THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Lilja Barrel in cal 223 1/8 twist

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lilja Barrel in cal 223 1/8 twist
 Login/Join

posted
Iam wanting to buy a stainless barrel in cal 223 for my Sauer 202 Wolverine
Sauer came with 1-10 twist and i do want a barrel with 1-8 twist so i can use 80grain bullets
My dealer do have a Lilja barrel in stock and tells me its a good barrel
So i like to know if Lilja is a barrel you can recomand me or i shuold look for anohter brand?
The Sauer barrel shooting good with any kind of bullet i use 55-69 grain
Will the Lilja barrel do the same with bullets from 55-80 grain?

Dillon

Posts: 15 | Location: Norway | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lilja makes great barrels. You would be in good hands with any of his barrels. 1/8 should be good to go with the heavier boolits as well.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Lilja barrels are VERY GOOD barrels !!!!!!!!!!

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well thanks for the replay Lilja is a good barrel.
But is there anyone on forum using one in cal 223,who know how its work with different bullets from 55-80 grain

Dillon

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I have not had one so I can,t say basically because I have not shot that individual barrel . But a 1 in 8 twist will stabilize up to 80 gr cup and core bullets @ 223 Rem velocities

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes a 1-8 twist will stablize 55-80 grain bullets.
But i have look on ather froums that barrels from BR Produsers works good with one bullet
So i want a all eating barrel,and not long time testing to find the right bullet and loading
In Norway not many people have a Lilja in cal 223 so had to see if i could find somebody use one on Accurate Forum with experience of shooting a Lilja barrel

Dillon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long range match shooter friend of mine has Lilja barrel, 223/1-8 twist and it does fine w/ bullet weights ranging from 68-80gr bullets, mostly Sierras. Set up on Rem. 700 action, prone style wood stock, either metalic or scope sights and does quite well with it out to the 600 yard line. Both he and I use LC military brass, Wolfe/Russian 223 Mag. SR primers, RE15 powder and seat the bullets some 2-.004" from lands and grooves. My barrels are either Douglas or Krieger and have not tried the Lilja's, but they work fine for him. Mine have some 2500rnds through them and his is less than 1000 and may just try the Lilja if and when my barrels "go south" but don't invision any problems for quite a while yet. His Lilja rifle and mine both will deliver sub MOA accuracy w/ these loads at whatever range providing the shooter does his job. I don't get all hung up on the brand of barrel if it comes from known quality barrel maker for those will all give good service as a rule. That 7/8 twist and 223 w/ heavier bullets is a good combo and takes the 223 to a whole new level of performance.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Lilja is a top tier producer, and you would not be making a mistake to try his barrel.

Lilja barrels

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What stabilizes in a 1 in 8 twist barrel varies much more with the chosen bullet than with an individual barrel.

You are fortunate that your dealer is able to offer you a Lilja barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have Lilja barrels on nearly everything. Only .22cal barrel is a 22-6mm and like my other Lilja's it is awesome. You can't go wrong with any of the top tier barrel makers.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
There are 10-12 (maybe even a few more) top barrel makers of the world in the U.S. Dan Lilja is one of the best.

There are NO makers anywhere in the world who can guarantee that every barrel they make will perform PERFECTLY with every bullet you run across. That simply is not in the cards. If anyone knew how to do that, and could do it every time, they'd own the whole market.

If you want the odds in your favor of getting a really good barrel, Lilja is one of the better suppliers. A 1-in-8 twist 5.56 m/m barrel will do well with bullets from 55 to even 90 grains, not with every make or shape of bullet at either end of the weight spectrum , but with most.

If you want guaranteed accuracy with no load work-up effort, you are living in the wrong world. No such iron-clad guarantees exist here in this one.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well looks like only good words about Lilja barrels,but will be a new one for me.
The barrel my delar have in stock is a stainless barrel,so i will go for this one.
B-23 are your Lilja barrels also in stainless or moley?
Ido know if you want max acurrensy you must do a lot of test shooting with different bullets and loads.

Dillon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan Lilja is one of the best. X 2 Amen as I own a few of those Lija barrels and ever so thankful I do !.

thumb archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, all are Stainless.

I have had many conversations with Dan thru email. He has always responded to my email/s the same day I sent it. He is great to work with.

I think there are many "Great" barrel makers out there. Probably no less than 10. Location, customer service and availability are some of the must haves when I'm looking for a top tier barrel.

posted Hide Post
Yesterday i have recive my Lilja Barrel and today monted in my Sauer Wolverine looks great.
Will come back with info from testshooting only too much snow and wind hope for better weather next week.Thanks for your info about Lilja barrels.

Dillon

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dillon:
...... only too much snow and wind hope for better weather next week.Thanks for your info about Lilja barrels.

My late grandmother from Eidsvold would have told you to quit your whining and go out and shoot that thing. Big Grin

Then she would have treated you to some fresh sandbakkels and lefse.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Today was the big day cold,sun but no wind excellent for testshooting my new Lilja barrel!
And yes my friends recomanding Lilja barrels its looks great and performes better after only 40 rounds and will only be better afther 100+

pdhntr1: sandbakkels and lefse is very good!!!

Dillon