THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    thoughts on bubba'ed Carl Gustav

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

thoughts on bubba'ed Carl Gustav
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So stopped into Cabelas today to see what they had in the library and used racks. I found a nicely sporterized Carl Gustav. It has an ok wood stock and a Williams rear sight, it's wearing an older Tasco 3x9
which seems pretty clear.

The barrel is 20" I believe and the lop is fairly short, not too short (clears my face fully out of battery).

Metal looks in good shape but I did not really scrutinize it.

I have been looking for a carbine length woods gun, something I am not going to agonize about a scrape or 2.

Will primaraly use it for NTX hogs and whitetail, max range around 300m.

I have read 6.5x55 does not like anything under 22" but I have seen just as many people say it's not a huge deal.

Any issues using modern round like the 140gr fusion or SST 140gr? I believevit has 1 in8" twist.

Did not see the year but was not looking closely.

They want 499.00 for it?

Thoughts?

They also had a nice Red Label with an Englush stock for 899.00 I might need more or the Chap in .470 nitro....

I hate living 5 minutes from Cabelas

Posts: 51 | Location: NTX / NWPA | Registered: 11 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
If the 6.5x55 did not like short barrels, it would be hard to understand why the Swedes made so many carbines with 16" barrels! I never heard that Old Wives Tale, but there is no truth to it. You should have no problems using conventional bullets of 160 grains or less. I have bought a few used rifles from Cabela's and they have always come off their price, I would offer them $350, it is a sporterized surplus rifle, I bet they take it and you will have a great rifle.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
If the 6.5x55 did not like short barrels, it would be hard to understand why the Swedes made so many carbines with 16" barrels! I never heard that Old Wives Tale, but there is no truth to it. You should have no problems using conventional bullets of 160 grains or less. I have bought a few used rifles from Cabela's and they have always come off their price, I would offer them $350, it is a sporterized surplus rifle, I bet they take it and you will have a great rifle.

Good advice. $350 would be about right, $499 is way too high.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 16" carbines were for cannon crews bicykle ordonanses and similar use. 6,5*55 were the standard military cartridge used for everything. Replaced by the CG .45 smg(also used by navy seals).

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like others, I think that is way too high for the gun as described. You should be able to buy a nice Tikka or similar (700 Classic?)6.5x55 for just a bit more and have a helluva lot more gun for the money. I wouldn't pay over $250 for it, which means, of course, that I wouldn't buy it but that's no loss.

Be careful of "Bubba" Swedes. One of the only (of two) bad deals I ever got over the internet was a similar "Bubba" CG, plastic stock. Upon inspection, long afer buying it, I found that some idiot had ground receiver down to paper thin and the front mount was falling out. Been sitting in a corner ever since.

Buy the Ruger, it's a better deal.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Remember, the original 6.5 used a 156 to 162 grain bullet; very long for the caliber, and FMJ, round nose; designed to penetrate through quite a lot of stuff and it didn't depend on velocity to do it. I would want a longer barrel but 20 inch will certainly work.

Posts: 17285 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't pay anywhere near $499 for that rifle. ~$300-350 is nearer the mark.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote