THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    what is the difference between vmax and amax

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what is the difference between vmax and amax
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of AAdams
posted
Is there a lote of difference between the two.Thanks for your input.

Posts: 117 | Location: Rock Hill, S.C. | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aside from the price I believe the Amax has a bit of a more radical secant ogive/VLD profile for high BC/long range ballistics. The Vmax has a more forgiving ogive, and the construction is more optimized for brain kersplatzen and gutzenspraying. I like the Vmax for varmint hunting, but stick to traditional HPBT bullets for high power shooting.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AA and J.C.N., JCN, VERY GOOD ANSWER! Now for the practicality point of view! The VMAX's are very accurrate in the chamberings they were designed for!....222,223,222MAG,22,250(about to forget the 20's!!!!!and Hornady had to screw up a good thing and change the design from the 33's to the 32's!!!!) Swift, the various 6's and the ALMIGHTY 25's!!! They are the stuff for blowing up varmints!!! Now to the AMAX's and AA's original question! They are the cat's meow for most folks trying to wring the ultimate accurracy from their rifles! They (due to the the design that JCN described) tend to be more ballistically stable at the extended ranges, don't give the "brainsplattin, gutthrowing" results that the VMAX's do but they will do the job on varmints(and deer constitute a VARMINT nomenclature) at extended ranges!!! The AMAX's tend to be a whole lot like the Sierra MK in that when used on varmints give a lot of "little hole in, little hole out!, performance! Not saying that's bad if we know with some certainty where the "little hole in" is going to be.....ie, head and neck, but below the throat is a no-no!!!! Actually below the throat is a non-intended landing zone whenever and whatever I'm shooting!! A big plus for the VMAX's is the ease of "SPOTTING" when long ranging varmints! You will almost always be able to see the "dust", "mud splat", "vegetation launch" when using the VMAX's at the extended ranges(600+) whereas the AMAX's are a little harder to spot for!!!! Bottom line is: "HORNADY IS MAKING GOOD PRODUCTION BULLETS FOR THE RANK AND FILE!!!" You didn't even ask about the NOSLER BT's!!! GHD PS: Forgot the 120 VMAX's in 7mm configuration! You want to see a varmint exploded? Try some in your favorite 7mm chambering from 7mmBR on up to the 7mmRemMag!!! Talk about "devastation"!!!!!

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

brain kersplatzen and gutenspraying...

Does that translate to hamburger on the hill?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
craigster, Funny you should ask that!! There is a stand on one of our leases that is designated, "HAMBURGER HILL"! You sit in that stand and you can have some hamburger if you want it!!!(provided you can shoot within any acceptable reasoning!!!) They always will be on "HH"!!!! GHD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GHD,
Yup, we've got our own "Hamburger Hill" out here too, along with "Rock Chuck Alley", "Blood Rock City", and of course, "Death Valley".

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend calls our favorite ground squirrel area "The Killing Fields".
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Amax has hollowpoint boat tail
Vmax plastic tip flat end

jaw
shoot safe

one of us
posted Hide Post
So far as I know the VMAX is a varmint bullet, and a good killer at that. The AMAX is for accuracy, pretty much a bench bullet. That's how it's supposed to be, but then again this is from a guy who used Sierra HPBT Match bullets for woodchuck for many years. I'm quite happy with VMAX in the smaller .172 and .224 bullets, quite accurate as well as deadly. I don't think the AMAX has made quite the same splash in the shooting community. Competition is quite keen among the makers of benchrest bullets. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jaw, WRONG! The Amax's are polymer tipped boattials also! Will they kill stuff! Yes! Just not the violent reactions like the VMAXs! I shoot VMAX's in a bunch of chamberings from 17HMR to 7mmMag! Accuracy is excellent in any of the chamberings! HOWEVER! I switch to the 105AMAXs for the LONG STUFF (900 and up) with the 6mm simply because of the sustained long range accurracy! One big drawback to the AMAXs is they can be a bugger to spot for! Whereas the VMAXs usually give some more visual for the spotter!GHD