Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 Roberts seating depth
 Login/Join

posted
Just got back from the range with my Ruger Hawkeye Bob - tried 6 different loads with 3 different powders (4350, 4064, & Hybrid 100) - bullet is a 100 grain Partition. Only one load shot well at all.(1-1/2") I think it might be seating depth - seated them to OAL of 2.790 - which is max recommended, but since this is a longer magazine rifle - how much longer should I make them? There are Max length "how-to" instructions in my Nosler Handbook - just have never had to do this before - all of mine rifles have shot very well at the length suggested by the manual. Thanks for the help.

Bob with a "Bob"

Posts: 18 | Location: Boerne, Tx | Registered: 27 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take advantage of the book.
start them out there and back them off a bit at a time.
your rifle may just not like the partition.
i have had a few that wouldn't get them under 1-1/2"s
they do the job when they get there though.
my winchester likes the hornady 120's and rl-19.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Mine preferred the 120 gr partition over the 100. Mine also liked the 115 gr ballistic tip over the 100. Sometimes different barrels are more finicky than others. Maybe just try a different bullet?

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Set your bullet out to .05" off the ogive. Hornady makes the measurement tool you will need. I have played around with the 257 Roberts for 20+ years and find that if your rifle won't shoot Sierra 117 Boat tails with 45.0 gr of 4350 it won't shoot. For a cup & core bullet I think the 117 Sierra flat base is the best hunting bullet but I still use Nosler Partations because we have hogs on the farm.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I almost never pay atention to book length.
My recomendation is load a round long an continue to seat it deeper by half a turn of the die stem , till you can close the action.
Then go half a turn deeper.
That is asuming you don't want to buy the hornady OAL guage set.
Also try 46 grains of H-414 under a 100 grain barnes tripple shock.
One minor dissapointment in my ruger .257 R is that even though it's built on a long action , it's throated short so you can't take advantage of it.
If I load to the lands the rounds will still fit in a short action magazine...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:

One minor dissapointment in my ruger .257 R is that even though it's built on a long action , it's throated short so you can't take advantage of it.
If I load to the lands the rounds will still fit in a short action magazine...tj3006

TJ: that's easy for a 'smith to correct!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger M77 MkII and my friend loads for me. He has the OAL at 2.9" and it shoots pretty well. Consistent 1 MOA when I do my part. This is using 85 gr, 100 gr, and 120 gr bullets.

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Just one man's opinion: Try to load a few Sierra 117gr. SGK's over 44.0 gr. of H4350.

That's pretty much the "baseline" load against which all others are compared to. 1/2 MOA in my Remington...

I load to 2.800 length. Good luck.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great advice - by the time I did the Nosler method of determining OAL - I ended up at what all of you suggested - 2.900 - guess we all oughta write a book Smiler

Bob with a Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did the longer loads end up working out at the range?

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ol army, you point is a good one,
But my Ruger shoots 100 grain bullets real well.
So I just use it with a couple of pet loads.
I have another roberts, a custom springfield that is more versital.
So if I decide i want to shoot a heavier bullet i cam use that rifle...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dude, load the bullet into the case a good ways off just so that you can get it in the magazine, chamber it with the saftey on, and try to close the bolt, when it won't close then seat it a bit deeper, keep doing this a 1/4 turn of your seating die until the bolt closes. Then load three more with another 1/4 turn down, 3 more another 1/4 turn down. Also try this with 45, 45.5 and 46 grains of H4350 (NOT IMR4350) if one of these does not shoot or the 117 load that Ga Hunter Tom uses (who has multiple bobs) then sell the rifle!

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Bob,
I have a M77 MkII Ultralight that works well with Nosler Ballistic Tips and Hornady 100gr. spitzers. I load it about .020" off the lands with both bullets. I could probably tell you the oal. but I have given up measuring that way and now use the Nornady-Stoney Point measuring tool to measure to the ogives. I find it is much more consistent than measuring to a tip which can often be malformed from the factory. The measurement to the ogive is what you are concerned with anyway.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the tip measurement thing ain't all that great, cram them into the leade and then back off a 1/4 turn of the seating die for each 3 test loads. Be sure to take notes. Use a lot of H4350, if the rifle don't shoot with 100 grain Ballistic Tips, or 117 grain Sierra's or 100 grain TSX bullets then get rid of it.

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Haven't had a chance to go shoot the new loads -been raining here in Texas (surprise) - but really want the 100 g Partitions to work - have been very satisfied with them in my 270 - our deer in S Texas tend to be a little bigger. I had a 180 grain Ballistic Silvertip blow up on big buck's shoulder about 5 years ago (only deer I've ever lost) - so I just tend to want to use something that is a little bit stouter in construction. I've used Accubonds which work great - but haven't bought any of those yet for the Bob. If these loads don't work (at 2.900 OAL) will try some Accubonds or Triple Shocks. Thanks for all the help!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 75AG:
Haven't had a chance to go shoot the new loads -been raining here in Texas (surprise) - but really want the 100 g Partitions to work - have been very satisfied with them in my 270 - our deer in S Texas tend to be a little bigger. I had a 180 grain Ballistic Silvertip blow up on big buck's shoulder about 5 years ago (only deer I've ever lost) - so I just tend to want to use something that is a little bit stouter in construction. I've used Accubonds which work great - but haven't bought any of those yet for the Bob. If these loads don't work (at 2.900 OAL) will try some Accubonds or Triple Shocks. Thanks for all the help!

I loaded some 110gr Accubonds in my 257 AI and they were slightly over an inch at the range, loaned the rifle to a friend and there were 2 dead deer the following week. The whitey buck was a 100 yard boiler room shot, the muley was a 300 yard shot, poorly placed on a running deer. Took out one back leg near the hip, tracked it for a mile or so, found it bedded and finished it off. A foot of snow on the ground made tracking very easy. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the examples - I shot one 225 lb S Texas buck last fall with the Hornady Light Magnums 117 grain SST - heart shot at 100 yards - ran almost 200 yards with blood for the 1st 20 yards, and then NOTHING. Found him just before it got too dark - almost lost him - that's why I want Partitions - shoulder shots - break 'em down and wreck 'em - that's what my 270 and 300 Win mag do - but like havin' a rifle named like me - BOB Smiler

All the other does I shot - were 1 shot bang flops - but want to shoot the bigger deer with the BOB

posted Hide Post
Ok - finally got this right. I changed bullets to the Barnes 100 grain Tipped Triple Shock. I used 44.4 grains of IMR 4350. Federal GM210 Match Primers. Seating depth is 2.783.

3 shots within 1/2 inch.

Tried longer seating depths - the groups got bigger.

Now the test starts this Sunday - we're culling does in South Texas. Looking forward to neck shots and bang flops.

Thanks for all your help. Just too stubborn to jump on the "Barneswagon," as the gun just doesn't like 100 grain Partitions.

Bob with a Bob

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Congrats on working up a good load for the Hawkeye Bob. Here's hoping you are elbow deep in deer belly soon!
Mort

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote