THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    17 rem loads for the 28gr or 30 gr bullets

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 rem loads for the 28gr or 30 gr bullets
 Login/Join

posted
Looking for info on loads for the 28 gr Calhoon or 30 gr Bergers in a 17 remington. I have a box of the Calhoon's on the way but am having trouble locating loading info for them in books or on web sites. Does anyone have a load that works for them? I'll be using them on called coyotes mostly. I've been told they perform much better out past the 200 yard mark. They'll be going in a Model 700 classic with 1:9 twist.
If anyone is thinking about Calhoon's bullets, James himself answered the phone & seemed to be more than willing to give any help he could. Seemed to me a pretty good guy.

Posts: 5 | Location: Nebraska, USA | Registered: 08 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with the 28-30g bullets but with the 25g Bergers I shoot, I run 24.5g's of Varget. My rifle is a CZ Varmint with a 24" heavy barrel and a 1-9 twist. Shooting a 2.25" group at 300 yards 4" low, can't complain. This load is safe in my rifle with no signs of pressure, if I were going to shoot the 28-30g bullets I would start out with 20-21g's of varget and work up from there. Hope that helps

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My load for the 28g Calhoon's in my .17 Remington consists of CCI BR-4 primers with 24.0g of VARGET. This load consistently shoots around .3 to .5 out of my rifle. As for James Calhoon's bullets, they are top notch! And if you want to acquire a superb varmint rifle, check out his .19-223. I bought one in the CZ, and only wished I had done it sooner!

Posts: 15 | Location: Berks County, PA | Registered: 08 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just tested some 30 grain Bergers in my new CZ .17 Rem, to cold to set up the chrono so I'm unsure of velocity but the accuracy was stellar. I formed Lake City .223 brass to .17 Rem, ( tightens the neck on factory chambers considerably, requires neck turning possibly "meassure for sure!" , I turned mine to .1985 on seated Berger fired case mics .201. Factory .17 Rem mic's .194 on seated Berger). Load was 22.5 grain Varget, Rem 7 1/2 BR 30 grain Berger match. Shot in the .3's and .4's. No sign of pressure whatever, might take a little more powder but working up max loads at 20 degrees sure gets exciting at 90 degrees.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input!
It sounds pretty much a unanimous vote for the Varget. Looks like I'll be gettin' another powder to put in my stash.

Posts: 5 | Location: Nebraska, USA | Registered: 08 February 2004Reply With Quote