New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 Win a good load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I went to the range today and shot some 150gr bullets to sight in a leopole scope I put on my 270 Win. I brought with me some phone books 3" wide phone books taped 3 thick and shot a couple rounds thru it at 100 yds. I guess the bullets held together little hole in about a 1 1/2" hole coming out. Ever done that?

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
That's great.....now you're ready for next years phone book season!!!

Seriously....try shooting through 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water.....it's a much better test of what the .270 is all about.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
vapodog, I have shot revolers and pistols thru milk jugs filled with water. It takes about 8 doing that. How many with a rifle?

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a .270? Lots!

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this is a late post but I am trying to catch up. I fill up four 5 gallon buckets with water and line em up, then shoot em with new bullets I want to try at 100 yds. I tend to stay with 130 and 140 grain projectiles for the .270. Usuall the first buck jumps about 6 feet in the air straight up and the bullet will either just make it to the inside of the third bucket or bounce off. I find a lot of bullets and some are impressive some are not but thats a different thread.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Soak those phone books 1st. Dry paper is very hard on bullets. I've found bullets recovered from wetpack look amazingly like ones taken from animals. Bullet on left is from wetpack, the right from a big Kudu bull.
www.hunt101.com/img/147483.jpg They weigh almost the same too!

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Question?

With all do respect, since when is a 270 a small caliber? I only come on here for small caliber information. So when I see these ridiculous posts I have to ask questions. Not trying to be a smart a$$.

Cat, the other white meat.

Posts: 10 | Location: Southwest PA and Honolulu HI | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote