THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Hornady 75gr. BTHP .223 Rem. in a 1:9 twist barrel ?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 75gr. BTHP .223 Rem. in a 1:9 twist barrel ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, these are the only factory match ammos that I could find here; I know that 1:9 is iffy for a 75 gr. bullet, but I've had no choice and the price was fair. What is your opinion?

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I handload it and use it in two barrels with one in 9 twists.. both barrels will easily stablize both it and the 80 grain match bullets..

the 75 grain HP Hornady is actually the most accurate match bullet in those 223s and my fast twist 22.250s....

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot them in my 1:9 and they stabilize just fine.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wildboar

What are you using these for? They are not a good hunting round if you want the bullet to "expand". At standard velocities they tend to just punch a hole through flesh with no bullet disruption. Some internet experts, mostly on tactical sites, will claim the match ammo is "awesome" for hunting and self defense...they are wrong. Any bullet designed to expand, i.e. any cup and core bullet, will out perform a match bullet on flesh.
If you are planning to hunt with them them take head and neck shots and you will be fine.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, as you said, a 1:9 twist stabilizes (VERY) well the Hornady 75 gr BTHP bullets....

This is the group I got, few hours ago, at 200 meters, with the last 4 rounds (out of 20). Considering that I'm only an average shooter, that the weather was fairly windy and the rifle, a CZ Varmint, was brand new, I'm really impressed. Due to the "fit to paper" printer option, squares size is actually 0.94", while the group size is slightly less than 2", center-to-center. dancing

P.S. Perry, it's a a target rifle...

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very accurate in 1:9 barrels. I like that you can load them to mag length for the AR platform. You can really get them humming in a 223AI.

As far as killing potential of this particular 'match bullet', these bullets have accounted for dozens of yotes for me. No runners. Clean kills out to a little past 200yds.

One of my favorite 224 bullets.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
Well, as you said, a 1:9 twist stabilizes (VERY) well the Hornady 75 gr BTHP bullets....

This is the group I got, few hours ago, at 200 meters, with the last 4 rounds (out of 20). Considering that I'm only an average shooter, that the weather was fairly windy and the rifle, a CZ Varmint, was brand new, I'm really impressed. Due to the "fit to paper" printer option, squares size is actually 0.94", while the group size is slightly less than 2", center-to-center. dancing

P.S. Perry, it's a a target rifle...

wild Boar,

not to rag on your shooting but those little bullets will shoot much tighter groups than that at 200 meters, or yards...

at least will out of my rifles...

and that is a reflection of the accuracy potential of the round.. not me saying my shooting ability is superior to yours...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, as I said:

1) I'm an average shooter

2) The weather was fairly windy

3) The rifle was brand new

I'm aware that with less wind and more practice I'll be able to do a little (hardly) better, but that group, with said limitations, remains remarkable to me.

P.S. You are certainly a better shooter than I am....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That combo loves VV 540 and H 4895. Work with your loads and it will shoot better for you. FYI 7 1/2 rem or wolfe mag sr primers.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
Seafire, as I said:

1) I'm an average shooter

2) The weather was fairly windy

3) The rifle was brand new

I'm aware that with less wind and more practice I'll be able to do a little (hardly) better, but that group, with said limitations, remains remarkable to me.

P.S. You are certainly a better shooter than I am....

Wild Boar...

Too bad you are in Italy...

Believe me, ANY member of these forums is more than welcome to be my guest out on the game fields, here in Oregon...

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's very kind of you to invite me in Oregon; maybe in the next life....

BTW: Within 2/3 hours I'll be at the range, trying to get better results with my CZ. wave

posted Hide Post
I'm loading the Hornady 75 grain A-Max in my 223 built on a Savage 110 action using a varmint weight satinless fluted 26" barrel with 1 in 9 twist. I get 1.75" groups at 200 yards and have no problem hitting a bowling pin at a measured 400 yards. I love the cartridge and the Hornady A-Max bullet.

Tom

Posts: 4 | Location: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Wildboar,

I shoot an accuracy speaks ar-15 w 1-9 20 inch bull barrel.

I standardized on the moly coated 75 gr hornady bthp manyyears ago and still love it.

Kills big ground hogs well out to 200 yds even if it is a target bullet. Also fine on coyotes.

I have a 900 yard range and believe it or not, it will hold within 1/2 minute windage to a 175 grain 308 bthp.

My rifle is most accurate w BLC-2 from 600-900 and RL-15 from 100-500.

Only 50 fps difference between them, but the Ball C is faster and that helps accuracy at long, long range.

Load RL-15 to 2700 fps and BLC-2 to 2750 fps and you will have a good load.

For varmits, I prefer almost any plain jane soft point to the bthp target bullets or poly tip bullets. Went hunting w a freind who used a 223 w 60 grain hornady sp at 3000 fps and I had a 22-250 improved w 55 grain nosler ballistic tip at about 700 fps faster velocity. At 150 yds he was blowing rock chucks in two while my ballistic tips at 3700 fps were not much better than my 223 w 75 grain bthp. Go figure.

One last comment, a 1-8 twist is the new 1-9. So many good heavier bullets now that if I were building my long range AR again I would use a 1-8.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Andy if you dont mind me asking whats your charge with blc2? My 20 inch upper 1-9 twist ar I am shooting 24 grains blc2 winchester brass win small rifle primers....I am getting 2550 fps.

Jason

Posts: 81 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Jason,

My last load was 25.2 gr BLC-2 in Frontier (Hornady)brass and Remington primers. I also use 24.5 RL-15 in military cases and 25.0 RL-15 in commercial cases.

I suggested reloading up to 2700 and 2750 fps because primer and brass and powder lot combinations will vary quite a bit.

When the 75 grain bthp first came out I called Hornady and they faxed me a copy of their reloading data for 75 grain bullet and I saw that blc2 gave highest velocity so I loaded up to that level.

I Dont know if anyone can offer that kind of customer assistance now, but its worth a try. They may have tried it w Ramshot now which will also probably give good velocity.

You might also want to check out the ar15.com website and look at their articles on the heavy target bullets. Velocity is all over the place, from 2600 - 2800 fps w 75 and 77 grain bthp's. Hornady has at least three 75 grain loads now with some going faster than my blc2 loads. At least 4 makers of M262 equivalent ammo for 77 grain bullets now, all faster than youd think possible from 20 inch barrel.

Difference seems to be sammi vs nato pressure and match vs military (chrome lined) chamber and barrels.

PS, I also use blc2 w 165 grain nosler ballistic tips in my 308 match rifle. 46 grains. So if you have a 308 you can use it in both calibers.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I run the 75 gr Hornady 75 BTHP match w/ a max + charge of H4895 and WSR primers from my 1:9 Rock River Arms 16" barrel. Great accuracy. The acid test is 600 yds during the winter @ 20 deg F. Even with my 2x ACOG optics I get 10 shots into 10".

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote