THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Scope for 6.5x54 1903 Mannlicher carbine

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for 6.5x54 1903 Mannlicher carbine
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

I'm looking for some help in finding a suitable scope for my gun. It has an EAW side mount (1") and when I bought it it had a Lyman scope on it that fit well but it's a little long in the tooth and the fine reticle isn't suitable.

I tried mounting a Burris 2-7x32 on it but the mount doesn't let the scope come back far enough to fit comfortably - even worse at higher magnification. I can't seem to find any scopes whose specs show that they would fit other than the straight tube 1-4/5x24mm but I want 6x or 7x at the high end. It needs a scope with a long tube but all of those are huge with 42mm and larger lenses. I want something nice and compact.

What scopes are you using on your rifles?

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
It's very hard to find a long tube scope. Mine has an old weaver 3-9 in Redfield mounts and even this one is back as far as it can go. Even the euro scopes now have short tubes. I'm going to measure a Zeiss 2-8x32 which is long for it's range.

Posts: 6488 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Well my 2-8 Zeiss and the MS are not at home at the moment :-)

Here's my measurements. Maybe you can extrapolate your own and get the the perfect scope. I mount a scope with 3.5" eye relief 11.5" from the butt. I'm not the type to "choke up" on a scope.

Zeiss Conquest 3-9 at 11.5" = front of eye piece 15", back of turret 17.5" so the space between the eye piece and turret is 2.5"

Bushnell elite at 11.375" = front of eye piece 14 5/8", back of turret 17 1/4 so the space between the eye piece and turret is 2 5/8.

Sako with the Bushnell.

Posts: 6488 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burris manufactured a 2X7 with a longer tube and forward mounted turret. I have one on a Ruger number one. I am not normally a Burris fan but you might look for one of these. They will be about 20 to 25 years old.

My scope looks about like this 3X9 but my scope has a smaller front bell.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep your eye out for a Zeiss Conquest 2.5x8. They will fit a Mannlicher well and don't dwarf the rifle. They appear on ebay even though discontinued.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote