Do I need a .257 Roberts?
 Login/Join

Picture of RvS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
quote:
Originally posted by RvS:
You're assuming. My hunting ammo is all twice fired brass. I think it takes 2 firings for a case to be final formed. I only body size the case when I can't close the bolt.

Welcome to the forum by the way. Good to see new some new blood. tu2

Thank you for the welcome. tu2

Same hole I think!

Posts: 19 | Location: Central, VA | Registered: 28 November 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 1..243, 1..250 Savage, 3..257 Roberts and 2..25'06.

Most years my prime deer rifle is a Carolina Precision 257 Roberts m700 action, 24" Lilja 3 grove 1:10 twist #2 barrel, in a Brown Precision Pounder. It is a delight to use and my standard load is 120gr Partations @ 2,850fps.

This year I am hunting with a Sauer 202 in 25'06 with the same load @ 3,000 FPS. I just wanted to try a "modern German " hunting rifle. I'll probably go back to the 257 next year better balance but the Sauer really has a great trigger.

I use Winchester brass in my 257 because I have got 2 lots of Remington brass with screwed up necks.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is amusing how folks try to defend what is an individual choice as if it needed to be defended.
Come on will y'all, it's a fine old cartridge that falls between the 250-3000 and 25-06 and that's it. It's not a magic killer and no more accurate than any other 1/4 bore (even a 257 Weatherby) in a top quality rifle.
People who "improve it" are just building a rifle with no resale value that will (maybe) equal the 25-06. Ever more silly than the 280 AI crowd who actually think they have something better than a 7mm Remington Magnum.
If you want it, whatever it is, can afford it and know the downsides, then build it. As the current/former owner of the "worthless and obsolete" 22 Hornet,(2), 22-06 (1), 250-3000, (1), 257 Bob (2), 25-20 (2), 32-20 (2), 44-40 (1) 244 H&H (1), 7x57 (2) 300 Savage (5), 300 H&H (4) 303 savage (1), 358 Winchester (1), 400 Whelen (1), 400 H&H (1).
Also two current "darlings of the experts" the 35 Whelen (2) and 9.3x62 (3) which 10 years ago were as dead as the dodo in the USA.
If you need us to convince you to buy any gun, you need to switch to golf (chuckle).

Ever notice that posts like this are never written about the 22 Rimfire, 270 Winchester, 30-06, 375 H&H or 12 bore shotgun ? Perhaps there's message hidden there........

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ever notice that posts like this are never written about the 22 Rimfire, 270 Winchester, 30-06, 375 H&H or 12 bore shotgun ? Perhaps there's message hidden there........

Does anyone ever need a 375H&H when an economical 375 Ruger is now available by Ruger, or even more inexpensively by Howa? The 375 Ruger fits normal actiona and has more capacity than the 375H&H. From what I hear, they have sold very well in areas with at least partial forested hunting or larger game. The only strike against them is that it took rifle companies a century to figure out this no-brainer.

The other 'no brainer', recently unveiled, is the 338 Norma Magnum. Basically, a 'standard' length Rigby case.
I suppose the remaining niche would be to combine the two and produce a 375 medium-length Rigby, sort of a necked-up 338 Norma that would equal the 375RUM ballistically, but fit a standard length magazine. Well, until then at least we have inexpensive 416Rigbys for magnum actions and 375Rugers for standard actions.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey 45-70 Shooter you forgot to include the 45-70 on your "worthless and obsolete" list......

stir

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes you do. I did a conversion from a 223 to a 257 Rob. Used an H&R break open single shot.
I was quite expensive. Rebore from 223 to 257R.
Milled the barrel octagon, modified the stock and made the rifle considerable lighter. Shoots three shoots in under a 1/2". One shot kills is the norm on White Tails. It is a wonderful rifle specially for off hand shooting.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
The other 'no brainer', recently unveiled, is the 338 Norma Magnum. Basically, a 'standard' length Rigby case.
I suppose the remaining niche would be to combine the two and produce a 375 medium-length Rigby, sort of a necked-up 338 Norma that would equal the 375RUM ballistically, but fit a standard length magazine. Well, until then at least we have inexpensive 416Rigbys for magnum actions and 375Rugers for standard actions.
Jimmy Sloan (hopefully I've spelled his name correctly), designer of the 338 Norma Magnum as well as the derivative 300 Norma Magnum has already developed the 375 Norma Magnum. As an FYI, I believe all were sold under the Cripple Creek nomenclature prior to Norma picking up the cartridges.

Interesting place to have this conversation - here on the 'small bores'...

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
quote:
Jimmy Sloan (hopefully I've spelled his name correctly), designer of the 338 Norma Magnum as well as the derivative 300 Norma Magnum has already developed the 375 Norma Magnum. As an FYI, I believe all were sold under the Cripple Creek nomenclature prior to Norma picking up the cartridges.

Interesting place to have this conversation - here on the 'small bores'...

Good to hear from you, Capo

Well, despite running around with a 416 and waiting for the 500 AccR Nyati, we just picked up a M70 Compact Featherweight in 243Win. We're still in the stages of breaking in, working up loads, and tinkering with accuracy. My son is visiting, too, and he said that it was fun to shoot something that didn't aggressively jump and shove back. Well, at least shooting a 243 can help prevent the developing of a flinch from a steady diet of 6000-7000 foot-pound loadings---except that the loudness in the 243 seems to be the thing to overcome. All rifles startle the nervous system. So one holds on target, deadpan, and lets the chips fall where they may. Hopefully we can see if the 90 gr. Nosler E-tip is stable in the 10" twist in the next two weeks.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Hey Tanz,

Good to hear that you bit the bullet and bought your wife her M70/243 Win combo. It should be a joy to carry and shoot.

LOL…But you’ve probably opened the proverbial flood gate with the rifle…Now you’ll have to pick up another M70 Compact Featherweight and have it re-barreled in a BB caliber for her use.

Oh well, have fun and enjoy plinking with the 243…

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of RvS
posted Hide Post
The more this thread goes on, the more I think I need a .257 Roberts. old

Same hole I think!

Posts: 19 | Location: Central, VA | Registered: 28 November 2012Reply With Quote