THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Question about Ruger M77 Mk II Varmint

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Ruger M77 Mk II Varmint
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was in the local shop today. They had a M77 MkII Varmint in .22-250 on the used rack for $599 with the Ruger rings. The gun was in immaculate condition. At least 98% and maybe better. I really couldn't see that it had been used much if at all. I liked the feel of the gun quite a bit. The trigger was pretty nice. A lot of take up but then a pretty decent and fairly light break. The stock fit me well. I just have no experience with these guns and can't find much on the internet (or my google-fu is weak). The little I found that was based on actual experience with the guns was quite positive with them apparently shooting pretty well. The negative seemed to be based mostly on hearasay and internet rumor.

Does anyone have some actual experience with these guns and would be willing to share their experience and opinions? I'm kinda wanting to take this home with me, but I'd also like to know more before I plunk down the cash.

Thank you.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my Mk II in .243 around 16 years ago, not long after they changed to stainless actions. I really liked the rifle...except the stock. It was improperly inletted and would bind up the action when the front action screw was tightened. Once that was fixed it worked well, firing sub-moa groups with selected loads. The two-stage trigger took a bit to get used to but nothing dramatic. But my M700 VLS was a more satisfactory varmint rifle.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Ruger 77 Target Varmint 204 Ruger when they first came out. I purchased five boxes of 32 Gr ammo so that I could have 100 cases for reloading. I got .4 to .6 inch five shot 100 Yd groups with the Hornady ammo. I have had to give other rifles a tune up to get that small of groups. Some persons take care of their firearms and still look new after fireing a lot of rounds. Fast fireing of a 22-250 round can damage the rifling near the action. If you can check the rifleing with a bore scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey LWD, Back when Ruger went to the MK-II design, they redesigned the absolutely excellent Trigger so it was Non-Adjustable. That was when I quit buying Ruger rifles.

I have no idea if they are still Non-Adjustable or not. And you never know what kind of Loads have been through a "Used Rifle".

On the other hand, a buddy of mine bought a M700 setting on the "Used" rack earlier this year that had no indication that a Scope had ever been mounted on it. Basically, it had been previously owned, but never fired by that owner.

Best of luck, which ever way you go.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mid-1990s MK II Target has an adjustable two-stage trigger. Don't confuse the standard MK IIs with the target rifles.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My buddy has one we took it out p dogging a lot out of the box a good soild .750 rifle. he killed lots of p dogs with it. He shot that barrel out the put a douglas air gage on it now it is around a .5 rifle.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornHave experience with three of those rifles;one in 22-250, one in .223 and one in .243. They are all tack drivers. tu2roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same as above in .223 and 22-250 very accurate with little effort. Bought both of mine in 1995-6. back then it was a 2 stage 2lb trigger and mine still break cleanly, but with a bit of overtravel. Both will still keep 10 shots in a nickle and they both have well over 3000 rounds down'em. The 223 is approaching 6000.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own one in 25-06. It will shoot .5 moa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had one years ago, and it was not very accurate.
I think Rem 700s are far superior.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own one in 22.250 and a pair of them in 223.

As said above, they are tack drivers.. have excellent triggers.

I've been playing with doing switch barrels on several Rugers lately with no problems.

I did trade off a first year production model, that I got used on a horse trade.

at the time I got it, the owner told me it had 5000 rounds down the tube, but it was still a good shooter. price was CHEAP as the old guy was getting out of hunting due to age.

I put 10,000 rounds thru it ( Blue Dot loads).
Bought it for $300.00 with a Tasco Custom Shop 8 x 32 scope on top.. sold it when I was offered $400.00 for it, and told I could keep the scope.

the person who ended up with it, put another 2,000 rounds down the tube in the first year..
shooting Nosler 50 grain BTips, over H 335.

darn rifle with 17000 rounds down the barrel with that load was still shooting dime sized holes at 100 yds..

so they have nothing to apologize for..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey LWD, Back when Ruger went to the MK-II design, they redesigned the absolutely excellent Trigger so it was Non-Adjustable. That was when I quit buying Ruger rifles.

My SS .223 with a Zytel stock went to the gunsmith's and had a Timney trigger installed. Rifle now has one of the best triggers I have ever experienced.

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i;ve owned a few over the years. all of them were quite accurate, but all of them responded well to glass bedding. the mark II trigger isn't adjustable but can be lightened in about the same time as it takes to pull the barreled action out of the stock. a simple spring replacement is all it takes

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And it isn't too tough or expensive to add a better trigger if you really like the rifle.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger MkII Target in 223, shoot .5" groups. It does have a adjustable Trigger. I believe all the Targets have an adjustable trigger. I have had this rifle for about 15 years, and the trigger came set at 2.5#'s and I have never adjusted. Barrel was completely free floated from factory.