THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    The correct way to sight in a scope.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The correct way to sight in a scope.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A few days ago I went with a guy to shoot rockchucks. He said he needs to sight in his gun, Marlin 22 mag. I was shooting my Ruger M77/17 hmr. He was shooting at a target at about 50 yards. I was telling him where he was hittin. I asked if he wanted to use my Harris bipod he said no. He was sighting in over the top of the car using hid forearm for a rest. I'd tell him where he was hittin, he'd make the adjustments, the thing is the bullet would hit 2"high he'd make the adjustments, after awhile the target looked like a shotgun was used. Next thing he said was I don't really like this gun then he picks his gun up and swings it against the car and breaks the stock. I wanted to laugh but I might of got left. How many of you guys know anybody like this. You try to help out but he do't want your help, thinks they know it all I guess. I'll tell you guys one thing, he aint touching any of my rifles.

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a guy who should take up golf!

I don't have much use for shooting or hunting partners who display their temper while carrying a gun. shame Aside from being dangerous, they aren't much fun to be around.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried to help a couple guys like the one you describe. Some people are just too stubborn to let you help. I have tried gentle education and even arranging for someone to "help" me sight in a scope. This usually helps, but sometimes you just don't get through.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have never left town with that clown. To properly sight in a rifle you have to have a steady rest. There is no substitute. It doesn't have to be fancy but it has to be steady. I've cut Vees in each end of a stout cardboard box, padded the vees with towels, and then put a couple of bricks in the bottem of the box for stability as a means to sight in a rifle. And you have to shoot a three or five shot group AND THEN move your sights. Once you are fine tuning the sights you can move after one shot IF the sights looked good and you're sure you broke the shot well.
You missed a good chance to offer to buy the rifle for $25.00-$30.00. Smiler
I agree the fellow should consider golf or going back to his favorite video parlour.
Geeeez, the thought of creeps like that roaming around in the woods makes my head hurt. Eeker

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
Geeeez, the thought of creeps like that roaming around in the woods makes my head hurt. Eeker
That's why I wear CAMO.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That guy is stuck at the bottom of the gene pool....

One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a pretty big jerk to me!

Sighting 101:

-bore sight

-fire 3 shot group

-adjust elevation left/right as needed

-fire another 3 shot group

-make adjustments as needed

-fire another 3 shot group to be sure the gun is hitting where you would like it to hit

Some scopes are finiky, my brother has a Bushnell .22 cal 3-9x32 on his .17 HMR that needs a little tappa-tappa with the knuckles before it adjusts properly.

If'n he ever asks for help again, tell him to drop off the rifle, then you sight it in for him. That way it will be done correctly, without the temper tantrum!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LEAVE WITHOUT HIM NEXT TIME. WHAT A JERK! NOT SAFE TO BE AROUND.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like a guy who should take up golf!

animal

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite a few years ago, at one of my friends hunting camp, they were sighting in off the pick up hood. One of the guys leaned down on the hood, couldn't get comfortable, put his elbow on the fender (it was a long time ago) and took three quick ones. they walked to the target, no holes. They mumbled their way back to the truck. Stood around and mumbled some more. Then Jim noticed the holes in the hood. The line of sight was above the hood, the muzzle was not. Dead battery!
Not sure how true it was, as my buddy had a tendency to stretch things a bit. But it's my reason not to use the hood as a bench.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I witnessed someone blow out a windshield in a similar fashion shooting across the hood (muzzle blast, not with a bullet). It was a hot hot day and the muzzle was way too close to the glass. I said something before the shot about moving away toward the front end, to no avail. It was dramatic!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watched a guy at the range with a Rem in .300 WM go thru 3 boxes of factory ammo trying to do the same thing. Shot the rifle on the bench just on his elbows, Fire one adjust scope, fire again, adjust scope, fire again, etc. I could just imagine how hot that barrel got!

Posts: 38 | Location: Wi. | Registered: 22 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Ignorance can be cured with education, stupid, well........there just isn't a whole lot we can do about that!

I sure wouldn't want to be anywhere in the field with that idiot roaming around. There is no telling what would set him off or how he would react.

Watching my six.......

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that there might be a Marlin .22 mag for sale at a decent price. Probably needs a new stock or some great type of glue. Roll Eyes

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
... noticed the holes in the hood.
Had that happen to me once. Told the guy he was a bad shot - he couldn't even kill a car! I ribbed him about it for years. I sure got a lot of mileage out of that one! Big Grin
The best fun was back with our hosts. I kept hinting at disclosing it and he would cringe! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
When I took him somewhere I would introduce him as the guy who shot my car. Then I fixed the hole.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote