THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Why are so many ARs 1:9 twist instead of 1:7

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are so many ARs 1:9 twist instead of 1:7
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
1:7 in an AR seems optimal to me because it allows shooting of everything up to 80 grains. So why are most manufacturers offering 1:9?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
possibly because of light bullets, i've got a old colt 1:7 that won't handle 50 grainers - it keyholes them. rare happening maybe, but does exist

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the military went to the 1:7 twist for the use of the heavy ss109 ammo.
I have a 1:9 Bushmaster a3 with a bdc Springfield 4.5x14 that shoots Blackhills 69gr match in the sub .75 moa range and 55gr ball just at moa.
The 69gr is the heavest bullet I have tried. I have heard that some of the palma guys are shooting 1:7 long throated barrels with 90gr seated out (single loading) and keeping them ss at 1k.
hope this helps

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 1in7 was necessary to stabilize the longer tracers.

1in9 is a good compromise and usually shoots all factory length ammo good, ie up to 77gr.
I have a 1in8 bbl on my Service Rifle so I can shoot 80gr Sierras and heavy VLD's, loaded out to a longer oal and single loaded for the 600 yard stage.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
500, note please the .mil is using rather short barrels and not getting all the velocity us .civ in our varmit rigs do. As such the spin diferential and occasional environmental issue (extreme cold) effects the performance the .mil requires. The specific use of ammunition types and it's fragmentation also require more spin than a Nosler BT to expand in our .civ terminology. Many now use a 1 in 8 for 18" and longer barrels, and I would suggest you querre Mr John Hollinger whom I undersatnd also graces this forum on occasion.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Shilen barrelled 8 twist put together by White Oak that shoots 80 grn bullets just fine. The rifle is used in service rifle competition. John Holliger builds a fine AR.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Many now use a 1 in 8 for 18" and longer barrels, and I would suggest you querre Mr John Hollinger whom I undersatnd also graces this forum on occasion.[/QUOTE]

He would probably grace it more if he didn't get attacked by the forum "experts" every time he expresses an opinion.

Recent AR15 trigger discussion comes to mind.

For future reference, if you see Gasgunner and AR15 in the same post, pay attention.

Just a tip for those that actually want to learn something.

From personal experience, I have seen 9 twist rifles that will shoot 77 MK and others that will not.
I've never personally seen a 1/9 twist explode a light varmint style bullet.
I have seen 1/8 and 1/7 blow up blitz type bullets.

It depends on the rifle as a 1/9 rifle could actually be a 1/9.4 or a 1/8.6.
Some rifleing machines aren't as precise as we would like them to be.

Covey16

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why is there so many different rates of twist in weapons .

Well I suspect it has something to do with all those bullet manufactures offering almost every conceivable bullet weight in what ever caliber !.
Short twist heavy bullets long twist lighter bullets . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote