THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Which 100 grain 25-06 bullet in 25-06 for whitetails??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 100 grain 25-06 bullet in 25-06 for whitetails??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted
I'm a newbie to the 25-06 and game.

I spent all summer killing paper & steel with 100 gr. SMK's. I'm looking for input on which 100 gr. game bullet will most reliably not blow up on close range shots on whitetail, yet reliably expand out to 500 or 600 yards if need be. I've been soured on Accu-Bonds by a bad experience with a 7-STW. So those are not an option. Ideally, I'd like to stay economical. But don't know how cup & core bullets will hold up on a 25 yard shot. Would be happy to hear all inputs.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Baised on deer and antelope that I have seen shot with the 243, 25/06 and the 257 WBY a Nosler Partition would be my personal pick, but I have seen a bunch of deer and antelope shot with a 100gr Sierra in the 25/06.

I have shot a few deer with a 100gr Hornady, 100gr Partition and the 120gr Partition, in the 257WBY. Could not tell much difference in performance, but all shots were broadside no raking type shots.

I still think it is hard to beat a Nolser Partition in the proper calibre and weight for the game being hunted, especially for allround use.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
100gr Barnes TSX work really well in mine with a stiff dose of IMR-4350.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 100gr Sierra Pro Hunter for years on whitetail deer. I shot a 190lb 8 pointer a couple of seasons ago with the 100gr Sierra. I was in a thicket and the only shot I had was to gut shoot it. The deer walked about 60yds and laid down and died. We recovered the bullet in the off side hip and it weighed 53gr.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the Hornady 100 grain spire point. Excellent projectile.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the 100 grain Hornady, and my dad uses the 100 Nosler Partition. Both kill Deer dead. Nothing negative to report on either. The Hornady is about half the cost of the Nosler, if that matters.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
load the 117grain Hornadys and don't look back. Good for deer, black bear and anything else that wants to get in front of your muzzle. Paul.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try the old Nosler Solid Base bullets if you can find any! If not try the Hornady 1000 gr interlocks. They worked well in Hawaii on the big Axis and will work on your Whitetails.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
100 gr NOT 1000.
Sorry

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 100gr Partitions and Sierra SBT. My powder of choice is IMR4831. These two bullets are within 1/4 inch of same POI.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Favorite bullet for deer in a 25-06 is the SIERRA 117 grain SPBT. HOWEVER if I was going to drop down to 100 grain bullets, I'd use whatever SPEER or SIERRA offered in that bullet weight. 30+ years of 49.0 grains of IMR 4350 and the SIERRA 117's and "never having to track one", is kinda hard to let go. SIERRA 117's are accurate, dependable and repeatable!! You want another 100fps or so with acceptable accuracy?..........53.1 grains of H4831sc. Both of these loads are interchangeble with HORNADY 120 grain HP. Charlie(GHD)...............pastor at the church of GHD and the 25-06

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote