New
Find
Notify
Tools

no chit - a mossberg
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i needed a new truck gun. something that i didn't care to much about getting beat up some. ended up with a mossberg mvp. in 223, by no means can anybody consider it beautiful, but does it shoot. At my backyard 100 yd range i tried 50 gr bullets and it just sort of patterned them. next was some south african military 55 gr. 10 shots went into less than an inch. then 68 gr noslers, joined the group of the 55 grainers and a 20 shot mixed group went about 1 1/4". now let tham damned crat appear way out in the field again

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A .223 wont kill a crat. It will just laugh at you. The only remote possible chance would be if you found ammo with a crat depicted on the box, even then it would be doubtful.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mossberg has always built durable guns.

Some like the 44 & 144 Target 22 RFs were and are tack drivers.

This new rifle has gotten good press and joins the Marlin and Savage bolt guns in proving that modern gun making can build functional, accurate rifles that anyone can afford.

By way of history, Remington was first on the scene with the 721/2 models that are still among the most accurate trouble free "out of the box" factory rifles ever made, and undercut Winchester M70 and Savage 99 prices enough to make them an instant hit.

You got a great truck gun !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not understand what you are saying here:

By way of history, Remington was first on the scene with the 721/2 models that are still among the most accurate trouble free "out of the box" factory rifles ever made, and undercut Winchester M70 and Savage 99 prices enough to make them an instant hit.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May I suggest you look back in time when the 721/2 models were introduced. Read what the "experts" back in 1949 had to say about it, how it undercut the price of the competition, then fast forward to 2013 and get your hands on a pre-transition 721 or 722, clean it up, adjust the trigger, put good glass on it and head to the range. Dollar to a dime it will drop 5 in 1" or less. If it's a 222 it will probably shoot a bughole.

Owning 4, (222, 244,30-06, 300 H&H) and having owned dozens more, I know whereof I speak.

My "reasonably rare" 722AC in 244.

One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pigmaster:
May I suggest you look back in time when the 721/2 models were introduced. Read what the "experts" back in 1949 had to say about it, how it undercut the price of the competition, then fast forward to 2013 and get your hands on a pre-transition 721 or 722, clean it up, adjust the trigger, put good glass on it and head to the range. Dollar to a dime it will drop 5 in 1" or less. If it's a 222 it will probably shoot a bughole.

Owning 4, (222, 244,30-06, 300 H&H) and having owned dozens more, I know whereof I speak.

My "reasonably rare" 722AC in 244.

Did you have your stock custom checkered? I have two 722's and mine just have plain stocks. Also, the wood on yours looks awfully nice.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is my opinion that this manufacturer has been often looked down upon or overlooked by many. They make nice functioning durable guns. I am particularly fond of the old rifles and shotguns. I often find them used and abused for fairly cheap, spend a little money and some time restoring them. They clean up very nicely. Under-appreciated is the word I was looking for.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you have your stock custom checkered? I have two 722's and mine just have plain stocks. Also, the wood on yours looks awfully nice.
joe

No it is factory.

The 721/2 rifles were made in at least five grades that I am aware of.

A - plain wood, no swivels, uncheckered

AC- plain wood, swivels, checkered (this 244 is an AC, although the wood is the best I have ever seen on an AC)

B- fancy wood, swivels, checkered

D- Peerless grade, virtually a custom rifle. engraved, gold inlays beyond belief wood and more

F- Premier, a custom rifle, profuse engraving, gold inlays, off the chart wood. As I recall there was one one the cover of an early 50s Gun Digest.

The grade was stamped in the barrel channel.

Some "B"s also had a hand stamped "B" after 721/2 on the receiver's side.

This is (I believe) a lunchbox special as it is a plain jane 721 in 30-06 except the wood carries an "F" stamped in the barrel channel.

The 721/2s also came with several different comb heights through the years. Just before the 700, they went to using left over 725 barrels that were shorter and lacked the distinctive "lump" having the rear sight dovetail.

one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
Didn't Artshaw have a gun just like that?

"pigmaster" is none other than Larry Root, aka bumfarto/4barexpert/silverbullet/ 45-70shooter.

Larry's been banned several times from AR, so not really sure why he feels compelled to continually circumvent the wishes of the Moderators, Admin. and/or Owner for him to be gone from a web sight where he is neither welcomed nor wanted.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is the AR version of bigfoot...

quote:
Originally posted by FOsteology:
quote:

"pigmaster" is none other than Larry Root, aka bumfarto/4barexpert/silverbullet/ 45-70shooter.

Larry's been banned several times from AR, so not really sure why he feels compelled to continually circumvent the wishes of the Moderators, Admin. and/or Owner for him to be gone from a web sight where he is neither welcomed nor wanted.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
A .223 wont kill a crat. It will just laugh at you. The only remote possible chance would be if you found ammo with a crat depicted on the box, even then it would be doubtful.

Sounds like full up deer rifle....

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never heard anybody say a bad word about them performance wise.. I also never heard one called good looking either...

Thanks for your report.

Todd

They have to be better looking that a Savage bolt gun! Big Grin

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOsteology:
quote:

Yup, the turd floats again.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
quote:
I've never heard anybody say a bad word about them performance wise.. I also never heard one called good looking either...

Thanks for your report.

Todd

They have to be better looking that a Savage bolt gun! Big Grin

My Model 14 Classic begs to differ.....

Posts: 16133 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Savages may not be pretty but damn they shoot!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The checkered stock and a "B" on the side of the receiver was, according to a friend at Remington, the equivalent of the BDL in todays market. I picked up one at a garage sale awhile back like the one in the pictures and it was in 35 Rem. It cleaned up ok but isn`t the most accurate rifle I have. If it wasn`t so rare I would rechamber to 358 Win.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote