New
Find
Notify
Tools

winchester 70 22 hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have ran across a pre-war model 70 Winchester in 22 hornet. Is this thing really worth $1500?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless it's a piece of junk, that is a great price. Most of the pre 64 Hornets were converted to 222 way back when and they are scarce.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagebrush Burns:
Unless it's a piece of junk, that is a great price. Most of the pre 64 Hornets were converted to 222 way back when and they are scarce.

Totally agree.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagebrush Burns:

Yup, and this is why a prospective buyer of a .22 Hornet should always carefully inspect the rear of the chamber with a bright light to determine if he's looking at a .222 chamber job that received a sleeve so as to bring it back to .22 Hornet dimensions. It has happened.

Sam

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Everything has been over the phone so far but I think I will get it. I will let you all know details when I see the gun in person.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
mine is a first year of production gun... paid $1300+ for it...rear bridge is drilled/tapped.. stock is about 80%.. blue is about the same... go for it!!!...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased my very first Pre '64 Winchester Model 70 in .22 Hornet way back in 1972. It was pre war version and I paid $400 for it. Later on in the mid 1970's I purchased a Winchester Model 70 "Super Grade" in .22 Hornet paying $1,200 for it. Both rifle were like new having been shot very few times. Wish I still had them!!! Frowner

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsmit50:
Thanks guys. Everything has been over the phone so far but I think I will get it. I will let you all know details when I see the gun in person.

You might want to check to make sure the rifle is actually unaltered. Some .22 Hornets were altered to .222 Remington without changeing the markings.

I have a Model 70 .22 Hornet which I actually changed back from .222 by replacing the barrel and the extractor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the rifle. The bore has a pitting issue and the stock appeared to have been bedded and the recoil pad replaced. As for now I'm not going to get it. Thanks again for your input.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mine is a carbine, SN: 36xx.

Get a barrel and find a used stock.

Winchester isn't smart enough or talented these days to figure how to build any more.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're smitten with something original, don't forget to consider the M-54. Hornet was a popular chambering in them. Sam

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr DSMIT50, I sent you a PM. very best

Posts: 129 | Location: SW GA | Registered: 01 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Based on bore and stock condition as you describe, all you have is an action worth about $600 to $700...

I wouldn't buy it..It's a very desirable model and caliber, but that does not make it valueable..condition is the holy grail or these old guns, they fetch collector price and collector don't buy junk, they want the best..

To fix it up, would mean a custom barrel as you cannot find an original Hornet barrel and if you do it will cost and arm and a leg. You will have $2500 in a shooter before its over.

I can't count the times I have had someone try to sell me a totally junk Winchester like a 38-55 or 25-35 and I wouldn't meet their price and they tell me Joe Blow sold his for $2500..I know Joe Blow, he is a collector and bought that like new SRC in 38-55 with factory engraving or who knows what. Happens all the time to some poor sucker. then he is stuck with it for life. pissers

Rest my case.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote