New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Rebarreling a 257 WBY
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
buy a hogue drop-in or such. hunt with the rifle this season on that platform. when deer season is over send it off to a quality smith to fix it right in the wood stock.
he will be happy your giving him 10 months instead of 6 weeks. give him some ammo that you would like to work in it. let him fiddle with it untill it is right.
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless the current stock is too skinny in the forearm, I have a hard time seeing how the stock as such could be the culprit. Action or barrel bedding yes, but the stock itself, hmmm. So, if you like the stock, I would definitely seek advice what might be wrong with the current setup. That is, if you actually have faith in diagnosis made at Weatherby's - i.e. that a different (synthetic) stock fixes the problem. So I would try your option #4 first, but proceed cautiosly, find a smith you trust with bedding jobs.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to update everyone on the Weatherby.

I sent it back to Weatherby in CA a few weeks ago, as Jorge had suggested. They removed the barrelled action from the wood stock and placed it in a synthetic stock, then proceeded to test fire it. Two groups were shot, coming in at 0.4" and 0.8". Great groups for a Weatherby, in my opinion. I haven't gotten it back yet, but the consensus is the stock is the problem. Well, since I took out some of the barrel channel to float the barrel and bedded the action (all attempts to correct what the first Weatherby gunsmith screwed up), they will not replace the stock for free. I voided the warranty when I started playing with it. They offered to put the pressure pad back in for $70+, but wouldn't guarantee it would help. I told them no and directed them to return the rifle as is.

I guess I have a couple of options now, none of which I'm really happy with.
1. Leave the rifle as is and shoot only deer sized game at ranges less than 200 yds. Not really what I would like to do.
2. Replace the stock with a synthetic stock. Don't really want this either. The stock currently on it is a beautiful piece of walnut that I would love to keep. It's one of the things that makes a Weatherby so nice.
3. Buy another wood stock. This is a gamble with regards to accuracy, as we all know wood can be quite sensitive. Not to mention expensive for the level of quality I would want to replace the existing stock.
4. Dump more money in the current stock by having a good smith fix it. Another gamble in my opinion.

Any thoughts from you guys? I guess I got another year to think about this, since I'm probably not going to hunt with it this year .

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What were the prices Weatherby quoted you for a total stock replacement? Wood and synthetic? Things like this is why I always tell people when they buy a new rifle and it doesn�t work right not to mess with it their self but to send it back to the factory and NOT to an authorized repair shop. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I don't mean to be contrary, but I have some suggestions.

1) Is it possible that this stock doesn't fit well and/or the recoil or muzzle blast is causing a flinch? The recoil of the 257 WM isn't all that terrible, but its muzzle blast is second to none. Perhaps you could try the buddy system - have a friend load your rifle (when youre not looking) with either a live round or an empty chamber, then shoot. This is the best way to pinpoint any shooter issues. I do a similar thing to myself with my big-bore revolvers - I put one empty in and then spin the cylinder when I latch it. Keeps my trigger squeeze honest...

2) Also, have you tried a good copper solvent? Fouling can build up quite quickly in some factory barrels, especially in overbored rounds. If this is a problem, you may want to lap your barrel.

3) I would have the stock re-bedded by a COMPETENT smith - there are too many average-to-poor smiths out there that are beyond worthless.

4) Have your barrel re-crowned, lap the lugs, and square the bolt face. (Again, by a COMPETENT smith.)

5) Perhaps have a COMPETENT smith pull the barrel and square up the action face. Perhaps even set the barrel back a thread and rechamber.

6) Are your reloads headspacing on the rim or the shoulder? Shoulder is almost always better...

Anyway, there's lots to try - I only suggest all this because you seem to have a sentimental attachment to the rifle. I, myself, am in a similar boat with a 7x57...

Anyway, good luck.