New
Find
Notify
Tools

home made .204 funnel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I finally got everything to load my 204 or so i thought, I had my brass primed and ready to load when damn I forgot to buy a .204 funnel.
On the bench i had a container of fired 222 brass out of about 30 pieces of brass one of them fit perfect over the sized 204 case. I then took the 222 brass and cut it off with my dremmel tool. A funnel from the kitchen was a perfect fit for the 222 brass. I loaded some test loads with Reloader 15 this morning. Those who have reloaded the 223 with reloader 15 know that it dosnt flow through the funnel very good. This was not the case with this funnel and the 204 , the powder flowed right through with no backup what so ever, maybe due to the bottle neck shape. here is a few pics.

loud pipes save lives

Posts: 100 | Location: New Enterprise PA | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been having issues with my funnels and trailboss. I found a small paintbrush helps dramatically. I use the pointy end to push it through and then the paintbrush end to clean up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang that's a really neat idea. Thanks for sharing.

I had a similar experience with my .22 Hornet. Went to load it and discovered I had no sizing die. Had bought everything else including a fancy micrometer seater die but no sizing die. Only noticed this when I went to the garage to load, got all my stuff out and wanted to size a case. homer Had to put the project off until the big brown toy delivery truck made an appearance.....

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nice going MacGyver.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumbNice balancing act. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Proven again: Necessity is the mother of invention.

Good job. Thanks for sharing.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slick idea!
-----

Me asking a Genius I used to work for, "How did you become a Genius?"

"You take a complicated task and make it so simple that when people look at it they say - Heck, I could have thought of that! - but they didn't." Bill Lancaster

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good Ben!! Now a word to the wise for all, if you're going to be loading the .204 (or smaller) and also may want to load the SAUM's or WSM's, you current old standby funnel ain't gonna work for doo-doo!! Get yourself one of the nifty little MTM funnel sets with all the different inserts! From .17 to the behemoths, there is an insert to fit!! And it only costs minimally in comparison to aggrevation! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ben,
Great concept. I am gonna get one of my many RCBS funnels and epoxy a cut case to the inside of the downspout. Thanks for the idea!

Posts: 167 | Location: Rockwall (Dallas), TX | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog devastation:
...the nifty little MTM funnel sets with all the different inserts! ...

quote:
Originally posted by Trouble:
...epoxy a cut case to the inside of the downspout ...
And if a person needs a real lonnnnnnnnnng Drop Tube, you can combine the above two posts and "epoxy" a couple of the "MTM Inserts" to an Arrow Shaft. It works very well.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted Hide Post
Great idea !!!

On another note, when dumping powder into my .22 hornet cases with a Redding powder measure, most of the case mouths "stick" up in the plastic drop extension of the powder measure. This is because the hornet case mouths are so thin when compared with other high powered .22 cases. I use a loading block, so the offending cases "hang up" in the Redding's drop tube, then sometimes drop on the loading block and spill powder all over the other cases and table.

Needless to say, this is very annoying, really slows down the process, and makes for some messes.

I need to come up with something similar for just the hornet cases where powder has to go through a narrow tube on its way to the hornet case mouths.

Thanks for sharing !!

"Bo"

Thank goodness my grandfather put me in the woods as a child !

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote