New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 hornet powder?
 Login/Join

<gunner7mm>
posted
got a 22 hornet form my encore comming hopefully be here thursday or friday.im getting a box of 35gr vmax's too. is h110 a good start for powder? thanks alot jason

Administrator
posted Hide Post
H110 should be very good for your Hornet. 2400 is another one that works well with it.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 68781 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<BrianT>
posted
Do'nt forget LIL'GUN it does 1/2" in my hornet with 40 grain V-max's

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried 2400 and 40 grain Ballistic Tips in my Contender Hornet and never got groups, it looked more like a shotgun pattern. I switched to Lil Gun and 35 gr. VMax's and my groups have gone to about .75 or smaller, not great, but better than anything else.

[This message has been edited by DennisF (edited 07-25-2001).]

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
<PatrickS>
posted
Never tried Lil Gun, but would like to. In the mean time I use IMR 4227 in my K-Hornet Contender. Very accurate, and not temperature sensitive. I shoot 11.5gns. with Rem. 7 1/2 primer and 40gn. V-Max. 2,450 fps out of a 10" barrel, and 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100yds. Very fun gun for prairie dogs and ground squirrels out to close to 200yds. Enjoy.

Patrick

<mike aw>
posted
I just received a Hornet from a custom maker in CO and am currently working up loads (in fact I just came from the range). I can't believe the velocities I'm gettin with LG. A 40gr Nosler BT is clocking at an avg of 2915fps with no pressure signs. Groups are in the 1" range. Nothing else I've ever tried even comes close. I'm using small rifle match primers and am getting ready to try small pistol primers. I had been loading with AA1680 but LG is killing it in the velocity department.

<George Capriola>
posted
Gunner,
The best results I've ever gotten is with Hodgdon's Lil'Gun, Berger 40 grain MEF's, and Federal #100 small pistol primers. Hornady's 40 grain V-Max has also given very good accuracy, consistantly. I've tried H110, H4227, IMR4227, and W296, and none of them have even come close to Lil'Gun!
Regards, George.

<gunner7mm>
posted
thanks guys ive never had this big of a response from any forom before i think il try the lil gun ive used lots of hogdon and its never let me down thanks maybe some day ill be able to help with a question

<BLH>
posted
Have tried Lil Gun in 17 Ack Hornet, 17 Squirrel, 22 Squirrel and the 6mm K-Hornet. Dirty and the SD and ES were always very erratic. Sometime I got good groups and the same load the next time would pattern. Tell ya what, if you will shoot ten 5 shot groups or better still shoot five 10 shot groups rather than a couple of 3 shoters you may come away with a different perspective.
Just my take.
Brooks

<Bud Park>
posted
The .22 K-Hornet is one of my favorite calibers - have tried the customary powders with varying results over the years in my Contender, more recently with a Contender carbine (no good; bore is bad) and most recently in a Ruger 77/22 Hornet rechambered to the "K" version. (I was told by the dealer that the magazine would feed the K-hornet, but in fact it required a wee bit of filing on the sides to clear the shoulder.) A powder not normally recommended for this cartridge that has been giving me some great results, and I plan to pursue further, is WW296 with the heavier bullets. I'm not at home right now, so don't have access to my data, but I'll retrieve it and post it tomorrow. I agree with the "shoot more than three" comment - I've been fooled more than once by three-shot groups!

Anybody else tried 296 in the K-Hornet?

Bud

<Slamfire>
posted
I used 296 in a Ruger #3 with 45 grain Sierra's. I was happy with the load, but unhappy with the brass.

<George Capriola>
posted
I'd like to comment about the velocities measured, and the velocity deviations with Lil'Gun powder. In his book "Rifle Accuracy Facts", Harold Vaughn presents evidence that powder gas overtakes the bullet at some point from the muzzle. Lil'Gun is a rather sooty powder, and there's a good chance that your chronograph may be measuring the velocity of the sooty gas, not the bullet. I plan on testing this theory by placing my chronograph at various distances from the muzzle and seeing if I can obtain lower, more consistant velocities.
Another vital shooting accessory, especially for .22Hornet shooting, is wind flags. The light weight of the bullet, combined with the relatively low velocities, means that wind can contirbute to a lot of "flyers". You'll want to set up one flag about 10 yards in front of the bench, and another flag about 10 yards in front of the target. I've found a lot of "bad" shots explained by looking at the wind flags. I also rely on using three 5-shot groups for load evaluation. This accounts for flyers, fouling shots for a clean barrel, copper fouling for a dirty barrel, heat, cold, etc.
Regarding the W296 powder, I've had good results using it with 52 grain HPBT Match bullets in my Ruger 77/22VHZ. I was looking for a "wind" load, and I found the closer I got to the "maximum", the better W296 worked. Unfortunately, at "maximum", 5 shots gave me 3 stuck bolts and 2 primers blown out of the cases! Needless to say, I abandoned that path of exploration, and shortly thereafter "found" Lil'Gun. I do all my Hornet handloading with Winchester cases, which have slightly thicker brass than Remington cases. Perhaps W296 would show less pressure signs with the Remington cases...
Regards, George.

<bobcash>
posted
2400 has worked the best for me behind the Nosler 45 gr Hornet bullet. 9.7 to 10.0, depending upon your firearm. Use mild primer; 6 1/2 Rem is a good one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Hornet really likes H110.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE WITH Robert MY GUN SHOOT GOOD WITH N110

<Chuck from arkansaw>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by gunner7mm:
got a 22 hornet form my encore comming hopefully be here thursday or friday.im getting a box of 35gr vmax's too. is h110 a good start for powder? thanks alot jason

I shoot H110 in my C.Z. hornet, get groups sub 1/2 minute with 35 & 40 gr V-max. Plan to try lil gun next.

<daveinmt>
posted
I have run about 1500 rounds of 35 Vmaxs and L-Gun through my 77/22 VHZ K-hornet, and am so pleased with this load probably will never deviate.

I am intriged by the comment made regarding spectacular velocites when using L-gun. I consistatnly get 3350 plus, and have been up over 3450 when load testing. Nothing else I tried has even come close. Accuracy is always sub 1 MOA and averages less than 3/4 if the wind is not howling.

Anybody else have experience with the
"unexplained velocity" phenomena using L-gun?

Daveinmt

<Dan C>
posted
Lil' Gun has to be one of the most bizarre powders I've ever used. Shaun Frame and I started testing it as soon as it came out in both the standard Hornet and the 'K'. Just ridiculous velocities in both, along with other unexplained traits. Adding more powder generally did not raise velocity. Extreme spreads sometimes approached 300 fps. Yet, my rifle (a VHZ at the time) shot tighter groups than any other powder tried with LG.

I never had good luck with the 35 gr. bullets and LG as SD's were off the charts. 40's were much better. Also tried different primers to try to tame the high SD's, with no luck.

I also ran into an odd occurence with two different rifles. I chrono'd both rifles with a load of Lil' Gun powder and 40 gr. Vmaxes as standard Hornets. Then after rechambering to 'K', both rifles gained at least 200 fps with THE SAME POWDER CHARGE in fireformed cases? Strange, eh?

High extreme spreads aside, the velocity advantage of Lil' Gun is impossible to ignore, and as long as the accuracy is sufficient it's a no brainer. My most recent K-Hornet, a CZ 527 with 21.5" barrel, routinely gets 3300 fps with 14.0 gr. of Lil' Gun and Hornady 40 Vmaxes. Accuracy is in the .5-.7" range, always. In the field it's like shooting a 222!

George, I already did the chrono-spacing test and am thoroughly convinced that the powder gases or particles are not the culprit. At 20 feet from the muzzle, there is no way any powder or ash particles would beat the bullet to the screens........Have also shot the rifle out to 400 yards on paper and the trajectory is consistent with what you would expect at 3300 fps.

With all that said, I prefer H-110 with the 35 gr. numbers (it also works well with heavier slugs) and Lil' Gun with 40's and heavier. If you must use the light 35 gr. bullets, Accurate #9 and Ramshot Enforcer also work great. But, the BC of the 35 is gonna give you a huge hit. Start the 35 out 300 fps faster than the Vmax 40, and by the time they have reached only 100 yards, they are going the same speed! After that, the 40 simply runs away. I admit, the 35's do an amazing number on gophers and PD's though!

Dan C

<JoeM>
posted
Hello
On my chronograph, if I get powder/ash contaminating the data, the readings are lower than that of the bullet. I had this problem working up loads for my 22-250, I was getting readings of like 2400 fps, I moved the chrony back about 3 feet, and they came right back up to 3800, which is where I was trying to operate.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by gunner7mm:

I've tried a number of Hornet powders including 2400, H110, 296, and others.

While 296 showed promise in the hands of others who wrote articles I researched, none of those powders were very impressive in my Ruger 77/22 VHZ.

So I went shopping. Not only did I look at other powders but I also went to a heavier bullet as I found that the traditional 45 gr. Hornet bullet did not do that well on game (p-dogs) at distances much beyond 100 yards. I could hit them, but they were slow to expire.

Anyway, I settled on moly-coated Hornady 50-grain V-max bullets and AA#9 powder. This load produces consisten .5 MOA accuracy at 100 yards. On p-dogs, the Vmax is devastating out to 200 yards, instant kills. The velocity is about 2650 fps for 10.0 gr. of AA#9. This approximate's my '06 load and, given the accuracy, elevates the Hornet to a very effective short range varmint rifle. Head shots on hunkering prairie dogs is doable past 100 yards and others fly through the air at impressive ranges (for such a small cartridge).

When I worked up this load, Lil'gun was not available. I'd probably try it but at 10.0 gr. a shot, I've still got a lot of shooting to do before I'll need more powder for the Hornet.

Lastly, AA1680 was also a good powder for the Hornet but #9 gave me better accuracy.

Regards,
Rick

<Reloader66>
posted
The 22 Hornet with Lil-Gun powder is the very best chioce because it is not possible to over charge the case or have pressure problems in the little 22 hornet case, not to mention brass lasts longer with Lil-Gun.
My Particular 22 hornet likes Imr 4227 and Lil-Gun powder. I use the Lil-Gun to eliminate the chance of a hot load being put in the case. Most 22 Hornets like 12 to 12.5 grains of lil-Gun powder for best groups. With the 1 in 16" twist in most 22 Hornets the light weight bullets will show best groups. 35 to 45 gr bullets.

<dave3220>
posted
I load 13.5 to 13.8 gr. AA 1680/wsp primers/45gr.Hornady or bulkRem. or Win. bullets in "K"Hornet. Sub-MOA at 100 yds, cases last, getting around 2,750 fps.
I'll be trying LIL Gun, but it will have to be really good to beat 1680 in my old 23D and new #3 27" gain-twist falling block.
Seyfied wrote a good article on Hornet, and he has been using small pistol caps for longer than I.
Small pistol primers seem to shoot a hair better, as does the "K" chamber.
My 6PPC would sometimes break .2 of an inch
A Hornet will not shoot like this, but it will shoot plenty good enough to whack digger squirrells at 200yds.+ from a field position if you hold hard and there is not much wind.(I'de just as soon work in an abatoir as use a bench rest to shoot varmints.)
Since I am not involved in target competition anymore, shooting up to my gun in .22Hornet is plenty challange for me.
I am getting more fun out of my Hornets, 32-20's, (and hopefully, a .360 longrifle), than I ever got with anything larger. (And that takes in 2 1/4" bore down thru .458 down to .222.)
Dave .32-20

------------------
Dave

One of Us
Picture of Beefa
posted Hide Post
I have had very good results with Alliance Hercules 2400

Beefa270: Yes I really love my 270win

Posts: 114 | Location: Southern Sydney Australia | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
LiL Gun, AA 1680, and W296, 2400 in that order for me.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul Dustin knows best:
VihtaVuori N-110 is best and cleanist burning powder for .22Hornet. clap beer :Clap

I have T/C G2-pistol with 10" bull barrel and BRNO-singleshot break open action-rifle in caliber .22Hornet sofa

Posts: 171 | Location: Finland | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lil' Gun has to be one of the most bizarre powders I've ever used.
Hell yeah! Weired stuff that Lil'Gun! With it I get good accuracy with 55gr and 60gr Hornady's. Hard hitting too. Funny thing, I was using a co\mnpressed charge of Lil'Gun which produced rapid barrel and suppressor heating. Pressure was about as high as I was happy with. Then one day I made a mistake and increased the charge slightly. The result was a sharper report and more muzzle lift. So I tried a test batch and would you believe the barrel and suppressor stayed cool! Pressure increased slightly but still OK (I think). I don't think this kind of loading is possible in the k-hornet - that is to say, the standard hornet with a generous chamber and R-P cases can out-perform the k-hornet!

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
AA 1680 is another powder you can't overload either the Hornet or the AI Hornet with, at least not with 40 gr. bullets. Just scoop the case entirely full of powder, set a bullet on top, and seat. In my regular Hornets that is about 14 grains, and in my AI Hornets it is about 15 grains.

With the AA-1680 loads reduced so as to not be compressed, accuracy is okay but not outstanding. BUT, when the compressed loads are used, accuracy is outstanding. Sub-half-inch groups become the norm, and some are significantly better than that.

Velocities range from the mid 3,100s into the 3,300s depending on case shape, brass thickness(make), primer used, etc.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedWow an 8 year old thread and still going strong. claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone using lite loads for the hornet?

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
My friend shoots 4.5 gr of Unique and the Hornady 35 gr V-Max for his "quiet load". Gives him 2200 fps from a 20" barrel. 4.0 goes an even 2000 fps.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
13 grains of Lil'Gun with 35 grain V-max seems to work well in my Hornet and K-Hornet.

By the way, I sold my AR to buy the K.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, do you know what primers he's using? CCI-400?

quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
My friend shoots 4.5 gr of Unique and the Hornady 35 gr V-Max for his "quiet load". Gives him 2200 fps from a 20" barrel. 4.0 goes an even 2000 fps.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eurocentric:
Thanks, do you know what primers he's using? CCI-400?

quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:

That load was with small rifle primers. I don't know the brand. He plans on trying it with pistol primers, too.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Well, I have loaded air rifle pellets on top of AR2205/H4227 and it seems to burn just fine. I have used the same powder for light loads with cast and jacketed bullets and again, the stuff burns just fine. To me, H4227 is suitable for light loads that will only just push the bullet out the barrel right up to max loads. I have actually had bullets stop in the barrel then shoot out and others stop and stay there (caused by bullet jacket expansion from friction heating).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear "LIL GUN" does very well.
My load with a 45 grain PSP is 9.9 grains of 2400. For some reason, my Ruger 77/22-Hornet gives me a group you can cover with a dime.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Old thread, but I will confirm that Lil Gun is thee powder to use, at least in my Anschutz pushing the 35gr Vmax, great load, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not read all the posts here but thought I would pass a bit of information on.

WW 296 is the same powder as H110 and comes from the same plant. This was posted in a forum by one of the Hodgdon family members.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
While we're at it, there is a surplus powder available called WC297 which is a bulk magnum pistol powder used by commercial loaders. I haven't tried in a Hornet because I don't own one anymore but it should work on par with WW 296.