THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    22br outside neck meas. Lapua/remington

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22br outside neck meas. Lapua/remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got a barrel to put on my savage. It's a 22br with a .250" neck. I've been shooting Lapua brass in my 6br barrel and just assumed to stay with Lapua and do a little shaving on the outside of the neck. I wanted a no-turn at .252" or so, but could only find a pre-fit at .250". I've now heard that Rem. brass is thinner and may work out as a no-turn option. Does anyone use the remington brass for the 22b? Can someone tell me what the outside dia. measurement would be? I'm going to go measure some 22-250 I have loaded with Remington brass. Will their 6br brass be the same thickness. Is all remington brass the same thickness is what I'm asking I guess?? Thanks tootalloutdoors

bugling elk-proof that God exists

Posts: 52 | Location: N.W. Montana | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you neck the 6mm brass down to 22 cal, the necks will thicken and you'll have to outside neck turn them. I had to o/t my necks for my 22 BR, when necking down from 6 to 22.
To make cases work in a .250 chamber, the necks will have to be turned to less than .013 thick. I'd go to .010, and check them after every firing. That only leaves .0015 on each side; not much room to play with.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let see .250 neck less .002 for clearance less .224 for bullet leaves .024 or neck thickness of .012. I have tight neck rifles in 22br and 6br and I use Rem 7br brass and my neck thickness before turning is .011 to .0125.
Normal tight neck for a 22 caliber rifle is .242 or .244.

You might want to contact the gunsmith and see if Norma or Laupa BR brass reamer was used. If you have to turn necks or just neck down brass after the first firing good idea to get an inside neck reamer and use it before resizing neck.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The original 22 Rem BR chamber length was 1.520 with a .469 spec at the base of the chamber. My .22 BR is the old BR chamber with a fired case base diameter of .4662 .
The 6mm BR Remington case head diameter is .4644 .The new Lapua case is .4695 at this point I believe .
The 6mm Br Remington brand case necks are .0126 (in 6mm).
I would call Pac-nor for the reamer specs and do a chamber cast. The Lapua brass should be fine with light neck turning. Then I would next order a die to match from http://www.harrellsprec.com/fl_die.html .
Wildcat cartridges vol 2 page 121 Wolfe Publishing for an early article by John Leu.
Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote