THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: Finally, A Perfect Over The Counter Factory Rifle.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Finally, A Perfect Over The Counter Factory Rifle.
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
I have been tempted many-a-time to buy a model 84. They are very nice looking, lightweight, and, from what I've heard, capable of respectable accuracy. However, the stock is an extremely poor fit, at least for me. oh well...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Kimber stocks are pretty much average at least to me. Due to needing to clear the bolt even a Leu eyepiece needs medium height mounts so the cheek weld is not tight for me. The LOP is 13.66" which is a little long when I have a heavy coat on. I had one of the 84's shortened to 13.25". The Decelerator pad is glued on by the way and is almost impossible to save.

There are plenty of choices and one should handle all of the options and get what they like.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
The LOP is less a problem for me than is the DAH and DAT. I just can't get the pad to make full contact with my shoulder without forcing myself into an unnatural and uncomfortable shooting hold. If the stock had 1/2" DAC and a 1-3/8" DAH, I'd own an 84 in every standard caliber through a 308. This would make muzzle jump a bit worse, but probably not enough to cause any problems. I evidently have a peculiar shoulder setup as these straight comb stocks seem to be all the rage these days. If only...

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
What are the differences between the 84 and the 8400? I've looked at the 84 but have never senn a 8400? weight, muzzle dia, etc.

By the way, you've got sweeeet rifle

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You had to let the trigger down . That makes it a little less than perfect.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sakolover,

Do you know that Cindy Crawford has a little spot on her face?

I know your just kidding. I am going to shoot the rifle again tommorrow and I have not cleaned the barrel. I want to see where the shots go with the same load.

TC1,

You would have to go to the Kimber site and compare the data. I have only handled a 8400 Classic. That rifle seems larger than the 84's and therefore not a lot different than other brands. I want to look at a 8400 Montana however. One in 270 WSM is calling me.

djpaintless has both 84's and a 8400 Classic. Perhaps he can fill us in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage99, Seems you and I have expreinced the same thin over the last week......a rifle that didn't take a lot of dinking with out of the box! Mine is just a bit different than yours! Mine is a SAVAGE 12 VLP in .204(notice I didn't say .204 RUGER!!!!I have a hard time giving any respect to that name!!!!) Go ahead and JIMS if you want to!!!! Anyway the Savage is doing .3's with 28.3 grains of H4895 behind the 32 grain Vmax's on the bench, off the bag on the truck to and off the bipod!!! All with the same POI! This one is ready for the "click chart" on the stock!!! Glad you got a good one too! I came within a knat's nose of getting one(Kimber 84) last spring in 22-250.....probably should have!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
groundhog devistation,

I got a new Savage ML the same day as the Kimber Montana came. It's really not that bad looking a gun! I don't think anyone here wants to read about the Sav. 12fvss I had last year again.

This Savage SS laminated .50 cal ML is an interesting rifle. I have taken to it but not without some problems which have been small so far. One was that one of the 6-48 mount holes in the receiver was so buggered up by a sloppy taping job that the mount screw cross threaded. Lucky for me that there are 6-48 taps here and it cleaned up fine.

So far the Savage ML goes off every time that I load it with powder a bullet and a cap. Thats new to me.

I shot the new Kimber yesterday as well. I may have found a load for the 55 Noslers. Thinking of what scope to get for it and if to go into the big bucks Euro's or not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage99. 0riginally you mentioned a walk around varmint rifle shootimg 55's, In my 6MM BR I shoot a 70 grain Ballistic Tip "Devistating". Easier to make shoot as well I'd think. I believe Sierra is making a 70 BlitzKing as well. On the enexpensive side of town Hornadys 70 grainSX is cheap accurate and "REALLY" pops em! And I only get 3,350ish, you ought to get a couple hundred more fps.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mountdoug,

True I may be chasing a will o the wisp with the 55's. I did get one good group with a deep seat of 2.6". The only 70's I had to load were MK's and they made almost 3500 and variable groups one of which was all in one hole. It's not that easy to shoot a five pound rifle!

I have only had the 243 for a week. Time will tell.

I called Sierra about richocets in the 6mm. They said that a 70 gr Blitz King for instance should fly apart even at fairly low velocity when it hits the earth. That means that the 55's are only a want and not a need.