THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Remington 700 223 feeding issues???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 223 feeding issues???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted
I have the above rifle which is great, but I am experiencing jammed bullets when loading from the magazine, to the extent that I have pushed bullet heads out of true.

Has anybody else experienced this and what are the remedies to stop it happening.

My rifle has a non detachable magazine.

Cheers

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you using reloads, factory, etc. Max. overall length is I believe 2.260" Check the load manuals to be sure, but you may have longer than normal bullet seating. The rifle you describe noramally feeds very well without hesistation unless something different in loads.
Has the follower, spring, etc. been altered??

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M700s (and other actions, I might add) are infamous for having feeding problems. My first M700 had to have feeding worked over to work properly with .223 Rem. Not at all an uncommon occurrence.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I agree on checking the overall length of the reloads, if you are using reloads.

I've got several 700 and try to load for max length that will clear the magazine and then for accuracy. Once that's done they all have worked out great.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the bullets hitting the front of the Magazine Box instead of lifting up the ramp into the chamber ?

If the first of the above, try adjusting very slightly the top leaf of the Magazine Spring
so that the FROT of the Follower is higher.

Don't do this if it is not the problem
as you don't want the ass end of the follower too low or the bolt won't pick up the round.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted Hide Post
Thanks so far, I am using reloads my OAL is 2.350" which I am aware is longer than specified b ut the tips do just clear in the magazine.

The bullets get hung up coming out the magazine, I will do some more investigating Frowner

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello MHO,
I have to disagree with you about feeding problems with the Rem. 700 action. Have used them for many a year now for both sporting and service work and if the "operator" does his part and feeds the rifle/action proper ammo, you can depend on it to get you back home safely. Try feeding via stripper clip five rounds, twice for 10 shots, within 60 seconds, scoring hits at 200 yards from sitting position with sling, no bench, bi pods, artificial rests, just a sling. "Clean" targets are not uncommon for good shooters. 700's do it every day very well.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try shortening your cartridges a bit and be sure to seat your rounds firmly to the back of the magazine as your load them. Your problem should go away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nightwalker uk:
Thanks so far, I am using reloads my OAL is 2.350" which I am aware is longer than specified b ut the tips do just clear in the magazine.

The bullets get hung up coming out the magazine, I will do some more investigating Frowner

I'd agree with the post above me, adjust the seating depth of the bullets as it is the angle the bullets hit the feed ramp as they are coming out of the magazine that is causing problems.

Happens sometimes with various combinations.
458WM was one calibre.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 223 VLS has an opening floorplate, behind the magazine spring is a small spring steel clip that stops the magazine spring sliding back and fore – a friends 222 doesn’t have this clip and the magazine spring can slide backwards this spoiling the feeding

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiteman:
Hello MHO,
I have to disagree with you about feeding problems with the Rem. 700 action.

Aint life funny 'cause the only rifle that has jammed on me was a Remington 700! Frowner

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "usual" feeding problem with short skinny cartridges is that the back of the case doesn't "release" from the feed rails and the cartridge goes "nose high" into the top of the chamber counterbore.

Mine does this with some ammo.
Particularly anything loaded to the same OAL as M183 ball ammo

It doesn't do it with anything I have loaded now

As I have mostly short 40gr flat bases loaded.
(and those rounds are shorter)

I've considered trimming the feed rails but I'm very hesitant about removing metal from the receiver...

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
If the bullets are seated too long the rounds will stick. The bullet will hit the wall of the chamber and the cartridge neck edge of the chamber (edge of counterbore).

I just pulled a barrel off of a .223 sporter 700, the radius on the chamber was over 1/8" and looked like it was cut by a monkey with a chisel (bad chatter marks).

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
If you are using it at the range or as a varmint rifle, installing a Benchrest Follower in there, would eliminate that problem pretty quickly...

it is jamming up due to the angle of the feed ramp and the length of the bullet... polymer tipped bullets like V Maxes should also eliminate that problem...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I finally gave up on them after having to spend a bunch of money to make them shoot and feed properly.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quite sure the length is the problem. Tried this with my 700VS and anything much over 2.265 gave problems. Wound up with a follower and fire it single shot and make them to fit the rifle. If you want to use clip you are going to have to seat them deeper. When you do that you may have to reduce your load some. I've pushed the limit on my AR and the 20 and 30 round mags give feeding problems from the nose dragging front of mag, the 10 round promag I have lets me get buy with it however because it's a 20 round clip set up to hold 10. The legs are longer to reach bottom of mag so it doesn't dip as they are moving up like the shorter legs on the other mags.

And may I apologize to anyone I may have offended by calling a Magazine a clip

Posts: 16 | Location: North East Alabama | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote