Find
Notify
Tools

AA2015 in the 22-250......
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Been trying several loads during the past few months through a Remington XR100 Range Master in 22-250 w/ 14 twist.

If any of you are thinking of trying 2015 out in your 250s, it might be a good one for you.

The rifle shoots several combinations well but, 2015 has become my favorite powder so far. W/ 52 grain Amaxes and 55 grain Blitz Kings it prints boring ragged hole groups at 100 w/ ease.

I'm using Win Brass, WLR primers, and 32.5 grains of 2015. On my last trip to the range I moved out to 200 and shot 5 Amaxes and 3 BKs w/ the above charge. W/ the amaxes I had 3 through a ragged hole one about 3/8s right and one about 1/2" high for a total 5 shot group of .8" at 200 yards. W/ the 3 BKs I had a .6 group at 200.

For foulers I had thrown together some quick loads that consisted of a level 2.5 Lee Scoop of Varget under 52 MKs and these grouped .6 at 200 for 3 shots as well which was quite surprizing(Not bad for dippered loads). I had tried the 52 MKs w/ alittle hotter loads and couldn't match the accuracy of the AMX and BKs but, I may have to back down on the charges and try again. Varget hasn't been as consistent as 2015 thus far in this rifle.

I still haven't chroned the 2015 loads yet, mainly been searching for the best accuracy. I did manage to chrono H4350, H380, Varget, and H4895 loads w/ 52-55 grainers, All of which were close to Lee Manual velocities.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheersTomorrow I will chrono some 2015 loads and post them here. Winkroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheersAs promised. Mod. 200 Stevens light weight barrel, all loads RP cases , Wlrm. primers accurate 2015 powder, 50 yds.

32.5 grs. 2015
  • 50 gr Tnt, Speer, oal=2.471", 3407 to 3491 fps. 4 shot 1/4" group.
  • 55gr.Varmint Nite Mare Mid South, 3470 to 3524 fps. 1" group.
  • 55gr fmjbt. Win. 3417 to 3476 fps. 2" group.
  • 55gr. fmjbt. blunt, Mid south.5 shot 1/4" group.

31.5 gr. 2015
  • 50 gr. TNT Speer, oal= 2.474", 3300 to3436 fps.the best, 7 shot 1/4" group.
  • 55gr. Vamint Nite Mare, Mid South, hot barrel, oal= 2.442", 3329 to 3405 fps. 3 shot 1/8" group, 7 shot 1/2" group, 12 shot 5/8 t0 3/4 " group.

Notice the over all increase in accuracy in 1 gr less powder. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Reloader
    posted Hide Post
    Sounds like it did well up close. I wonder what she'll do at 100 and 200.

Is that w/ a 22" barrel?

Next time I get to the range w/ this 26" tube, I'll run some over the chrony and see what they do.

Thanks for the update bartsche. I believe 2015 is definitely a worthy powder in the 22-250, may not be the fastest but, it's darn accurate in my rifle and that's the most important thing.

Have a good one

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Reloader:
    I wonder what she'll do at 100 and 200. LET me know

Is that w/ a 22" barrel? IT SURELY WAS; a light weight hunting barrel

Next time I get to the range w/ this 26" tube, I'll run some over the chrony and see what they do.And let us know that also.

I believe 2015 is definitely a worthy powder in the 22-250, may not be the fastest but, it's darn accurate ***Surprised me!

Have a good one*** Got a good one just don't use it much anymore.

Reloader

waveroger

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Wlrm. primers

Does this translate into Winchester large rifle MAGNUM primer? If so, why a magnum primer? Especially in this size case.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by onefunzr2:
    quote:
    Wlrm. primers

Does this translate into Winchester large rifle MAGNUM primer? If so, why a magnum primer? Especially in this size case.

That's what I had . Use them a lot. may not need them but I use them. {Problem?) Roll Eyesroger

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    The only problem I've ever had with using mag rifle primers in cases the size of or smaller than the '06 is the ammo tends to be less accurate across the board.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Reloader
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

I wasn't talking about my rifle, I've already shot it plenty at 100 and 200.

I was asking about your Stevens, How does she shoot out at 100 and 200?

I haven't persoanlly seen the new Stevens rifles yet. From the pictures they look like the pre-accu trigger Savages.

Does it have the same trigger that the Pre-Accutrigger Savages had?

Seems like they'd be a good inexpensive varmint gun for around the camp.

Have a Good Day

Reloader

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Reloader:
    quote:

I wasn't talking about my rifle, I've already shot it plenty at 100 and 200.
    I was asking about your Stevens, How does she shoot out at 100 and 200?some day if these old bones willallow it I may go to 100

I haven't persoanlly seen the new Stevens rifles yet. From the pictures they look like the pre-accu trigger Savages.

Does it have the same trigger that the Pre-Accutrigger Savages had?yes

Seems like they'd be a good inexpensive varmint gun for around the camp.A friend of mine bought a .223, a .243,and a7-08 or maybe a .260 or both when they were on sale for$259.00. Sadly I only bought one.I have gotten the trigger pull down to 5#.That trigger like many military rifles will teach you to hold your sight picture while you learn to properly squeeze.Great walk about hunting rifles. I like it better as far as repeatability than my CZ 527 American. thumbroger

Have a Good Day

Reloader

one of us
    Picture of Reloader
    posted Hide Post
    Sounds like a good deal.

I figured they'd probably have them at Wal-mart and some of the local gun shops by now but, haven't seen any yet.

I know what you mean on the stiff trigger. The older Savage rifles I have were luckily able to be adjusted down to 3-3.5 lbs.

cheers

Reloader

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    I know this is a different caliber BUT I have been using 2015 for 15 years in the 250AI. I had a Model 7 with a ER Shaw bbl and it would shoot 1/2" with 85 Speers. I now have a Model 7 with a Lilja and it shoots 75 and 85 gr in less than .3.
    Most people figure that the burn rate is too fast but that is not the case.

"Today is the 1st Day, of the Rest of Your Life"

Posts: 160 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Reloader
    posted Hide Post
    Got a chance to run some 2015 loads over my chrony this past weekend. 26" tube.

Components: 52 grn AMAX, Win Brass, WLR Primer

32.5 grains of 2015 produced ~3630fps @ 10'

33 grains of 2015 produced ~3660 @ 10'

32.5 grains produced a lower sd and a 3 shot group at 200 yards was approx .4 (tight clover leaf, haven't miced yet).

When pushing these pills at a similar velocity w/ varget, the groups are good as well, they just seem to not be as consistent in this rifle.

Have a Good One

Reloader