THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    6mm BR barrel twist recommendation?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm BR barrel twist recommendation?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
gents/ about to have 6mm BR rifle built. plan bench shooting to 200 yds, PD, varmint hunting. Probably will be a medium/heavy varmint barrel from Krieger. any recommendations for twist and length? I dont plan to shoot anything heavier than 90 gr bullets. thanks/ chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Go with a 1:10 and never look back. You can't overstabilize a bullet (within reason, of course), but you certainly can understabilize one. I've had many of the small-to-medium capacity 6mms over the years, and 1:10 is my preferred twist rate.

I'd go for a 24" bbl. with a varmint contour.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
10" or maybe 11". No need to go 8 or 9 unless you plan on shooting the heavier match bullets...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, If you stop over at http://www.6mmbr.com , they are going to advise you to go for a 1-8 twist. it should handle anything from the 65 grs up to the 105 match bullets. Most will tell you that as you increase distance (and you will want to when prairie doggin), you will want the heaviest, most aerodynamic bullet you can get- and a 1-10/1-12/1-14 aint going to cut it.

But then, what do I know- my 6mm BR has a 1-14 twist - Looks like I won't be participating in any 1000yd matches.

Super Bon Bon

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I owned 2 with 12 twist, did great, handled up to 85 but shot 70 great.

My current gun has 8 twist. Shot 70's and 105's and I would not change anything.

If only paper and varmint, likely do another 12 twist, but I do not regret my 8 now.

.5 MOA and better when I do my part and usually I am the limiting factor on accuracy.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
1 in 9". Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote