Tools

Sako 75 range results
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
Promised TSJ I'd post results:

260 Grey Wolf:

100 yds, 3 shots, 1x fired brass, primer pockets uniformed/reamed, did not trim brass though, Federal GM primers.

IMR 4350 46.5gr 123 SMK....did not like much it seems, but I may not have weighed charges well, need to play more with these bullets but it just may not like them, ironically my 6.5/308 10-12 years ago never shot 120 MK's well.

Could be bullet seat depth/and or charge....???

Following loads used 43.5gr same IMR 4350.

Now 140 Matchkings, as my first groups fired on new brass promised, today this was my best group= .561 and indications are this 9 twist Sako can/will handle the 140's SURPRISING as all get out to me based on my former 6.5/308 23" custom which had a tighter chamber/throat, and was a med. hvy bbl miking .725 or .75 cannot recall exactly. This Sako is about .633 or so.

Next 140 amax, also showed strong likelihood to shoot with new brass, today it shot a .781, first two shots cutting each other.

Last, two groups with Berger 140 VLD (thanks for the 'samples' TSJ!)

.779 and next .646

These groups were both very round and consistent in pattern.

To say I have found a solid deer rifle would be 'accurate' as this gun has NOTHING done, out of the box, trigger 40 ounces = 2.5 lbs so it COULD go 1/2 lb lighter but I may leave it, likely let me GROWING 10 year old break it in/bloody it next time he gets a shot on a deer.

I will do some more testing but suffice to say this gun seems to be a solid shooter .5-.8 MOA for 3, and it is shooting consistent POI which is key for a hunting rifle. Looking to top it off with a light 6x36 Leupy with duplex or post duplex reticle, sight in and call good for next hunting season, but will keep the 6-24 4200 side focus on for some more load work. Ironically my last group with my 7mm BR was with a Nikon 4x32 Prostaff and I shot a group in the .4's. I think a 4x or 6x would be intirely adequate for a solid deer rifle, maybe the 6x would allow for shots to 300-400 at the extreme....far as I care to shoot with almost anything since wind and drop really kick in after 300-350.

Oh, I did decide to put Talley mounts after my first trip to range, wanted to get scope lower and the mounts seem to be simple and strong as can hope for, doubt anything will ever shift.

No chrony today, forgot tripod at home...will get data later...primers in good shape could go a little more on powder. I did use 1 grain less on my first trip to range with unfired brass.

I set the Redding die per instructions, partial size, but only sized 50-60% of neck, so if anyone out there has experience to support my getting die further down on neck to increase accuracy let me know.

I would love to say it shoots 3/8-1/2" groups and it may, but today, these loads, this shooter....(contacts were a tad blurry at times), conditions....mind you I had a guy come up and set up RIGHT next to my bench with 300 Weatherby Mags and his dad/friend did as well.....WAY too much blasting going on...hate that.

Asked one guy, ya'll must get some far shots...BIG scopes, Muzzle Breaks etc.....he said "I can see out to 600 yds", few minutes later I asked, "so how far have you gotten some deer?", he said, "I killed a deer at 390, and a hog at 370" and I thought WHY one God's earth would "I" want to lug a 8-10lb (each guy had a few custom guns heavy taper bbls and big heavy high powered Swarovski scopes), just to tag a deer at under 400 yds?

It seems they never shot anything over 400, yet were 'capable' likely to 1000 if they could pull off the shot.

To me, I am happy using anything from a 6mm Benchrest to a 7mm-08 up to 400 yds on deer/hogs. Pick a good bullet, shoot it from an accurate rifle/place your shot, and get your knife ready!

I am looking forward to myself and/or son killing some deer in the future with this 6.5mm.

Long live the 6.5's I say! Oh, forgot to add, the guy next to me, his groups were about 1.5-1.75" for 3 shots.....many of them. I think honestly it was his shooting/lack thereof more than the intrinsic accuracy of the rifle(s). Loud hard kicking guns don't make for accuracy and each guy had lead sleds and bags of lead shot to help.....whatever good that did....me I just enjoyed myself without all that extra equipment and shot groups half the size, KNOWING all well my 260 would kill a deer as far as any of us could hit it, based on reports by those long distance guys using bullets like 140 amax to just over 600 yds from a 260(ai).

Hope you get this thread TSJ!

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
65.br,
I'd call those excellent results for a factory rifle, even if its a Sako.
As we've discussed before, I tend toward the 120 gr. nosler ballistic tips in my 260 kimber montana and both the 120 nos.bt and the 130 gr nosler accuboonds in my 260 Sako varmint.

I continue to get away from high magnification scopes with big objectives as I age. 99% of my killing is done between 110 and 250 yds w/ the bulk of this under 150 yds. If the animal is not DRT, I find it much easier to find where you hit an animal, and find a blood trail at these ranges. Unless you can mark the exact spot before you shoot it 400 to 600 yds its been my experience its hard to find the point of impact.

I have a 2.5 x 8 Leupold mounted on the Kimber montana. I have a 3 x 9 Swarovski on Sako. I usually set them on 4 power when I'm hunting and adjust them accordingly if I need to. I like to be able to take a running shot if it is necessary. At ten power and a hundreds yards, well I'm not that good. Two years ago on opening morning I had salted a road with corn. I was sitting on a side of a hill about 75 yds away. A group of hogs came out. That morning I had my 45-70 guide gun. It is topped with the Leupold 2.5. x 8. I shot one standing and was able to drop three more on the run, mainly because I could find them in the scope.

As to forgetting stuff. I'm always getting to the range and finding out I left my pushpins, tripod, rest or chrony at home. They say two things happen when you get old. One is you lose your memory and I can't remember the second thing.
Keep me posted on your range results.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Oh Sh...oot! I guess I am Just showing signs of getting over the hill!!!!! Ha!

Hey, yes, I am happy even though its a S O C K O and not a Remchester.....and I know they shoot well too. Never have to worry in field about my 700 bolt in 338/06 whose bolt handle fell off on the first shot after I returned from a Rocky Mt. Elk hunt! One piece bolt-Sako.

Anyway, as a Rem fan at the range told me today - he never had it happen, and he has had MANY.....that was NOT supposed to happen.....but when it does.....it's not a fun experience.....or a good feeling. I guess it's like a woman, if you ever get that trust broken, it's HARD to get it back...

Yes, on scopes, my 7mmBR this year was set up for my son-10yr old, with 4x so he did not have to see any extra wobbles, shot at 100 yds, and unfortunately I had to take over and finish job...hit it far back and I am not one to allow an animal to needlessly suffer so wanted to be sure to complete the job ASAP, which I did, running at 200 yds, dropped the deer and in the 4x with the mild recoil of the 7BR watched it tumble end over end JUST as it was about to leave the field into a thicket. The wide view and steady sight pic allowed my instincts to take over as I never consciously thought about the shot, it just happened. Such is what I did shooting a running doe in the woods long ago, 4x B&L Compact Balfor....7/08, swung, shot, down it went, 80-100 yds....

Never had a want for LESS or MORE scope with my 6x's, but those days using the 4x's, they worked wonderfully, and I may do more hunting with them. It really is amazing how Keeping it Simple makes the process smoother, with less decisions/thought, hesitations, fumbling, and even room for error such as having too small a FOV when you need more, too many shakes/wobbles or over confidence when you take the shot, OR just wondering WHAT power is my scope and/or WHERE do I set it. Likely anything from 3x - 9x would do the job, but sometimes it's more difficult in certain situations with higher power. Shooting that 4x Nikon at the range, I Rung the 420+ yd gong MANY MANY times with my tackdriving 7br and its low power never caused me to want for more....to help ring the gong...now had I been shooting for a itty bitty group......that is different....as perhaps a prairie dog....but my aiming did not need THAT much detail, often deer do not either.

Take care.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new rifle...

Sakos are always a class piece of equipment...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Hi Seafire, I tell you, the 140 amax does well, and I cannot wait to try some 120's....

Also, broke down in a weak moment and snatched up a #1 Ruger K1A, ltd run stainless/nice walnut 6.5x55......hoping for good things in this one as well. If it does about as well, I may just give this Sako to my 10 yr old next season as he is growing fast and can use it for a lifetime.

I will perhaps want to develop some reduced loads for range time with my son.

The thing I'd rather see different on the Sako's is the stainless a smoother bead blast like other SS rifles....though this finish is very dull to be less reflective of light while hunting so it may in fact serve a useful purpose, and I could do w/o the Beretta markings on the bbl but oh well...not that bad. Still says Sako and they have pride in their history of making quality arms.