New
Find
Notify
Tools

In a perfect world
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In a perfect world, there would be a process to remove all the copper fouling in a barrel in One Easy Application Smiler
What process and what product do you fellows find to work best?
I use Butch's Bore Shine or Sweet's, which ever is closest at the time. I can't tell any difference between the two

tony

Better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Posts: 28 | Location: lenoir,nc | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
There's only one I use... http://jbborecleaner.com/ Best stuff out there, period.

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wipe-out.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
abrasives? Not my choice.

If you really want to strip copper out of a rifle bore
is to use a purpose made copper remover, usually ammonia based.

Barnes CR10 is certainly the strongest most "agressive" cleaner on the market, but they specifically recommend against leaving it in the bore for more than 15min

I like Bore tech copper remover and it works really well, better than Hoppes CR or Sweets 7.62 anyway.
and doesn't dammage nickel plating

It rarely takes me more than three or four wet patches
through a barrel after a session at the range to see
the patches stop comming out bright blue.

I have two barrels that have never seen a brush
just alternating wet and dry patches.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
WipeOut....in a perfect world Africa would belong to me! Big Grin

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear ya Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was testing some loads in my 22-250 this weekend (5 sets of 5) and cleaned the rifle when i got home. I was still getting blue patches when I gave up and decided to work on it later. I didn't let the bore soak too long (5 minutes max) and still was getting blue patches. The gun is still new, I haven't shot 100 rnds thru it yet. I'm very meticulus about cleaning my weapons (some would say obsessed). Just seemed odd that I keep getting so much copper out of the barrel. Thanks for your suggestions

Tony

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony I see you are from Lenoir,NC.A good copper remover is 50 BMG from Montana.This stuff is strong so be sure you use it in a ventalated area.You should be able to find it in the gun shops in your area.
I and my shooting buddies started useing this when it first came out and we think it is the best on the market.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stoots, I have used Sweets & Wipe out with good success.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote