New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fast 55's
 Login/Join

<seven17>
posted
The small fast .224's are unfamiliar territory for me. About how fast can a .224 50gr. ballistic tip be driven when exiting a barrel with 1 in 14 twist without coming unglued? I know some bullets are better than others at holding together at high spin rates, but this twist shouldn't cause problems, should it? I'm thinking in terms of say, a 22-6mm with 29+" barrel. Barrel wear is of no concern at this point and I'm not going for the velocity record but I would like to know which 50 grainers would hold up the best at 4000+ and still work on varmint class critters. Sorry about the 55 in the title!
Phil
[This message has been edited by seven17 (edited 01-16-2002).]

[This message has been edited by seven17 (edited 01-16-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seven17, The Nosler reloading manuel no.4 states that they have tested .224 cal btips up to 4900fps with out sacrifice of integrity or accuracey. I have shot 50gr btips at 4000fps from my 220 Swift 1in14 twist without any problems.

------------------
Growler

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I've shot them over 4300fps,in the 22CHeetah mach One. Never have I seen one come apart,from rotational/velocity stresses.........

<seven17>
posted
While I'm on the subject, what kind of velocities might one expect from a 22-6mm with a 29-30 in barrel, 50gr bullets? Would a very slow powder be best or would I not be able to stuff the case with enough of it? Several guys in my area use this round so I will stick with it to compare data etc.
Phil

<Don Martin29>
posted
I have seen jacketed bullet melt. The evidence is a spiral of lead like a shaded pencil mark near the bullet hole. If you can find the bullet hole.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A reloader in Kirkwood Eastern Cape SA, ran a 40 gr HV mono beyond 5000 fps in his 22 Cheetah. The 40 gr HV mono is similar in length to a jacketed 50 gr bullet and there is no jacket to separate from the core .

We routinely run them at 4400 from a pair of 220 Swift rifles, one of which has been rechambered to 22-06. We are busy working up loads for that one. Good fun and kills like crazy on antelope up to 250 lbs out to 450 meters.

<auto>
posted
Most of the bullet manufacturers will warn you if there is a problem with speed. I use Hornady 55 grain SXSP bullets, and there is a paper in the box of bullets warning you not go over 3650 fps. I have loaded them a slight bit more without problems. But I have had them going too fast and they just don't get there. A very small puff of grey smoke, and they ain't no more. The Nosler ballistic tips have no warnings, so I have some loaded pretty fast, but haven't had the weather to go shooting yet. I have a box of V-Max bullets, and they don't warn you about speed either, so I am assuming they can also go fast. But, all that said, Performance is what I am after, not speed records. The Hornady 55 grain SXSP does a job on ground squirrels, and that is what I am shooting. Anyone who shoots 4-5 squirrels at 100+ yards with that bullet is hooked on squirrel shooting.