THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Getting Dad's old 25/06Rem rebarreled to 22/250Rem

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting Dad's old 25/06Rem rebarreled to 22/250Rem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I ended up with my dad's tang safety Ruger M77 and the bore is getting dark and rough, so I am having it rebarreled as a heavy varminter in 22/250. The smith had been waiting on the E.R. Shaw helical fluted 1/12" twist barrel for 2 1/2 months. I may have to re-stock it because there might not be enough wood in the forestock to hog the barrel channel out. I am thinking a Boyd's laminate for it, if I need a stock. Hope it feeds correctly but might require some tweaking. I'm excited!

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Just wondering about how it will feed. The 22-250 is normally a short action round. I have one in a MKX but they added a spacer in the back of the box.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Your stock will work and yes you will need to take some wood out to get it to fit.
If it were me I would get a follower for a 22/250, 250 Savage from Ruger and make a block in the magazine.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would get a follower for a 22/250, 250 Savage from Ruger

tu2 Can't stop with the follower you will need a spring as well. Some of the part including the box and spacer or available.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Ma...del-39651.htm?page=5

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Or stuff them toward the rear; it might surprise you.

Posts: 17285 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot the newly barreled 22/250 this afternoon and it feeds like a dream without any changes. Didn't get the new Redfield Ruger style rings centered and the scope ran out of windage adjustment to center shot placement. I know, dumb rookie mistake! I know better than that but I was in a big fat hurry so I could shoot it. BTW, didn't have to re-stock after all. There was enough wood but it was a close call. This barrel looks really sweet, better than I dared hope for from a cheaper barrel maker. I think it will be a real shooter.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
That's great. Have fun.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K