New
Find
Notify
Tools

steyr pro hunter in 6.5x55
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anybody own one of these little rifles? how do they shoot?

Posts: 115 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own one and rant and rave about it every chance I get on these boards. I did not like the stock much so I spent $99.00 at CDNN and got a Forester wooden stock. I have shot everything from 108 grain scenars to 160 grain sierras. Have made some long shots on groundhogs with the 140 grain hornady A-Max bullets and like to use the same on deer.

It is probably the best all around rifle I own. At 100 yards it prints different loads and weights at similar points of impact. I have a Kahles 6x42 with a bullet drop comp I ordered from Austria set for a 139 grainer at approx 2550 fps. This rifle walks the dog. Barrel is very easy to clean. Wish I had the funds to get another in 25-06.
I don't push my loads because of the scope set-up. It really thrives on RL19 and RL22. Get one and tell me how you like it. You cannot go wrong with this rifle.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
are they worth the money? i know on their website they're $1600.

Posts: 115 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had several steyr rifles still have one in 376 steyr never had one in 6.5x55 but I did in 6.5x57 only sold it as I have several other modern 6.5x55s. The Steyrs are not pretty but they are usually great shooters and I can not Imagine a better combo of the Steyr in the 6.5x55 Unless it was a Steyr in a 9.3x62 Wink

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned a Prohunter in 6.5x55 (wood) and 9.3x62 (synthetic). They came and went from the safe so quickly I never even shot them. The fellas who bought them from me assure me they are both sub-MOA rifles. Aack! Thpt!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like it's going to be a promissing rifle. thanks for the info everyone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried like hell to get my hands on a 376 Steyr a couple of years back but just could not get one here in Canada.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The current CDNN Catalogue has a few in it at good prices.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The luxus ones or whatever the top end, maybe it is the classic are very expensive. I would go for the pro-hunter. Got mine through CDNN years ago for about $640.00. Wish I had one in 25-06, but have no funds at present. There for about 2 months last year they were listed in the WalMart online catalogue, but disappeared rather quickly. You should always ask to look at the big book behind the desk at Wal Mart, sometimes they have crazy stuff in there. For a while they were practically giving away those SIG bolt hunting rifles, I think it was SHR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 390ish:
I would go for the pro-hunter. Got mine through CDNN years ago for about $640.00. /QUOTE]

that's cheap. was that used or new for that price.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
The current CDNN Catalogue has a few in it at good prices.

LWD

Yep I tried that route too but they won't sell me one in Canada. Govt regs. I tried to get them to sell me one then ship it to the broker fella in Montana, had that all aranged I thot and next thing I know my money order is returned with a curt note.
We don't sell to Canadians.
So I finally threw in the towel.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
I have 7 of them now. I love them! My 300 Win Mag is a 1.2" grouper at 300 yards with 200 Gr Nosler partitions. Both of my 260's are tack drivers and the 30-06 is a one ragged hole with 165 Accubonds. The rest I haven't shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I'm gonna buy it..Money is in the mail. I love the 6.5 and hope this baby works well for me. I sure hope she shoots light bullets. I wanna try it on varmints this spring and summer. Ground squirrels up to coyotes. should be a blast.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can buy the Steyrs here in the USA from about $595 up, NIB. Check online sites, gun shops, and of course CDNN. The newest full list retail prices are exorbitant, and I'd still love to own one of their new Luxus switch barrels, which has to be at least as accurate as a Blaser.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i bought mine new when CDNN first bought out all of GSI's inventory. i had planned on getting a milled bulgarian ak (i think all bulgarians are milled though), but jumped at the steyr. found some a-max 140 grainers in 6.5 yesterday at a little shop for $16.59 per box. shame they only had two boxes. that bullet is great in my steyr.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got my steyr home. Not quite what I was expecting from a $1600 gun. now i know why they sell for $600-$900 in the USA. I can pull the forearam of the stock about 1/2 inch away from the barrel. Is this normal. Has anyone tried to stiffen up the stock with epoxy or something? I'm confused why a company would make such a cheap stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock is the reason why I converted my pro-hunter into a forester. CDNN will sell you a wooden stock for $90.00 or so. that is what i paid for mine. that plastic stock is horrible. you have to rest it on the magazine when shooting from the bench to prevent the barrel from whipping on the stock.

be sure and load up some 140 amax hornady bullets with a mid to max charge of Reloader 22 and tell us how it works. you got a great rifle. if you really want to spend some money, lone wolf stocks will build you a stock for $900.00 or so, i asked before them before i settled on the wooden steyr stock. good luck.

One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
I mill a slot in the interior of the forend and insert a 3/8" unilaminar carbon fiber rod in so that both ends are in the existing marerial. Bed it in place with Acra- Gel. Makes a big difference.

posted Hide Post
I have one in .260 and have just bought a wildcat moderator for it. Going to shorten the barrel by 3.5" so it brings the mod close in to the forend.shoots brilliant.the forend I have filled with epoxy and this has taken the flex out of it. regards Allan

Posts: 21 | Location: uk | Registered: 14 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I will put some Devcon Steal putty in the forearm and use some sort of carbon fibre rod maybe an arrow shaft. I do like the look of the stock and the durability of the synthetic. I just wish steyr had spent a little more money and thought into the forearm part of the stock, and the sling. I think I will have to drill a new hole for a swivel stud for my bipod. I have not seen or am not aware of any attachements for a sling stud.
I am still deciding on my scope mounts so once I get them I will do some load test and let you all know. Thanks for the help and advice thus far. Greatly appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I will have to drill a new hole for a swivel stud for my bipod.

I think Millet makes a part that will work. ss0004 is their part number. Take a look at that.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
the pro hunter takes browning a-bolt mounts and leupold rings.It has a twist off sling swivel eye under the forend and stock.

Posts: 21 | Location: uk | Registered: 14 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Steyr Pro hunter in 6.5X57 yes it is a bit funny looking, but man does it shoot. Any reload I have tried is under 1.5" at 100 yards, handloads it likes under 1/2". The stock is a bit loose on the front end but it does not bother how the rifle shoots or handles in the field. I plan to leave mine just as it is and hopefully another 11 point buck again next year.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithrjd:
I have a Steyr Pro hunter in 6.5X57 yes it is a bit funny looking, but man does it shoot. Any reload I have tried is under 1.5" at 100 yards, handloads it likes under 1/2". The stock is a bit loose on the front end but it does not bother how the rifle shoots or handles in the field. I plan to leave mine just as it is and hopefully another 11 point buck again next year.

thumb Exactly. I have three of them(.308, 8x57, and .376 Steyr). All of mine shoot and handle great, even at the bench, just the way they came from the factory. I would suggest putting a couple hundred rounds down the range and developing loads before you make any mods to the rifle or its stock.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have one in 308 would not part with it,5 rounds ouching at 100yds using hare trigger,had it in 30.06 recoil a bit heavy but very accurate,had a 270 in delux model beautiful wood not acurate barrel hitting fore-end lost confidence in it. You will not go wrong with it.
Good luck
Deerhunter Ireland