Find
Notify
Tools

Help with a 243.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted
I've just re-barreled my 243 to a 1-8 Pac Nor at 23". The intention was for long range Varmint (Red Fox). I'm sure I made a mistake in the twist as the 105s and 107s may not be ideal.
Anyway, I'm trying for an 87V-Max, 95Nosler CBT and 105 A-Max load.
I have a recent shoulder injury and wondered (it seems to) if you get more of a "shunt" from faster powders.

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you made a mistake at all. The faster twist will still shoot lighter bullets accurately provided you're a little careful with selection. Avoid hornady spsxs and speer tnts, the lightest vmaxs might be a little fragile (though I have no knowledge of that)

The number 1 issue with long range shooting of small targets is wind. VLD minimise wind drift. Drop can be taken account of by rangefinding and some method of aiming off be it holdover, mildot or dial ups.

Perception of recoil differs between individuals. A good recoil pad and/or a moderator would help a lot more than any powder issues.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a recent shoulder injury and wondered (it seems to) if you get more of a "shunt" from faster powders.

Actually, it is theorectially just the opposite, although the difference in recoil between powders giving the same bullet the same velocity will be undetectable.

The reason that faster powders produce (theoretically) less recoil is that you use less powder than with a slower powder, and therefore there is less total ejecta. It is the total mass of the ejecta (bullet, powder, and powder gases) that goes into the mass portion of the recoil equation. But dropping the velocity by 25 fps or the weight of the bullet by 5 grains reduces recoil by a far greater amount than switching from a slower to a faster powder.

If recoil is a problem for you, use the lightest bullet at the lowest velocity that will dependably accomplish your goal.

Or put a pound of lead in your stock.

Or being a Brit, you have the option of adding a sound moderator (a totally civilized way to go), which will both increase the weight of your gun and slightly decrease recoil due to the dispersion of gases perpendicular to the vector of the bullet.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Johnny F;

I can set you up with lighter load data...

but it would be with American powders,

what kind of velocity are you look at desiring..

the faster the bullet, the more powder and the more recoil...so what can you live with for the range you desire to be able to take your quarry with?

For my fast twist 6mm barrels, I still use a 75 grain HP Hornady as my preferred bullet...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
I would stick with 4064 or varget, it is a medium powder with a moderate amount of kick. The lighter bullets in a 1-8 twist shouldn't be a problem with the velocities the 243 blast. You may need to stay away from the varmint bullets at velocities greater than 3200 fps as the jackets may shread from the rpm.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote