New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone shoot a 6mm PPC?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got a DEAL on a Sako A1 in a Mcmillian Sako Hunter stock. What bullet should I start with? I have some 55, 95, and 100 bullets in inventory. I'm going to purchase brass, dies and a base tomorrow.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What twist?

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the Sako 6PPCs came with a 1:14 twist rate. I shoot mine with 70 grs bullets, and they shoot very well, although I use mine on the range only.

Our very own "1894" uses his Sako PPC for hunting, so he may provide more input on hunting type bullets suitable.

Attention: the Sako chambers are unlikely to be able to use unturned necked up Lapua 220 Russ. brass. So be careful, if this was how you intended to get hold of 6PPC brass. You can still use Lapua brass, but you may be forced to turn necks.

Norma 6mm PPC brass can normally be used unturned. It can be hard to come by at times, though. Try Cabelas or Bruno's.

Graf's used to sell 6PPC brass with their own headstamp, but I believe they stopped selling that? Sako 6PPC brass is no longer manufactured. Either would have to be found on the second hand market. Either can be used in a Sako chamber, unturned.

VV N133 is the standard powder used by most benchresters. It has worked well for my 70 grs (Sierra) loads.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Norma has just announced more 6ppc brass (and perhaps ammo?) At the moment I just shoot the Sako and Norma factory 70gr bthp loads and don't yet hunt.

Mine is also an A1 in my case a sporter repeater. It has a 14" twist. My plan is to use the 70gr hornady soft point as that has worked well in other 6mms on small deer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes - with 70 gr BT's

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of exabit
posted Hide Post
I believe that all Sako's are chambered for "6mm PPC USA", i.e. non tight neck. You can buy Norma or Sako brass/ammo and just start shooting without any neck turning.

I have a Sako S491 Varmint single-shot with 24" barrel which shoots very well with Sierra MatchKing 70 and V-Max 75. The factory barrel is marked with "SAKO 6 PPC USA".

/ Rikard

Posts: 209 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If it is a 1:14, try Hornady 75 gr. V-Max's, it should shoot very well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Berger 68 gr and AA-2015 powder using CCI Br primers.
Accurate Powder data
In that Sako 6 PPC USA chamber I was jumping .101 to the lands and the rifle shot low .2's or less at 100 for five shot groups.

This was using Sako 6 PPC USA brass .
The new Norma brass is great I hear.

Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a decent 6 PPC case look at Silver State. Not Lapua but the price is right.

Greg

Posts: 137 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Sako l-461 Vixen shoots 70gr Nosler BTs from Sako brass using H-322 into a tight cloverleaf at 100 yds. It took a trip to the gunsmith to bed the action, a lot of tweeking loads, and a lot of mistakes to get the load. The biggest mistake was using a cheap ($29.95) digital scale. Once I went to the RCBS beam scale, I found the load with one ladder. Had I discovered the scale problem earlier, I might have saved the cost of bedding. Next venture will be to try the N-133 which seems to be the choice of the bench rest guys.

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwcars:
My Sako l-461 Vixen shoots 70gr Nosler BTs from Sako brass using H-322 into a tight cloverleaf at 100 yds. It took a trip to the gunsmith to bed the action, a lot of tweeking loads, and a lot of mistakes to get the load. The biggest mistake was using a cheap ($29.95) digital scale. Once I went to the RCBS beam scale, I found the load with one ladder. Had I discovered the scale problem earlier, I might have saved the cost of bedding. Next venture will be to try the N-133 which seems to be the choice of the bench rest guys.

Be sure to use enough neck tension with the VV 133.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
quote:
Originally posted by dwcars:

Be sure to use enough neck tension with the VV 133.

I'm using a Lee collet die to resize. How do I determine when I have adequate neck tension? How do I determine from a fired cartridge whether I have enough neck tension? Thanks for your response.

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
After sizing the brass carefully measure the outside of the necks. Then after seating the bullets, measure the necks once again. The difference would be an indication of how much neck tension you have. (There are a couple of other minor factors) Try to get about .0025" of tension.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have one but I reload for a buddies Sako. H322 and 65 gr Hornady V-maxs shoot dime sized groups @ 100yds.My buddy was so happy with that we never tried anything else.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forget the heavy 95 and 100 grain bullets if you have a 14" twist PPC. I tried some pointy 85 grn Winchester Match bullets in my 40XBR in 6X47 Rem.
They never hit the target. 60,70 and 75 grain bullets shoot about 3/8" groups in the same rifle.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Recently tried AR Comp powder in the 6 PPC with 68 grain Berger flat base bullets. For me shot better than VV 133.

I found two nodes which seem good and no pressure problems what so ever in my rifle... 26.3 grains and 27.2 grains. .220 Russian Sako cases and Federal 205 M primers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a lovely HB PPC for about a year or so and did a pile of different powder loads with it. H322 and H335 worked great with 75gr Vamx bullets. With 68gr berger the recommended powders are VV 133 and 135. Really a fun rifle to shoot with at the range and mine did make on fun trip to the gopher patch. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote