New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Safari Accuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been considering adding a safari or medallion to my arsenal in a caliber such as .243 or .257. I am somewhat apprehensive about what kind of accuracy to expect from these guns which will most likely be 22 inch pencil barrels. Any experience or advice will be appreciated.

Posts: 116 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you speaking of the original Safaris built on either FN, or later, Sako actions? If so, you'll spend a lot of time and even more money finding a .257 Roberts. The .243 is fairly common, but be prepared to pay a premium for a nice one.

The only one I have experience with is a .243 in the HB configuration, which is quite accurate. However this doesn't say much about the pencil barrel version. Like most guns, they'll vary from gun to gun, but there's no reason that the pencil barrel model won't give you 3 or 4 very accurate shots before heating starts moving the group around.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am considering the Sako action Safaris with the pencil barrel. I have seen a couple in .257, but relatively few were imported.

Posts: 116 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You absolutley can not go wrong with this rifle. Expect MOA with the Pencil barrel.

You are probably aware of the "Salt Wood" issue. So, check manufacture date of rifle. The salt wood is not an issue with me.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I am considering the Sako action Safaris with the pencil barrel. I have seen a couple in .257, but relatively few were imported.

My understanding is that Browning did chamber a few Safaris in .257, but I think that they were only built on the FN action, which was used for the "medium" calibers until it was replaced with the Sako L579 in later production. If there was ever an L579 Safari chambered in .257 I am unaware of it -- but such a gun would be a great find!

Browning did chamber a very few L579s in .284 -- and they are exceedingly rare. I owned one once, but sold it to the lure of profligrate greenbacks.

I did see a .257 on a Sako L579 at a gunshow near Dallas a number of years ago that was purportedly built for one of the H.L. Hunt family. Nice gun, but the limited magazine on the L579 does crowd the .257 quite a bit.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .243 safari on the L579.
It is shoots prety well although nothing spectacular yet.
I get just over MOA with mine but there are many more load posibilities I have yet to try and I bet at least one will tighten things up.
I bought an FN marked .257 roberts awhile back and when I took it to the range The 1st shot pointed out that a previous owner had bored it out to 25,06.
FYI I have a CZ 550 american in .243 and it shoots rings around the browning, but it should as it weighs 8 lbs to the brownings less than 7.
I am thinking of turning the CZ in to a .260 and having the stock trimmed down.
...tj3006

freedom1st