New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm/06 or 6.5/06?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you were going to rebarrel a rifle to one of these two calibers, which would you pick? Both would be for varmints/deer/hogs, and nothing bigger.

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If "varmints" includes high-volume shooting at colony dwellers (prairie dogs, etc.), then the 6 is preferable over the 6.5. If "varmints" means an occassional coyote or bobcat that comes along while you're deer hunting, then the 6.5 provides you a little edge for deer and hogs.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dawn2Dusk
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with the above post by StoneCreek.

I like the options offered by the .264 cal bullets for larger game and what's awesome is if you ever do decide to take on Elk or Mule Deer the 6.5 can be loaded up with stout 156 and 160 grain bullets to do the job at hand.

--------------------------

"D2D"

Shot Placement Is What It's About... Good Hunting To All...

Posts: 37 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Hey how is this 3 in a row. I'd opt for the 6.5. The 6-06 is WAY overbore. Puts a lot of wear in the barrel for very little gain over the smaller cased 6mms.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Analog:
I have them both, and they are both excellent performers. I shot an antelope in Wyoming, with a 120 grain Sierra Soft Point, perfect results. I would call the 6.5-06 a souped up 25-06, or a little 270, great cartridge, great for all but the largest game, and varmints as well.

The 6mm-06, is a real hot rod, inspite of what Ramrod has to say, LOL! I am launching an 87 HPBT @ 3700fps. At 400+ yards it really smokes p-dogs etc. It is capable of killing deer, as is a 243 or 6MM Rem, but I view it as a long range "chuck" gun. The barrel life runs 1700 to 1800 rounds, and for me that is plenty. I really don't worry about barrel life, within reason, that just tells me I am shooting a lot. When the barrels are gone I put on another, no big DEAL.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 6mm-06, is a real hot rod, inspite of what Ramrod has to say, LOL

If you are getting 3700 that is fantastic that is about 200 more than I got from my 26". I took a 6mm that I was getting 3450+ from that weight bullet rechambered to 6-06 and added 75FPS for the extra powder. If I could have gotten 3700 I might change my vote. No I would still opt for the 6.5.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Ramrod:

A 28" barrel does the trick every time. I could probobly get more velocity, but I am more interested in group size, as I said I only use the 6-06 for shots over 400yds. As to the 6.5, how could anyone go wrong!

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the 6.5-06, it's as sweet a wildcat as the law allows!!!

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm-06 is one of the few 6mm's that's just too damn big for it's own good, and even in a heavy barrel tends to heat up too quickly to do much volume shooting.
And it doesn't matter if you call it the
6mm-06, a 240Gibbs or a 240wby(same bolt face and approximatly the same case capacity, ignore the decorative belt)

Add to that you might feel better on Hogs with something that slings a bit more metal....

But you also mention the 6.5-06 which has a much better selection of deer/hog bullets available.

But I'll point out that you skipped over a non-wildcat that splits the difference between the 6mm/.244dia and the 6.5/.264dia... the .257/6.35mm dia cartridges
like the 25-06Rem which is a bit less exotic being a "domestiCATed" cartridge, though depending on how you
consider it the 25cal cartridges can also be considered "6.5's".

So what exactly is wrong with say... a 25-06 or if you prefer a wildcat, a 25-06A-I a 25Gibbs?

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the 6.5, too. I would consider spliting the difference, and go with the 25,06.
Quarter bores are great fun.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Count me with Allan and Thomas. Unless you must play with a wildcat (in which case I'd choose the 6.5) the 25'06 seems like a much simpler solution.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I would go with the 6.5-06 because I would use it on larger game than squirrels and P dogs, and I really like the 6.5 mm. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just strongly resist any small temptation you might have to "throat it long" with the excuse that you can "seat bullets out" to "avoid impinging on propellant space"
because quite simply this simply isn't an issue.

Though throating any 6.5bore "long" eliminates
any real chance of best accuracy with the lighter
bullets, like the 100gr partition or "varmint" weight
bullets.

The quarter bores are the largest practical "dual pupose" cartridge, because no other bore has a good selection of varming bullets (the terminal effects of an arriving 75gr hornady are hard to surpass for "visual impression")

AllanD

Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5s RULE!!

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
I have a 6mm/06 and it's really disappointing. I'd rather have a 6mm Remington as I'd get standard brass and about the same velocity and everything is less costly when one stays with a standard cartridge.

Now the 6.5-06 is totally another story. This thing is about as good as it gets for deer and pronghorns and a lot of plains game as well. I'm even considering a rechamber of my 6.5 X 55!!

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Not that I'm oppinionated or anything..... but after you've spent a little time hunting with a Roberts or .25-06 you'll find the 6mm's of no use, and the 6.5's will strike you as good "deer" rounds. Big Grin

I think the 25's rule the roost when it comes to a truly dual purpose cartridge.

If I had to pick one of these it'd be the 6.5-06 with no reservations. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Here again this discussion about the 6 and the 6.5-06, comes down to use. I view the 6-06 as a long range, over 400 yd chuck and p-dog gun, and I built mine with those parameters in mind. Under 400 yds, in 6mm, a 243 or 6mm Rem. will do as good a job, with a lot less barrel heat. But way out there, and with a long barrel the 6mm-06 is superb.

The 6.5-06, also a favortie of mine, is just about as good an "all around" cartridge as there is.

!

Jerry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5-06 gets my vote

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jerry...depends on what you are shooting at. I have a 6-06 improved and a .264 WM. Both are excellent in the long range shooting department. I use 80 gr coreloks at a chronographed 3811 fps for antelope, deer and the occassional coyote. If it is to windy..the 264 WM gets the nod with 120 grs at 3400fps. Both are deadly. I'm not spitting lead a praire dogs or chucks so the barrels will last longer. But it comes down to what gets hit by the bullet and bullet placement.

Posts: 40 | Location: Lame Deer, Montana | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And as far as launching 120's at 3400fps from a 264Win?

That seem s a bit "hot", even the Barnes "suicide for handloaders" manual only shows 3347fps for a 120gr XLC

26" barrel?

AllanD

*We Band of 45-70er's*

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
even the Barnes "suicide for handloaders" manual only shows 3347fps for a 120gr XLC

AllanD

Allan you should get a major award for the most accurate depiction of a reference sources true value!

ROFLMAO, several times over... well done

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a max load in my rifle and accurate using H570 which don't exist anymore. I used up my last jug of it. Don't know what I will use to take its place yet. I still have 5 boxes of ammo to use up..so it will be awhile.

Posts: 40 | Location: Lame Deer, Montana | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say, go for a classic oldtimer. The 256 Newton, I have one so I'm prejudiced, is a 6.5-06 and dies are available from Redding and RCBS. Jamison is setting up to make a run of Newton brass in all the calibers, so your headstamp will match the barrel markings, and 270 makes into perfect (cheap) cases. The other option, is the Marines' excellent 1000 yard cartridge, the 6.5-284. Norma makes brass, or you can bulk buy 500 from Midway or Grafs' and have a lifetime supply. The 6.5-284 is only about 2.2(?)" long, and would make up into a dandy short actioned rifle.

JMHO

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5x270 is the same thing as the 6.5x64 Brenneke which is a factory cartridge in Europe. It is not commonly available in the States as factory ammo. The advantage is tha you can use either '06 or 270 Win cases, but you can not do so with the 6.5x06.

Unless you intend to do mostly Pdog shooting, in which case I would not recommend either cartridge, the 6.5 will get the job done much better on the larger game and the barrel will last long enough to be of use.

Posts: 30 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MajorCaliber:
6.5-06 gets my vote

mine too

Posts: 66 | Location: Melbourne, Vic Australia | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brasskeeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogre6br:
quote:
Originally posted by MajorCaliber:
6.5-06 gets my vote

mine too

Mine too

Posts: 135 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote