Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Riihimaki
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all
I bought a new to me rifle today, and I need to know where to find info. on it. The rifle is a Sako Riihimaki, bull barrel 222 Rem. and looks to be a "Safe Queen". If someone could point me in the correct direction I would sure be in your debt.
Thanks, Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
There is a SAKO collectors site on the web. I used to go there quite a bit as I own 2 Sako foresters. Do a search. Those guys know more about the Sako brand rifles than I ever thought was available. BT53

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
Here they are:
http://groups.msn.com/SakoCollectorsClub/_whatsnew.msnw
BT53

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drm-hp:
Hi all
I bought a new to me rifle today, and I need to know where to find info. on it. The rifle is a Sako Riihimaki, bull barrel 222 Rem. and looks to be a "Safe Queen". If someone could point me in the correct direction I would sure be in your debt.
Thanks, Doug

Doug, if your rifle is fed from a detachable magazine (and it likely is), then it is an L46. In that case, it will also have the safety lever on the right side of the bolt shroud. The "Riihimaki" designation is actually the location of Sako plant (in Finland, but I expect you knew that bit...).

The L46 and its successors the L461 and A1 rifles are really nice pieces. I believe the L46 was orginally only chambered in .22 Hornet, but when the .222 Rem was introduced, the rifle was issued in that caliber as well, and became a big success. Later, the rifle was also chambered in .222 Rem Mag.

Look on GunsAmerica and GunBroker, you'll find quite a few for sale there, although the heavy barrel models are not as common as the regular sporters...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bt53 & Mho
Your input is truly appreciated. I will go to your recomended sites and do some reading. It is kind of funny how I found this rifle. I was at an "antique arms collectors" show and really had not much hope of finding either a Remington or a Sako in 222 Rem. as I figured they would both be too new. This very nice gentleman from Iowa had a table in about the third row, and I was looking for bolt actions in 223 length for the posibility of a 222. I was making quick rounds and saw this rifle that looked about right so I stopped. Low and behold it was the above described rifle. I was wanting a shooter and not a collector so I thought it was to nice to drag after Coyotes and his price was a little "hi" for what I was wanting. It had a peep on it that I didn't want, so we dickered a bit and I left telling him "if I don't find something better i'll be back". I made about 20 steps away and thought to myself "you idiot, you found what you were looking for, from a nice fella,go buy that rifle and go home to play with it". So I made a big circle back, went up to him and asked if he would take $750.00 cash and I would let him keep the peep site. He reached for a screwdriver to take the site off and I reached into my pocket. We shook hands and parted, both feeling good with the deal. Now I have a date in the outdoors with Mr. Coyote.
Thanks, Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, what was his original asking price? The peep site would bring a minimum of $100.00 on Ebay....

If you want, send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send a you a PDF file with Sako dates of manufacture according to serial number.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug, when you compare to the prices paid on GA and GB, you'll see you did well, thank you very much.

A lot of these older rifles came issued with barrels made by and marked "Bofors" (Sweden). Maybe yours as well?? Another specialty of some of these early Sakos, is that the barrels have an awful lot of lands/grooves. Whereas today 3-4-6 is normal, I believe some of these older barrels had up to 12 lands and grooves. I'm not quite sure why, but they often shoot really well.

The .222 Rem is one of the sweetest cartridges ever made. As versatile and as practical as the .223 is, the .222 Rem normally holds the edge in accuracy. Couple that with absolutely zero recoil and long barrel life, and you have an absolute winner.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buster
pm sent
The original asking price was $950.00.

Mho
I have had Hornets, I shoot an AR-15 in High Power and I don't want to have to keep brass seperate. That in a nutshell is my reasoning for a 222. On top of that, this is a sweet lightweight,(compared to all my pre-64 m-70's)rifle.
Thanks again, Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug, you did just fine and will enjoy that rifle. Although most people may slightly prefer the later L461 with it's trigger safety and floorplate magazine, the L46 is a true classic. One in the condition you describe is well worth $750. You were correct to let him keept he peep sight since there's really no place for it on a HB model. In fact, only the earliest HB models came with a front sight, anyway.

After market magazines are now available pretty reasonable (look on ebay or gunbroker). I would advise that you buy one in that there are only two kinds of detachable magazines: Those that have been lost and those that will be. Wink

The L46 was first marketed in about 1948 or so and was superceded by the L461 in the late '50s or early 60's. The .222 had not yet been introduced when the L46 came out; the L46 was actually designed for the .22 Hornet, .218 Bee, and and the proprietary 7x33 Sako (a small game round). It happened that when the .222 came out in 1950 that it was both highly popular and a perfect fit for the L46, otherwise Sako might never have been nearly as successful and popular as it eventually became.

The only downside to the older L46's is that they may have slightly more drop in the stock than you might want for scope use. Compensate for this by mounting your scope as low as possible. While the original Sako mounts work fine, they are a bit heavy and bulky compared to the delicate little action. I prefer to use the Leupold Ringmount, which is simple and amply strong. Some people seem to be able to tear up a hammer and can't pour water out of a boot with the directions inscribed on the heel, so once in a while you hear some dissing of the Leupold ringmount. They have worked in an exempliary manner for me on everything from a .223 up through a .375 H & H. The Redfield/Burris base and rings also do well, but BE SURE to use one height LOWER than what is recommended because the base elevates the ring a bit to begin with.

I would strongly recommend AGAINST buying the pricey, bulky, and somewhat complicated current generation of Sako Optilock rings. They are unnecessarily heavy and tall for your little gun.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sent the PDF file to those who requested it. Hope it helps. Probably not 100% complete or accurate, but it's the best info I've found for Sako dates of manufacture.

Doug,

Sounds like you did fine on your rifle and I think you'll soon develop a love for the .222 Remington. I've never heard of a Sako .222 that wouldn't shoot tiny little groups with just about any load.

I bought a Sako Vixen Deluxe .222 a few months ago from the classifieds on this board. It's a beautiful rifle in amazing condition for being nearly 40-years-old, and it loves 40gr Vmax's over a health dose of AA2230.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info all.

It looks like my rifle was built in 1958
(# 400xx ). Where would I find the "Bofors" stamp on the barrel? Buy the way, it is a detachable magazine so I will find another and rotate. The wood is fairly light in color, but pleasing grain flow. The cheekpeice is very tastefull and the beavertail forearm is a handfull. All in all I think I am going to like it! Now to decide which scope, Leupold 2.5-8 or fixed 6x power?
Many thanks kind folks, Doug

One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
Bofurs should be on the right hand side of the barrel, about 2" from the chamber. In my opinion, you got it at a very good price! You are gonna love it.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drm-hp: Now to decide which scope, Leupold 2.5-8 or fixed 6x power?
Many thanks kind folks, Doug

Normally, I'm a proponent of lower power and lighter weight in a scope, but your HB should be capable of the kind of precision that merits more magnification. If you intend to use it mainly on paper and varmints, I'd say a 4-12 or fixed 10 or 12X would be appropriate.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Stonecreek, a bit more magnification than 6x or 8x would let you utilize the sterling accuracy of the Sako better.
- mike

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
I agree with Stonecreek, a bit more magnification than 6x or 8x would let you utilize the sterling accuracy of the Sako better.
- mike

I would agree with Stonecreek and MHO.

I have a Sako .222 Rem, and I have 2 scopes sighted in, each with its own set of rings.

One scope is a Leupold 4.5-14x 40mm -- good for all around use.

The other scope is a (don't laugh) 6-36x 40mm Bausch & Lomb. I rarely use this scope for hunting, but at the range it is a real hoot to zoom up to about 24x and shoot the tacks that are holding up my neighbours targets. Smiler I'm not bragging -- this is no great feat with the accuracy of my Sako (a light barrel, surprisingly).

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good morning all

I understand your reasoning for high magnification scopes, but here is my problem with it. I don't want a 40mm or larger objective bell on this "cute" little rifle. The looks say 36mm is perfect. Am I correct, or not!

Thanks, Doug

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drm-hp:
Good morning all

I understand your reasoning for high magnification scopes, but here is my problem with it. I don't want a 40mm or larger objective bell on this "cute" little rifle. The looks say 36mm is perfect. Am I correct, or not!

Thanks, Doug

You won't get any argument from me!

I could be quite happy with a Leupold 2.5-x8 36mm scope for everything! Easy to mount nice and low as well.

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
Mine, as pictured in the post somewhere above is wearing an old steel tube Lyman 10X, It is going to Seibert soon for a power upgrade.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned a Sako Riihimaki in .222 Rem. briefely and while it was a very accurate, well balanced rifle. The only thing I didn't like about it was the 1-in-16" twist of it's barrel. When I tried 55 grain bullets, most of the time, they would "keyhole" even with Max. loadings. It shot 45 grain & 50 grains very well and I received 5-shot grouping of less than an Inch @ 100 yards. Despite this the L-46 was an excellent well built rifle.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drm-hp: I hope you will be as happy with your Sako L-46 in 222 Remington as I have been with mine!
I actually have two Sako L-46's. The other Rifle is in caliber 222 Remington Magnum. The 222 Remington Magnum has an exquisite exhibition grade custom Varmint style stock done by Jim Cloward!
They both shoot VERY well indeed!
Do not lose your clip! They are VERY hard to find and very expensive once found!
As far as scopes go I have a "period" Leupold Westerner (fixed 8 power with A/O feature) on my 222 Remington Sako L-46 and I have a WONDERFUL Unertl BV-20 (20 power target style) scope on my 222 Remington Magnum L-46.
Your Rifle will almost certainly be accurate as great care and quality materials were used in their production!
I have a great load for my 222 Sako that you may be interested in? The load uses Berger 52 grain MEF bullets and they work splendidly on Varmints and at the range from my Rifle!
Let me know if you want the particulars.
Your price was rather dandy as well! I have seem them marked much higher at recent Gunshows.
Again best of luck with your "new" Sako!
Long live the old Sako's!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all
Looks like it's going to be a Leupold 12x40. Just thought I would let you know.
Thanks, Doug

One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpb:
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
- mike

I would agree with Stonecreek and MHO.

I have a Sako .222 Rem, and I have 2 scopes sighted in, each with its own set of rings.

One scope is a Leupold 4.5-14x 40mm -- good for all around use.

The other scope is a (don't laugh) 6-36x 40mm Bausch & Lomb. I rarely use this scope for hunting, but at the range it is a real hoot to zoom up to about 24x and shoot the tacks that are holding up my neighbours targets. Smiler I'm not bragging -- this is no great feat with the accuracy of my Sako (a light barrel, surprisingly).

To laugh would only expose my ignorance! Would love to have a B&L like yours. So would a lot of others, if you check the eBay auctions when one comes up for sale. Cherish that scope!

John