New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roberts loads.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I did a bit of shooting with my custom springfield yesterday.
I went out to my little spot in the woods but the road was very slippery and I had to settle for 2nd choie.
Range was paced off at 93 yards. And I was shooting off the hood of my PU truck.resting on pillows.
My favorite deer load for the Roberts is 46 grains of H414 over the excelelnt barnes 100 gr tripple shock.
However this rifle is a lo #rd springfield action , made in 1905,
So I backed off 2 tenths of a grain.
I got 3 rounds into .28 but a 4th opend the group up to 1.25.
I think the flyer will be eliminated by loading closer to the lands. I was over 0.100 off so I will next go to .075.
I know barnes says .050 , But I did not have an OAL, chamber gage till after this load was assembeld.
The 100 grain hornady IL Flat base over 40 grains of IMR-4064 drilled 5 into about an inch but the target tore all to hell and i cant get a good measumwnt.
I was dissapointd by the 120 grain partition over RL-22 , I got a near perfectly verticle string of 2.25 inches.
However the 120 grain sierra hollow point over the same powder was quite good. Right at about an inch.
I think I will put the other .2 grains of powder under that tripple shock and call it my deer load for both my Roberts rifles.
My 20 inch ruger shoots that load quite well too and gives 3140 FPS.
The IMR 4064 Hornady load was very mild and should give a decent velocity of over 2900 , and would be a great load for plinking.
I have the same powder loaded under some speer 100 grain Flat bases but i did not shoot them.
I was tird if walking back and forth through knee deep snow to replace my targets.
The 3X9 leupold on the rifle was a very good choice. Just about perfect infact...tj3006

freedom1st