Find
Notify
Tools

250Sav Stainless M70?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Was the M70 classic stainless ever offered in 250-3000 Savage? Thanks!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish!!
Winchester's only 250 Sav offered in the past 20 yrs was a Mod 70 pushfeed version...and they put a 1:14 twist barrel on it. That was in the early 90's.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Not to my knowledge. The Ruger 77 RL (ultralight), 77R, and 77RSI was offered in 250-3000. Those would all be sweet little pieces. I think mostly tang safety versions...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't believe there is a factory currently chambering this round. i also don't believe anyone who has one will part with it easily. my solution to this problem was to make a savage switch barrel. i had a model 10 "sierra" in 308 for a walk-around gun. i found a 25/06 take-off in excellent shape,cut it off and chambered for 250/3000. my problem now is; I DON'T WANT TO SWITCH!!!!!! i'm looking for a savage short action to rebuild my 308.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a Old Model Ruger 77 in 250 savage.I am suprised the Remington model 7 is not offered in it.They do make a full stock laminated 250 savage in the model 7 .I would like it a little better if it were just a very nice walnut stock.The 250 savage in the Ruger 77 RSI full stock is an awesome little gun.I wish I had bought one.They are usually around $1000 now.I got my ruger 77 250 savage with a 22" barrel for $400 .I thought that was a very good deal.I had a Savage takedown 99 in 250 sav.It was an old Kangroo Gun From Australia .It was a neat gun but only shot 87 gr bullets good.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just rebarrel a 22-250 with a 1 in 9" twist .25.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had Mark Penrod make one up in a stainless Model 7 and a std remington contour Krieger at 20". Wonderful work...sweet rifle...am looking forward to warmer/drier weather to spend some time with it and work up some loads.

Posts: 16 | Location: SouthCentral Indiana | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read on one chat room or another that remington is going to make a CDL version of the model 7. Such a rifle in .250 savage , or the roberts if it would fit would get my money, real quick...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Colorado Matt's approach worked for me. I went with a 1:10 twist as I have no intention of fiddling with anything heavier or longer than the 100 grain Partition. For cases with more capacity than the .250-3000 I concur on his twist suggestion. I assure you than building your own would be cheaper than buying mine.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most recent 250 Savage cataloged in a Winchester 70 was the lightweight carbine in 1986/87. They were offered with or without open sights and had that darned 1 in 14" twist rifling. I have 2 of them, with and without sights, and have the "without" mounted in a SA featherweight stock, which to my eyes makes it a more attractive rifle.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:
They were offered with or without open sights and had that darned 1 in 14" twist rifling.

Now why on earth would they go and do that? Sometimes you really have to wonder about the decision makers at the big rifle factories... Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1 in 14 twist came from the original 250 Savage factory loads being only 87 grains coupled with the fact it let them push the velocity.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 30378:
The 1 in 14 twist came from the original 250 Savage factory loads being only 87 grains coupled with the fact it let them push the velocity.

Yes, I know where it came from, and it was a bad decision at the time, and an absolutely inexcusable decision in the mid 1980s by which time the merits of the now popular 10" twist had been widely publicized...

It would have been like Remington making a mid-80s run of the 6mm with its original 12" twist from the 244 days... Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I think I will try to locate a reasonably priced stainless featherweight 22-250 and rebarrel with 1-9 or 1-10. Any suggestions on the proper throat?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
fla3006

Are you stuck on the CRF? If not, I have been thinking that one of the super short actions from Winchester would make one heck of a neat .250 Savage. They are now showing some .223 and .204 rifles chambered in the super short crpf actions, so it may be doable. I just need someone to do it first and let me know how it worked out. Wink jumping

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any suggestions on the proper throat?

Assuming your magazine gives sufficient room to manuever... enough throat to allow seating the bullet of your choice, bullet base to neck/shoulder junction, no shorter. One caliber of bullet seated, no longer. Pick what you want inbetween. If you only use one bullet length you'll not have a difficult choice. It's when you start mixin' 'em up it gets a little fuzzy. If you stretch it out with long bullet, you'll have no chance to seat short one near the leade. If you set up with a short bullet your long ones will eat up powder space.

My .250-3000 seats an 85 grain BT AND 100 grain Partition at 2.6" OAL. About .012 to .015" jump to the leade with that. Magazine would allow more, but the Partitions aren't punching into the powder room at all. Keep it simple. I will NEVER shoot anything longer than that...when somebody else owns it(like, when I'm dead), it becomes their conundrum.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Any suggestions on the proper throat?

I had a custom throat put in my pac-nor barrel 250-3000. It is a bit longer than SAAMI to better use the 100-120 grain bullets, as I only shoot bullets in that weight range. I'd have to check exactly how long, but max OAL with most bullets is 2.6-2.7", depending on the bullet. This makes better use of standard 2.8" mag (mine ins on a 722 action). If you plan on using mostly 85-100 grain bullets, with the odd 110-115 thrown in, I think the SAAMI throat would be just fine...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I built myself a 250 Savage years ago. Around 1975 or so. Dave Manso [then Clymer] gifted me with a 25 Ackley reamer on his honeymoon in Hawaii and it became an imp then. My wifey threatened to take "Toy" away from me so I built her one too. Standard 250 though. I used a 1-12 for hers as she`ll NEVER shoot anything heavier than a 100 gr bullet and BOY does this rifle shoot!!!! I cannot remember when she has missed a shot at anything she wanted dead!! It is a bit more accurate than my 1-10 barrel . Both barrels are BTW McGowan XX and I make all or ammo for both the standard and the Ackley from NM Lake City 308.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bohica

you didn't say what actions you used.