Find
Notify
Tools

Savage or Tikka?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,
My little brother is interested in buying a gun, and is currently looking at either a Tikka T3 or something made by Savage. He does not have a caliber picked out yet, but it will be a common one, and will be used for deer and moose, and the odd unlucky coyote. Price and accuracy are the considerations here. What are your thoughts?
Regards,
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tikka thumb

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recommend that he handle both and buy the one that fits him the best. My personal opinion is that the new Savage 14/114 series is extremely nice if he wants a walnit/blue rifle. Accuracy wise I don't think he would find much difference. I have 6 Savages and 5 Tikkas and enjoy all of them.

TreeFarmer
NRA Life Member

Moderation in the pursuit of decadence is no virture.

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For price and accuracy you can't beat a CZ.
http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=18

I have three CZ rifles and all three will punch one hole groups right out of the box. The 550 American comes with scope rings and can be had for about 580 bucks.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheersFor price verses performance in a hunting rifle the Stevens(Savage) Mod. 200s are the best buy on the market today. I resently bought 4 and they were MOA out of the box.

Examples
  • My Stevens 200 in .223, has a much better repeatability than my CZ527 in .222.
  • Out of the box with the stiff trigger pull and Partisan 130 gr. ammo, the .270 shot a 5 shot group at 100 yds. that measured right at an inch. thumb

The only draw back is the stiff triggers but they can be easily reworked to adequate hunting rifle trigger pulls. dancingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    The Tikka has a 1" 3 shot guarantee. I haven't heard of anyone getting one that wasn't a shooter. The CZ would be my second choice, but their 550 is a bit on the heavy side. However, since you are in BC where big bears reside along with the moose, you would be well advised to consider the CZ 550 or another rifle with controlled round feeding. The Tikka does come in 338, but it is a push feed.

Posts: 50 | Location: albany, ny | Registered: 09 October 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks to all! I will relay the messages. I had not thought of CZ. Thanks also for the CRF vs. PF consideration. I don't think that that will be an issue for the amount of hunting he is going to be doing. If there is anything else I have forgot, please let me know.
    Regards,
    Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Tyler Kemp
    posted Hide Post
    Savage! Mine is amazingly accurate. Performance is what matters, but I actually like that looks of Savages, especially thos new ones they have, I don't like the Tikka T3 checkering.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    savage

Posts: 136 | Location: s.e. bc | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I am a fan of the older Tikkas... but the newer ones don't float my boat.. I hate the access or lack of access to the cartridge chamber....

on the other hand, I really have enjoyed the contact I have had with Savages....

I'd go with a Savage 114 hands down...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of squeeze
    posted Hide Post
    I have a Tikka M695, a Tikka T-3, two Savage
    Model 16's, and a Savage Striker. Here is
    my take on these rifles. Both brands have
    never disappointed me accuracy wise(reads sub
    MOA). If I want a pretty rifle, that comes in a
    standard chambering, I buy Tikkas. I do prefer
    the M695/M595 series, over the T-3, for the port
    access mentioned by Seafire, but it is not
    a show stopper for me. If I want a rifle that
    I will shoot, wear the barrel out, and
    re-barrel, or just fool around with switch
    barrels, I would opt for a Savage. Or if I
    am on a budget, then Savage would get the nod,
    too. One big advantage for the Tikka, is
    the factory trigger is about the best factory
    trigger on the market. I am not a fan of the
    Savage Accu-Trigger. As I see it, neither
    is a poor choice.

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Stevens 200,,,no acutrigger, polish the trigger and tun and it is a good old fashon hunting trigger,,,

I have 4,
    1-223
    2-7mm-08s
    1-300wm

all shoot great and all were under $300 out the door. I download the 223 with Mr. seafire/B17G's blue dot info and the tree rats hate it. Head shots out to 50 yards are fairly easy. The 7mm-08s both shoot one hole groups at 100 on a regular basis and the 300 mag shoots .5 to 1 moa,,,,,It kicks like a flippin mule though.

A complete set of rifles that feels the same shoots the same and all have the same actions and functions right down to the trigger. I like it! I did paint the stocks different collors though for each cal using extra flat camo Fusion paint,,,,,color coded gun safe Wink

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
    One wife
    Two kids
    Three Glocks
    and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
    posted Hide Post
    You really can't go wrong with either one.

I have a stevens which is wonderfully accurate, with an aftermarket trigger to solve the concerns mentioned above. The only thing I'd change if I could would be to have a detachable mag, but there are lots of savage models with that option.

I've hunted with an unmodified t3 lite stainless and love it too. That would likely be my choice if price wasn't an issue.

Posts: 15 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 17 October 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I just picked up my third Savage rifle. I'm new to Savages but they shoot. I'd take a very close look at the Weather Warrior Series the 16 Fss the last one I got but mine is in TAC 20 not factory. I'm just waiting for it to get here. I'm excited about what it's going to shoot like.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Tikka!!! I bought one in 25-06 & it was shooting 3/4 inch 4 shot groups out of the box with my hand loads.Just took a nice antelope with it. SoI bought a Tikka in 243; 1/2 inch groups with hand loads out of the box. Now I also own a Savage in 22-250 in their stainless 26 inch heavy barrel & it shoots 1/2 inch groups after I glass bedded it, but I'd never hesitate spending the extra $$ for the Tikka; under 6 1/2 lbs & they really shoot. Chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Both rifles have a reputation for accuracy, but I prefer the look, feel, design, and workmanship of the Tikka.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Iron Buck
    posted Hide Post
    I used a Tikka 30-06 to take my bull elk in Colorado this year. Just a plain 30-06. While they are accurate, I do not like all the plastic on them. And the stock feels kinda "clubby" to me.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Iron Buck:

And the [Tikka] stock feels kinda "clubby" to me.

I agree with that point.

I have only limited esperience with Savage and Tikka, but the Tikka I worked with, a 25-06, I could not get to shoot as well as I wanted.

I have a Savage Model 12 (heavy barrel, synthetic stock, Accu-Trigger) in 22-250, and it's OK, but I do not think it is outstanding.

I think the metalwork in the Tikka is a bit more "finished" or polished than on the Savage.

I think Remington 700s tend to be better than either the Savage or the Tikka.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    another savage vote they may not win beauty contest but they are good accurate guns

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Reloader
    posted Hide Post
    I'd say Get the Tikka.

I own a couple of Savages and they get the job done but they are quite cheap looking rifles. The accutriggers are abosolutely hidious IMO.

The Tikka has a much smoother action, better trigger, and IMO the finish of the Tikka rifles is much better.

Savage makes cheap rifles that get the job done.

Nothing wrong with either but, The Tikka is a better rifle.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    I`ll vote for the Savage, just because the plastic clip that comes with the T3 has got to be the most pathetic clip I`ve ever seen! I have a couple of $60 .22 rimfires that have sturdier clips.

Posts: 52 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote