-frames are not a requirement to ensure good performance). I did use Speer Grand Slams to kill 8 deer and they worked great: all exited on broadside or quartering shots from 25-125 yards that, but for one, took at least one shoulder on the way through; pretty dramatic wound channels. But I probably didn't need them as the Hornadys and Remington Coreloct bullets work well, too.

If you don't reload, there are good factory loads available (although you probably won't find them in Wal-Mart). The Federal Premium +P factory load might be my favorite but the Remington's shot as well for me. -WSJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WSJ, you just reminded me of a couple of things about my old Roberts. 1st - The .257 Roberts made my .243 look silly at any game they wanted to play. I for one believe the Roberts is 50% better killer than a .243 ever will be.

2nd. Loading data at the time of my .257 was VERY conservative and likely still is. I was easily able to increase all loadings by considerable amount before I started showing ANY signs of nearing a maximum load. The Roberts is one of those rifles where factory ammo and loading data was kept conservative because of early model rifles produced for this cartridge.

In other words, this is quite a bit hotter than what the books might lead one to believe about the cartridge. 300-350 yd shots are no challenge with it. [Smile]

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
One of the very best all time all dual purpose cartridges.

It has earned a reputation for killing all out of proportion to it's size.

My cousin has one on an Argentine Mauser action with a custom cherrywood stock I've been trying to talk him out of for 30 years and I have three .25-06s. [Roll Eyes]

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I LOVE mine! I have gotten some factory ammo at Wal-Mart but reload most of the ammo I use.
Data is low pressure usually around 45,000 psi and a modern rifle is more than safe with +P data which still rarely exceede the mid 50k range. Plus P data is readily available and brings this round up to the heels of the .25-06 which is no slouch! I have been using Hornady 75gr. for varmit and 100gr Nosler BT's and Barnes X for deer. The BT have worked well ( heart/lung shots) for me and have yet to shoot one through the body with the X's. ( one in the neck)
This is one of those rounds that seems to work better than the numbers would suggest. I have used it to take fur to the market as well as venison on the plate. I'd trade my .308 for another Roberts pretty quick if the opritunity came up! [Eek!] [Big Grin]

[ 08-21-2002, 02:58: Message edited by: BigNate ]

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
The .257 "Remington" Roberts was a flop right from the start for some fundimental reasons.

1. It's not the real .257 Roberts developed by the famous Schuetzen shooter and experimentor Ned Roberts. It's a necked down 7mm Mauser.

2. Remington put the cartridge into a action that is too short for it resulting in it's being loaded with short stubby bullets. It never had a chance.

3. The .25 bore is a little too big for varmints and a little too small for game and in particular when compared to the far superior .270 Wincheser.

So it goes bang and Ned Roberts was a great guy but it's history.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don - Your first two points are basically correct. The .257 Roberts was a masterpiece of stupid marketing and some poor design work from the factories. HOWEVER, the .257 Roberts running around today on more modern firearms corrects these initial flaws and creates an EXCELLENT rifle, as all who have had the pleasure of owning one know very well.

Your third point is bordering on ridiculous and I think you know it. (OR SHOULD) I would not go so far as to say the Roberts is equal to the 270 as it is NOT. But for you to suggest it is too large for varmints and too small for game was either a poor attempt at humor or you know nothing about your subject. Further, you pretty well seem to dismiss the entire line up of .25 caliber rifles as useless...since they are obviously all too large for varmints and too small for any sort of "real game." Boy, I hope you are smarter than that! [Eek!]

<Don Martin29>
posted
Pecos,

But I used the weasel word "little"!

As it is a .257 Roberts varmint bullet is kind of heavy for varmints in terms of richocets and recoil but a little short on total energy as a really long range blaster.

As a game round it's on the weak and small size but with premium bullets and at a closer range it can work but it's the master of no trade.

Many of us like a personal cartridge and to them the Roberts is neat. I have a .25 Roberts in my cartridge collection and it has a more gradual shoulder than the current .257 Remington Roberts and is a little shorter. It looks more like a .243 Win in fact! mmmmmmm.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Well out of these posts you got one nay sayer and the rest are positive to say the least. I think it should weigh out in favor of the Roberts.
Like Pecos said it's hard to find a Roberts owner that doesn't like it.
Incidently Jack O'Conners wife ( Nora ? ) used a .257 Roberts quite a bit. Jack himself even mentioned using it in several writings. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don Martin is just our "token nay sayer" on this post. [Big Grin] We didn't want the "politically correct" fools saying we aren't Fair and Balanced here at Accurate Reloading.

Even Don secretly loves the Roberts. [Smile]

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Don Martin29:
The .257 "Remington" Roberts was a flop right from the start for some fundimental reasons.

1. It's not the real .257 Roberts developed by the famous Schuetzen shooter and experimentor Ned Roberts. It's a necked down 7mm Mauser.

2. Remington put the cartridge into a action that is too short for it resulting in it's being loaded with short stubby bullets. It never had a chance.

3. The .25 bore is a little too big for varmints and a little too small for game and in particular when compared to the far superior .270 Wincheser.

So it goes bang and Ned Roberts was a great guy but it's history.

DON,
LOOK UP MY POST ENTITLED, .257 ROBERTS.
DENNIS HEPNER

<Don Martin29>
posted
Dennis,

I ran the search here under your member number which takes a long time. Now I have read thru some of your over 60 posts. I don't see a particular thread called "257 Roberts" but I did read some comments by you in reply to my digs at the Remington Roberts.

So what's the point you want to make?

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Don Martin29:
Dennis,

I ran the search here under your member number which takes a long time. Now I have read thru some of your over 60 posts. I don't see a particular thread called "257 Roberts" but I did read some comments by you in reply to my digs at the Remington Roberts.

So what's the point you want to make?

DON,
DO I HAVE TO EXPLAIN THAT ONE? I THINK PECOS 45 PRETTY WELL SUMMED IT UP.
DENNIS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wallace from Oz (and other Sierra 90HPBT users):

Would you mind sharing some details about those 90 grain Sierra HPBT's? How often do they exit? How do they hold up if you hit bone?

I'm thinking about using them in my .250 Savage this year. We have deer and hogs on the lease I hunt. Most bucks run 120-150 pounds, but I did kill a 180 pound class animal a few years ago.

I've noticed a few folks are really fond of this bullet, and would like to hear the details of it's performance on game.

Thanks very much.
BigIron

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by BigIron:
Mr. Wallace from Oz (and other Sierra 90HPBT users):

Would you mind sharing some details about those 90 grain Sierra HPBT's? How often do they exit? How do they hold up if you hit bone?

I'm thinking about using them in my .250 Savage this year. We have deer and hogs on the lease I hunt. Most bucks run 120-150 pounds, but I did kill a 180 pound class animal a few years ago.

I've noticed a few folks are really fond of this bullet, and would like to hear the details of it's performance on game.

Thanks very much.
BigIron

BIG IRON,
YOU NEED NOT WORRY ABOUT IT. THE ANIMALS YOU MENTIONED WON'T TAKE A STEP AFTER A WELL PLACED SHOT.(lungs).
MY COUSIN USES THIS BULLET ALMOST EXCLUSIVLY IN HIS .257 ACKLEY, AND LOVES IT.
WHEN HIS RIFLE WAS STILL A ROBERTS, I WITNESSED A KILL HE MADE ON A RATHER LARGE MULE DEER, THE DEER ACTUALLY BOUNCED WHEN IT HIT THE GROUND. DEAD BEFORE IT HIT THE GROUND.
ANOTHER BULLET YOU MAY TRY IS THE 100GR.SIERRA SPITZER, SLIGHTLY BETTER B.C. AND SECTIONAL DENSITY.
IF I CAN KILL A BULL ELK WITH ONE, YOU CAN RELAX.(100gr.)
dennis hepner

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you like the 6.5X55, you'll like the .257 Roberts

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A great cartridge (especially handloaded to it's true potential) and a favorite of Barsness which should tell you something. I'm not sure what Atkinson meant by his Barsness comment as John loves the 257 Roberts (even more so in Ackley version) but I might have missed something?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Jeremiah Johnson>
posted
Big Iron,
I have used the 90 sierra with some success. I have a Cousin that has used it in a 257 with a great deal of success. Seems to be like a hand grenade. Seems to hold together but opens up like a salesman's breifcase.

I have used a 257 for a number of years and my grandfather has used one for a great deal longer. We have had nothing but good luck with them. Something about the way 25 cal bullets are made and the speed at which the 257 delivers them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have pulled the trigger on seven deer with a 257 Roberts at ranges from 40-400 yards. All of them were one shot kills. Any Good? !!!!!
Paul

Posts: 105 | Location: Gulfport MS | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the all time greats on nearly any list, except Mr. Martin's... Don you're full of hooey...in a nice kind of way I'm sure. [Big Grin]

I've not had a 90 gr Sie exit a pig, nor had a pig take step one after impact. Nosler Partitions work as well on deer for the most part. Did actually have to track one about 30 yards once a few years ago. Ruger#1 w/ forend mod and a Keplinger trigger. Nosler 85 gr BT's, 22 in .77". 3400+ fps and way superior to the 22's at long range. And yes, it kills better than the 6's too.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
One of our clients took a 41+" ram in the Brooks Range this season with his .257Roberts. Killed it just as well as the newer calibers killed the others.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
So Don Martin29 doesn't like the .257 Roberts? There are many who don't, but for various reasons. It's really a non-issue to me, you all probably know I'm a huge 6.5x55mm fan, and I'm of the opinion that the .257 Roberts is a near ballistic twin, similar powder capacity, good ballistic coefficient with a variety of big game weight bullets and highly effective on whitetails with little recoil and noise. Longest shot I have ever taken with my 6.5x55mm was at 280 yards with a 129gr. Hornady Interlock and I have confidence that a Roberts with the same bullet in a 117-120gr. weight would have resulted in the same performance. In fact, one of the few reasons I don't consider the Roberts is simply because I already have brass, bullets and dies for the Swede and a history of successful hunts.

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
There is no doubt that many like a personal cartridge. One that's different from say a .308 Winchester. So the .257 Remington Roberts is one of those. So go ahead and use one. I don't hate the cartridge at all. I have just pointed out that it's snake bit and of a size that makes it a master of no trade. I am just ignoring the cartridge as far as my choices go.

Compare a .257 RR to a bow and arrow and I will take the .257 RR. Satisfied?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Satisfied? Certainly, of course even I pointed out I would rather use something else. Just because it's decent doesn't make it everyones cup of tea! No disrespect intended! Otherwise we'd be bored senseless discussing the .30-06 over and over again instead of all of these great small/medium/big bores!

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote