THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    How To: Mini 14 Walk around Varmint tool?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How To: Mini 14 Walk around Varmint tool?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How does one make a Mini 14 into a walk around varmint tool? Is it even possible?

I have decided to get a bolt 223, for my calling needs, maybe later even a .204 Ruger, but for now, I feel the need for a (beater) walking rig.

I have a stainless synthetic ranch sitting in the corner, how do I make it work?

During deer season, I tried a 100-yard standing shot. The recoil was not an issue, which we all know, but the action movement really tossed me for a loop.

My thinking is counter balance of some kind. First item my be a bipod.
I have seen flash suppressors used for barrel balancer.
What about a laminated thumb hole stock?
Last but not practical would be a new barrel. At that point I would say buy a new rifle.

Any thoughts on this project would be great, and is there any one actually working on this currently?

To much fun.....

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does it shoot? That should be the determining factor for you. You can get used to the action, but if it shoots like most mini 14's I have owned it won't work for a varmint gun without putting more in the gun than it is worth.
I started out with a mini and now it is gone and I have all bolt guns for hunting. Just my 2 cents. jb

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I leaned next to a tree, accuracy was there..

Not sure as of yet, no bench time.

I have a feeling most accuracy lose is due to all the moving parts, and overly light rig...

I have read posts on other forums where they have achieved one inch or less groups. I am sure it is off the bench.

To much fun...

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the following, White Barn Workshop, Broadlands, IL 217-834-3056. Dean is owner. Used to be a web site like www.chiefaj.com. They did an incredible job for a very reasonable price on my mini 14.

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been toying with the thought of a accurized Mini for awhile now.
The initial cost is less than an AR 15 but it needs more work to get the accuracy I want.
The way I see it I will end up with about $1100.00 into the package,which is the same as a Colt but more unusual.

http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/
http://www.homestead.com/accuracyriflesystems3/index.html

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
California resident, Colts, or any other AR series are not an option.

Accuracy is...
We will look at options, and make the best of it.

TO MUCH FUN>>>>>

<Jordan>
posted
Someone out there is selling a carbon fiber barrel shroud to replace the metal fixture. It attaches in a way as to also serves to stiffen the barrel. It is supposed to give a very significant improvement in accuracy [as in group reduction down to 1-1 1/2 inches]. Additionally, ARS sells some sort of barrel shroud which works on harmonics and is also said to give a dramatic improvement in accuracy. These options, if they work, obviate the need for a rebarrel and could give your mini acceptable accuracy.

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mauserkid,

If you want to get the best accuracy possible out of your Mini-14 you can send it to someone to have the work done(I sent mine to A.R.S.(Accurate Rifle Systems, Odessa, Texas)) or if you have the skills do the work yourself. First the factory barrel has got to go because it's to thin to maintain the rigidity required for this type of gas operating system. I had a 22"(wanted to able to get it in and out of a vehicle easily as this was/is my duty weapon of choice) heavy match grade barrel with a 1-10 twist installed. To this A.R.S. installed one of their oversized gas blocks as the factory block won't work as is on the new barrel. Also had A.R.S. install one of their custom triggers and now my Mini-14 will group at or under MOA. Now I have a duty weapon that shoots as well as I wanted one to shoot. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mauserkid,
The best and cheapest thing you can do to improve accuracy is to install a John Masen muzzle brake for less than $15 from Midway - no gunsmithing required. This got my Mini 14 groups down to about 3-4 inches with iron sights at 100 yards from a benchrest. This is plenty of varmint calling accuracy. Out here in New Mexico we call that "minute-of-coyote accuracy".

A lot of people demand sub-minute-of-angle accuracy from any gun. You see them at the range fretting over sandbags and benchrests, but I never see them ot practicing offhand and prone and sitting. Most of them would rather debate actions and loads than do any real practice. My dad carried a Winchester Model 94 30-30 with iron sights all the time in his pickup. It was his only rifle for more than 40 years of hunting and ranching. He shot hundreds of coyotes, scores of deer, and tens of elk with it because it was his only rifle. I doubt he even knew the term "minute of angle". That rifle probably would group from a rest at maybe 4" at 100 yards - on a good day.

My advice is get the muzzle brake and take all the rest of the money you'd spend tricking out your Mini, and buy as much cheap ammo as you can afford, sight the rifle in, and then get away from the benchrest and practice, practice, practice. Jeff Cooper has said that a rifleman should spend 85% of his practice time shooting offhand. Granted, offhand practice is humiliating. All of a sudden you realize that you can't hit a 36-inch circle at 100 yards with your sub-MOA thousand dollar-plus tricked Mini or scoped AR or bolt action. And there's no bragging at the gunrange when you first get up off the bench and start shooting like a rifleman. But keep shooting the hell out of your Mini-14 and after 2 or 3 thousand rounds of position shooting with your Mini-14 out in the real world, where it counts, you'll outshoot any benchrest commando and his AR-15.

Posts: 3 | Location: NW New Mexico | Registered: 17 July 2003Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
Wadcutter, you have tendered excellent advise.
Ain't no substitute for practice shooting off-hand and position.

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
You got it, wadcutter. BUT an accurate gun still reduces error. Learn to use a "hasty sling" for your offhand/sitting shots. Big help. I started doing 300M silhouette pig shoots a few years back, and you are so right about humbling. 300 meters, offhand, no slings allowed, solid hits needed to tip the pigiron. It is so much better preparation for hunting than bench practice..which I also enjoy.

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a gunsmith named Dave Clay (I think) that is in the Fort Worth Texas area that will cut the barrel back to 16 inches and put on a muzzle brake. It will improve accuracy somewhat due to the greater stiffness of the barrel and the vibration changes cause by the heavy muzzle brake. About $150.

I have read that a lot of the problems with the Mini-14 center around the gas block and it's interface with the stock. If a Mini gets hot it looks like the barrel elongates about 1/16th of an inch. If you releave the pressure around the front of the stock and gasblock it is supposed to help a lot. Never have gotten around to it, even though I got a bargain ranch rifle from someones Y2K stash. Might do that after Christmas. Since I haven't shot it for record I need to to that first.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Mini-14, since I live in California and can't shoot an AR-15 on public lands. It's not a bolt action by any means, but will keep heavy-bullet reloads (69 grain Matchkings and 748 powder) inside 2 inches at 100 yards pretty reliably--box stock. "Walk-around varmint rifle" is a pretty good description. Somehow, that whip barrel's harmonics blends well with the heavier-for caliber bullets. This is only one of several Mini-14s that has shown this tendency.

Gotta agree with much that has been written here. Standing up to shoot is humbling, but it only hurts for a short time.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My experience agrees with Deputy Al's. I recently got hold of 3,000 military surplus pulled bullets. They are 63 grain green-tip "penetrators". (not armor-piercing - those have black tips) My Mini eats 'em up with the best accuracy of any bullet I've tried. I am using mil-surp WCC 844 powder in the standard 25 grain load.

Because they are steel-cored the length of the bullet is a little longer than an all lead core FMJ would be.

Deputy Al, do you thing it is weight or length that makes the difference? I haven't had the opportunity to test which factor makes the difference. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Posts: 3 | Location: NW New Mexico | Registered: 17 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a Choate synthetic stock on mine and found that winchester whitebox ammo, marked "5.56mm", not ".223" to work well in it. I use the iron sights and always use a sling and any rest I can find.

suits it's purpose, varmints(the larger the betterSmiler at around 100 yards.

-tincan

one of us
posted Hide Post
For about the same or less money you can buy a CZ 527 in .222 or .223 and put a Leupold 2-7 on it. Then rebarrel it later to a .17 Rem. or a .19-223 for a more pelt friendly fox/cat/coyote killer.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote