New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle choice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am wanting to buy a rifle,I have had several over the years,25-06 270 280 7 Mag If those I liked the A bolt 7 mag best.I d like the best most accurate I could get for aroung 800 to 1200.
I like the ballistics of the 257 Weatherby but dont know much about thier rifles.I like the Sendero SF also and also the Ruger#1 What would be a good choice gun and caliber? It will be used 95% for whitetail hunting

Posts: 74 | Location: NC | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
to me, there's nothing like a weatherby.

i can't help you pick a whitetail cartridge, because i've never seen one.
the .257 is pretty useless up here, due to some stupid regulations, but setting the law to the side it would be the perfect reindeer and seal cartridge.

if you choose a weatherby, keep in mind that vanguard's have only a 24" barrel.
you should be able to find a new MkV synthetic for 1200$, or you can buy a virtually new sporter or a deluxe, accumark etc in very good condition.

good luck with your new rifle, you won't be disappointed if you choose a weatherby(if they are your cup of tea).

i can recommend these forums:
http://www.weatherby.dk/
http://www.weatherbynation.com/ (weatherby's official forum, ed himself actually answers some posts.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote remington 700 titanium in 260. why? short action, nonbelted, wide range of bullets in .264, and many parts can be upgraded if needed (jewell trigger, badger ordnance bottom metal, 20 MOA base, etc.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you interested in a rifle or a cartridge??
A Remington 700 Model CDL is a nice rifle with a lot of after market support and most custom gun smiths are familiar with it. The 7-08 is a premier deer cartridge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i kinda kinda leaning in the 257 25-06 caliber
I have thought about the 264 Win mag in the Sendero.But hard to find 264 brass.I just want a high quality accurate rifle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I wanted a "bean field" rifle, I'd get a Remington Sendero in .30-06. Equip it with a tactical Leupold, and with practice, any critter you can see, you can kill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it dont come in a 30-06 its only in 264 7mm rem mag 7mm UM 300 win and 300 UM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a shame...
I'd pass on the 264 as it has nothing over the 7's. I'm partial to thirty calibre, but the 7 will save you in the recoil department, so fwiw, 7 Rem mag is my choice.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornCZ 550 American in 6.5 X 55. Neat , affordable and accurate rifle. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
its only in 264 7mm rem mag 7mm UM 300 win and 300 UM

I've never owned the 7mmRUM, and never will, out of the other calibers I would pick the 300 win, 7mm rem, 264 win in that order with the 300 RUM sucking hind teat far enough back it went away just a few months ago. Just my .02

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i like the 300 win mag i just feel its abit much for deer.That is 95% of what it will be used for.I kinda leaning in the 257 wby mag
or a 25-06

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
i like the 300 win mag i just feel its abit much for deer.That is 95% of what it will be used for.I kinda leaning in the 257 wby mag
or a 25-06

OK never owned the 257 weth either, but have owned a couple 25-06 and that would be my choice if only had those to choose from.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
check on places like gunbroker.com,there is several sendero's in 25-06.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
as of now its between the Weatherby Accumark 257
and the Sako 85 in 25-06 I'm just not sure on Sako;s barrel length,id like it to be 26 inches
not to lose performance

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd make that an accumark anyday.
does the sako come with a accuracy-guarantee, 54 degree boltlift or that supersmooth MkV action.

but then again, i'm a weatherby enthusiast.

http://www.sako.fi/sako85_main.php?m=1
click on your model and then tecnical specifications to find barrel lengths

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a 1,200.00. budget ,
i would have one built. Lots of ways to go there. I bet .257 weatherby brass is as expensive and hard to find as .264 win.
mabye find yourself an action you like and have it barreld to .25,06 or better yet .257 Roberts
Why do i say Roberts is better ?.
Really its not better for actually taking game.
But say you had a barreld action in .257 roberts. Light sporter barrel and 22 inches. decent stock and a 3X9 leupold.
you can carry it all day and shoot it a fair amount without heating it up to fast.
Its plenty of power for deer. brass is plentifull and cheap. Lots of great bullets in 60 to 120 grains.
and , its just cool to me.
the rifle bartch recomends is a good one too, except a heavy darn thing. But I would be shocked if you bought a CZ 550 in in 6.5 and it did,nt shoot MOA or better.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry just not interested in 257 Roberts

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Actually I believe Sakos and Wby Accurmarks are both MOA guarantee. My uncle has a Sako 223 that will group around .5 MOA all day with factory loads.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
from what I have read the accumark has a 3 shot 1 1/2 inch guarantee.Ths Sako has a 5 shot 1 inch guarantee.I also looked on website at a Cooper 52 it has a 1 inch guarantee also.
the accumark 257 wby has a 26 inch barrel
the Sako from what i can find has a 24
I can get any length on the Cooper up to 26,But hate waiting 5 months on the Cooper.Are there alot of performance difference in the 25-06 between 24 and 26 inch barrels

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's obvious that you want the Wby so why not go ahead and get it??? We don't have to validate yor selection.
I don't ask anyone when I buy a new rifle.
Just buy it and enjoy.
Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there would likly be a little velocity loss with a 24 inch cooper. Somewhere beetween 40 and 100fps.
The .25,06 is still a great round with a 24 inch tube.
The .257 weatherby is one hel of s flat shooting game killer.
But If you like to shoot for fun as well as hunting, it heats up a barrel real fast.
Shoot a five round string real fast , then reach out a touch your barrel . but don't squeeze to tight.
You nebtioned you Ruger #1S. So do I. I think a #1 in 25,06 would have a 26 inch tube.
They can be real tack drivers, but sometims they need to be free floated 1st ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a fine deer rifle, try a Remington M7 in either 7mm-08 or .260 Remington. I've tried both and I will swear by the .260 M7. They are lower power rounds than many, but they are designed for deer, not buffalo.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I admit the 257 WBY as far as ballistics is my first choice.If I just knew abit about the Accumark rifle.The Sako as far as i read from reviews may e best rifle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Price range 8-12 Tikka ,A bolt ,CZ , Remington , Sako will run a bit more as would Styer .

Now as for caliber long or short ?. For Deer and Elk a 7 MM whom evers make is hard to beat. .30 Cal not necessary but a super selection of projectiles makes many lean that way . 100-180 on 7MM stuff is Ideal for most everything that walks N A . If you have one already why get a new one ?. Tune up rechamber new barrel new optics or perhaps a new stock or all the above ?.
archer
When I hunt light game , I still use a 7MM with light loads 100-130 grain . I see no reason not to !?. Then when I need power I step up to 160 - 175 grains and load the B Jeeus out of it !. I'm normally only going to shoot it one shot , so what's that for recoil ?.

I've hunted with several hunting partners as many of us have and everybody has a different caliber or view as to why one needs a different gun . Either been told or an Ego story .

I only wish I had a tenth of the animals that a friend has taken with his 7 MM RM , and another friend with a 6.5 X 55 .

I simply retired one of my favorite Mauser's in 7MM RM 3000L because of it's value . I got a New Tikka yep in 7 MM RM and so far it's everything I had hoped for except accuracy it's better than I could ever have hoped for !.

Good luck deciding !. Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had those as i would trade one for the otherthe last was a a bolt ss 7 mm mag.Which i had to sell,So i dont have a action or anything.
Wife has agreed to let me get a nice rifle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had any experience with a Weatherby or Sako

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes and Yes . Staying in the price range is tricky if not impossible . Tikka SS hunter or even a Varminter would put you in the price for a nice accurate well made weapon . A Tikka after all is a Sako without the fancy wood IMO any way .

A CZ is a nice shooter but I find that protruding magazine well Ugly .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can if needed go 1400 which did you like best between the Sako and Weatherby

one of us
posted Hide Post
REM. 700 CDL IN .260 REM OR 7-08 REM. OR STAINLESS STL. BDL IN 24" 260 OR 7-08. FOR DEER SIZE GAME THEY BOTH ARE GREAT ROUNDS OUT TO 300 YRDS.

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
need more range id at least like it to maybe 500 yds just found a article on short like of a 257 barrel so maybe a 25-06 now

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Option 2 I was thinking of buying a used remingtion 700 in 270,Sending it to Hart and having a 26 1/2 inch stainless match grade barrel on it and have glass bedded would this shoot better than a new gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you start buying donor rifles for actions and having them rebarrelled you will end up with a good bit of money tied up in a rifle that you will never, ever get back. If you are satisfied that this is gonna be your final rifle then go for it. Don't you have any local smiths where you live? I like to look a man in the eye when I deal with him. And if you're gonna go the custom barrel route, and want something that will reach out and touch someone, you might want to consider the 6.5-284.
I think you're attributing some sort of magic to a 26" barrel that really isn't there.
Finally, why not go to a large sporting goods store and have them line up all the guns you're interested in on the counter and handle and heft each one. One of them may very well whisper "take me home".

One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
I never shot a Sako, but some years ago I have a Weatherby MV DL cal 257 Mag. Shot very flat and seriously accurate. Weatherby action is fantastic: smoof, solid and apsolutly without problem.
If You're looking for a flat caliber this is one of the best gun, but only if don't need to walk in the mountain for some hours. It's heavy to transport.
Faina

I prefer to die standing that to live in knee

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your going out too 500 Yd. ?. Then do it with either a 7 MM RM ,RUM or .300 !.

5 is a long way to still have anything left when it gets there . Light bullets work very well at 0-300 Yd. after that (IMO ) one needs to step up to say 130 -175 grain or perhaps more depending on animal sizes .

I remember a professional guide talking to another guide in the off season while I was in Idaho .
I over heard one saying you know what really Pisses me , is when the client tells the stalking hunt story and the yardage at which they shot their animal at . Lying SOB's double or even triple the distance . Makes us look like incompetent Idiots that couldn't get them close enough for a decent shot !.

You ultimately will decide on which caliber but I wouldn't go below .284 again just MO !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DrK I still have the Remington Sendero SF 300 win in mind.As of right now i just weighing options on how to come up with best rifle for what i want I do thank you all for your help and thoughts.Id be sold on 257 weatherby if just barrel life was'nt so short

posted Hide Post
I have a Mark 5 Ultra Lightweight in 257 and it will shoot 3 shot goups in the .60 range. It is deadly on whitetails.

Posts: 9 | Location: NE MS | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like the Sendero SF II in the .264WM, but are worried about availability of brass, don't. As long as the 7mmRM is around, there will always be brass for the .264WM!! And the 7mmRM, will, I predict, be around longer than anybody reading this post! Big Grin

If you like the .257 Weatherby, in 2008, there will be a special run of Rem 700 CDL SF's in that caliber. This year (2007) there was a special run of both blued and stainless CDL fluted's in the .264WM.

You might also be interested to note that the Limited Edition 700 CDL SF for 2008 is gonna be in the 260 Rem.

BTW, in my neck of the woods, a person is more likely to run across .264WM brass than .257n Weatherby brass.

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slim and Mustad I admit the 257 wby has dream ballistics it makes my mouth water.I have just read that they have short barrel .I have thought of the Sendero SF in 264 win and 300
but since 95% will be deer hunting just feel it will tear up to much meat

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, you could do what I do, and that is, don't shoot 'em where it will ruin any meat! Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well I never try to but it does happen