New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes .224 45 gr. X
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anybody used the 45 gr Barnes X .22 on anything "substantial" in size? I have a few boxes and have considered trying them in a .221 Fireball to bust a doe at close range. I've used the 53 gr X in a .225 Win. on deer and it worked fine but I'm thinking the 45 gr might be the way to go in the small cased Fireball to keep velocity up. I don't consider the smaller .22's "deer cartridges" but I have a 700 LS .221 that wants to hunt and we have very few varmints. I have a good many customers who routinely kill deer with the Hornet with fragile factory loads so the Fireball with an X ought to be an improvement. Wondering about the penetration abilities of the 45 gr X at around 3000 fps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Barnes 45 gr. XLC’s in my .22 Hornet for called in Coyotes with very good results. Sorry but I don’t consider any .22 centerfire suitable for anything larger than Pronghorn Antelope and then only in the higher velocity .22 centerfires(.22-250 and up) at ranges under 200 yards. Lawdog
wave

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As with Lawdog, I use the 45gr XLC in my Hornet for coyotes, again with very good results. I load Barnes in .22, .24, .27 and four .30 calibers, and they seem most impressive on 'large for caliber' game.

If I were to use it for a smallish doe, I would be very particular about bullet placement and shot distance. I do not doubt it would be very effective.
Keep us posted.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since Black tail deer locally are the size of antelope, I'd wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer...

The bullet will perform well.. I have used it in a 223 to take several Oregon deer out of a 223...

It should work on a lot of deer native to SC...

I once lived in No. Carolina, so I am sure that the deer in SC are the same size....

A few people I know locally hunt with their daughters with 22 Hornets and the 45 grain X bullets, and have never been told of any failures to put the animal down...

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote