New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 hornet...22K hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There is a gunshow this weekend here and I have the iche to look for a hornet. What is the difference between the hornet and K hornet. I will reload and I am not looking to replace my 222. Also who makes a good hornet these days.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd go for a ruger #1-B. With 35gr V-max or 40gr Ballistic tips loaded over healthy doses of Hodgdon's L'ilgun powder, it ain't your grandpaws hornet. With this combination, you don't need an improved hornet.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own or have owned a TC Contender Carbine, Savage, Ruger, NEF Handi Rifle and now a CZ 527.

The CZ is my favorite of them all. A 40 grain Sierra Blitz over 11 grains of Lil Gun, sparked by a CCI small rifle primer works really well. Crows and groudhogs out to about 225 yards are no problem.

Its quiet, a pound of powder seems to last forever, and case life is almost infinite. I have a box of Norma brass that I have loaded over 50 times.

Of all the guns I own its the one I take to the dance most often.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the k hornet is a hornet case that has been blown out. it's a great round. it gets rid of the flyer problems a hornet has and gets 2-300 FPS more than the hornet. Brass is easily fireformed. my load is 14.5 gr of lilgun and a 40 gr bullet. take your choice of rifles - there's several

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
There is a gunshow this weekend here and I have the iche to look for a hornet. What is the difference between the hornet and K hornet. I will reload and I am not looking to replace my 222. Also who makes a good hornet these days.

Perry

The main advantage to the K-version of the Hornet is that cases last longer-the heads don't tend to separate as quickly as they do with the standard round.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
perry,

I have an Anschutz 54 22 hornet with heavy barrel.

With the 40 grain Blitz Kings, Lil gun powder, and Winchester small rife primers it does o.k.

Yesterday at the range, I fired only 4 5 shot groups with it, (had several other rifles with me) the groups was 3/4, 6/10, 6/10, and 7/16 inches at 100 yards.

I've tried all "Hornet" bullets with out much success. The Blitz kings does great and also the 40 grain NBT. The 40 grain Hornady V-Match looks very promising and I like it's explosive capabilities.

The Hornet can be capable of fine accuracy, but it is finicky to load for. At least it has been for me.

Joe A.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
I did own 2 k hornets. One, a custom martini, I had rechambered to standard hornet due to extraction problems. The more or less straight sidewalls of the cartridge case and the low mechanical advantage of the extractor were in conflict. This cured the extractor problem for two trips to the range, then some low-life @$$#@!!* stole it, with my 8X Unertl target scope on top of it. Never got a chance to work the loads out. My Win 70 k hornet is a very accurate rifle and a joy to shoot. They are both a little harder to load than larger cases, but what else can you do after dark that's more fun? I have not encountered many case failures during fire forming to the k in my 45 yrs of loading for them. My suggestion is to stick with the standard, although the k is faster, factory hornet ammo is readilaly available without loading. The fire forming process does not degrade accuracy to a great degree though.
Good shootin'

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like the 22 hornet in Browning's micro hunter. It has been a great rifle for me. I can get 3/4 inch groups with the Nosler 45 grain Hornet bullets over H110.

Great round and gun.

Dennis

Shooting, what else is there?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a hornet in the cz527 shoots excellent .2s and .3 I use 13.2 grns of lil gun with a 40 moly v max and that load chronographs at 3000fps, and for a lighter load I use 10.6 grns reloader 7 with a 45 grn sierra soft point and that shoots around 1/2 inch at 2200fps, the 45 is dead on at 100 and the 40 is dead on at 200 so I carry both with me depending on range and what i'm hunting and where i'm at the 45 grn load is mild and about as lowd as a 22mag but more accurate I shot a pigeon the other day with that load at 150 yards it flattened him .As far as far as the K hornet I had one and my 221 fireball outdoes it in every way 3500 with 40s and 3200 with 50s so if you want more speed get a fireball and you can buy caseings or loaded rounds for it.I like both it depends on what you want.

Posts: 94 | Location: Orwell,New York | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 22 Hornet & a Custom Contender rifle barrel in 22 K Hornet. Both shoot great although I'm planning on getting the Ruger rechambered to the K Hornet. Use Little gun powder and small pistol primers and don't look back. 1/2 groups out of the Contender and 3/4 out of the Ruger currently.

God, guns, & guts made us free. Let's keep all three!

Posts: 169 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote