New
Find
Notify
Tools

New web site for 223 hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
That is what you guys need to do is start a new website just about 223 hunting, maybe find some guys from Africa that shoot cape buffalo with 223, or some russian boys that like to dump a mag of 7.62 into a Yak. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might be on to something there. I have never seen so much discussion over anything I do not believe. What I really dig is most people will talk about using a premium bullet when using a light caliber for larger than intended game. Example being a 270 for say Elk or Moose. But many of the pro .223 crowd even insist their is nothing wrong with a light varmint bullet in the .223 for deer.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
horse

What is really amazing is that you guys can't get over deer can be killed with a small bore rifle. I don't recommend using "varmint" bullets on deer, but a properly constructed .224 caliber bullet will kill a deer as surely as other bullet suitable for hunting deer with. Plus we don't need a new website, we have a small bore forum right here where we can discuss hunting and shooting the .223 so you can come in and comment on how ignorant you think the .223 users are.

BTW make mine the 6-.222 Rem Mag the .223 isn't legal for me to use in Colorado. moon

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
horse

What is really amazing is that you guys can't get over deer can be killed with a small bore rifle. I don't recommend using "varmint" bullets on deer, but a properly constructed .224 caliber bullet will kill a deer as surely as other bullet suitable for hunting deer with. Plus we don't need a new website, we have a small bore forum right here where we can discuss hunting and shooting the .223 so you can come in and comment on how ignorant you think the .223 users are.

BTW make mine the 6-.222 Rem Mag the .223 isn't legal for me to use in Colorado. moon

I understand they can be killed with a .223 but I don't understand why the need to do it. I could understand if it was the only rifle a person had and needed to kill a deer for food. But in most cases we are talking sport hunters who chose to use the bare minimum.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
bsflag bsflag bsflag bsflag horse horse horse horse thread about something that is not going to change.

All you folks that are so down on people using any of the various .223/.224 for hunting deer, contact the state Game Management agencies and get the minimum caliber requirements changed to something you feel is more appropriate.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blame W.D.M. Bell for hyping the CF 22s!

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
bsflag bsflag bsflag bsflag horse horse horse horse thread about something that is not going to change.

All you folks that are so down on people using any of the various .223/.224 for hunting deer, contact the state Game Management agencies and get the minimum caliber requirements changed to something you feel is more appropriate.

Already illegal here, 24 cal minimum.

Posts: 16133 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Nelson:
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
horse

I understand they can be killed with a .223 but I don't understand why the need to do it. I could understand if it was the only rifle a person had and needed to kill a deer for food. But in most cases we are talking sport hunters who chose to use the bare minimum.

Need has nothing to do with it, the good majority of people posting on here don't ever need to kill a deer. Subsistence hunting is pretty much non-issue for the majority here in the lower 48. For most people who live outside a rural area hunting for food is an expensive endeavor. I know that I can sure buy a lot of meat cheaper than the tags, fuel, and food cost for a week in hunting camp. That isn't even including the costs that many pay here for a deer lease, I usually hunt public land. So really hunting for the majority is a "want too" and so they should be able to use what they want within the legalities set forth by the State they are hunting in.

Until you can produce actual data on cartridge requirements needed to effectively kill deer the argument is moot. The statement that you all make "more deer are lost to a .223 than any other cartridge" has no statistical fact behind it. Then it is only personal opinion that the .223 is a minimal cartridge not fact. I haven't ever killed a deer with a .223 probably never will, but I have killed enough deer to know that even the big ones aren't that hard to kill with proper bullet placement.

If you really want to talk about minimal cartridges, there are States that allow the use of rimfires for hunting big game. I would surely rather see someone take a .223 afield than a .22 WMR to hunt deer. If your personal opinion won't allow you to use a .223 for deer fine, but don't fault those who don't follow your opinion on the matter.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
barfOh blather , poop and rubbish. Even when personal experience (evidence) is given the James Carval types do a bit of spin doctoring and just carry on down the road. Just like saying " Don't confuse me with facts." or " Who the hell are you to tell me what not to use?" even though you are not telling them what to use and only passing on what your experiences have been, good and bad.
Frowner The message I get from the 22 center fire deer slayers is "well if you don't agree with me piss on you." horse horse beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I can't believe you guys keep this argument alive!
When I joined this site it was fairly common to see these end in an agreement to disagree. It was generally a gentlemanly site. It's now typical to see name calling start early on in these threads.
When one says that another is dumb (or some other insultive statement) it sets the tone. The first person is sure they are right and they have no interest in hearing anything else. Meanwhile, the guy who feels insulted wants a fight.
When it comes down to it, the ones who've used a .223 Rem or other .224" centerfire with good results can't begin to accept the insultive bashing from those who are so sure it shouldn't be done.
If it's not ok with you to do it don't. It's like drinking, smoking, cussing, etc. You make a personal choice. Don't expect others to want you to make choices for them. If you do, you may find yourself on the wrong side of the choice.

What if regs were passed so that maximum caliber for deer were to be set at .25" because bigger caliber guns offer an "unfair advantage" and the poor deer don't stand a chance. Afterall, it's sport hunting and sporting would require you to be within 50 yards. Maybe we should outlaw centerfires alltogether because they are unfair. We should all go back to flinging sharp sticks, or round balls.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not like the .22 centerfire hunters really have a lot of grace on their side either. Like bow hunters, they never admit failure or that their choice is a bit on the wimpy side. If they can use a .223 why don't they use a .22 WMR? After all it does have less recoil, muzzle blast and if used within its effective range works.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Now you're dragging bowhunters into this? Is there anyone beside yourself that you actually like?
You should consider that all hunters should be supportive of each other as there are already plenty of anti-hunting and anti-gun people looking for a week spot to take advantage of.

All hunters who hunt long enough will miss or make a poor shot. What does that have to do with this? A wounded animal is a wounded animal regardless of what's been used. Gut shot with a bigger gun is still gut shot.

Maybe you should start a new thread on the rimfire forum for your question.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
You will find out that SR4759, really believes that he knows everything and that everyone else is an idiot.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Phil N
posted Hide Post
I love these discussions. popcorn

US Army 1977-1998

Posts: 82 | Location: Carthage, NY | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of R8 PRO
posted Hide Post
I live in the UK where for 2 species of our smaller deer .223 is legal, I have hunted more with my .223 than my .243 by some margin, I do eat nearly everything I shoot and the .223 does way less damage than my .243.

I also have a .300 win mag and that's all I have to say about that.

Relax and light a Cuban.

Posts: 177 | Location: UK | Registered: 16 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is what you guys need to do is start a new website just about 223 hunting, maybe find some guys from Africa that shoot cape buffalo with 223, or some russian boys that like to dump a mag of 7.62 into a Yak.

Just another troll post which has had the desired effect - getting folks all riled up. Every subsequent poster took the bait hook, line and sinker. When will we learn not to feed the trolls? Roll Eyes

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
If they can use a .223 why don't they use a .22 WMR? After all it does have less recoil, muzzle blast and if used within its effective range works.

I gave my .22 to a family member and now the smallest caliber I have is the .223. However, thanks for the suggestion. Maybe some other hunters with a .22 will take your advice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought there was a site over at the fire. Something about .223AI. Seems like a bunch of like thinking .223 users. And they're so polite.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
And they're so polite.

Yes, they are always very polite on that site.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
223 works great for our deer up here, I hunt them with a AR all the time! The natives shoot the shit out of everything up here with Mini14s! Caribou, Moose, bear. Everything!

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.."Jedi Knight".... Oh for Christ sake, give me a break. Let's all go down to the video parlour and kill some zombies.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Now zomies I have the perfect weapon for!
I just pull the plug out of the wall and all the zombies disappear - it's like magic!

I have known folks (older than I) who used to hunt deer with their 222 and they thought it was the best deer gun ever made. A lot of the merit has to do with the ability of a hunter to get within the lethal range of whatever he shoots and the choice of bullet is up to the task.

You can argue with something that works - but it makes you look stupid.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote