THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Need all your help ... Win 70 or Rem 700

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need all your help ... Win 70 or Rem 700
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Maximus
posted
Looking for a varmint rig in the 223. Found a couple of interesting rifles, can't decide which one to go with...
First one is a Remington 700P, the other is a Winchester 70 Stealth. The Win is heavier, however that will not bother me. The rate of twist is the same on both rigs, 1 in 9. My question is which one is more accurate, and reiable. Please throw some thoughts and ideas this way.
Thanks!!

Posts: 94 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 09 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester--better gun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you drive a Ford or a Chevy?

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington -- Better Gun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well what would you like to hear? I own both in 223. As to which will shoot better all depends upon me. The winnie is the HV with a heavy 26" barrel with the H-S stock. The Rem is the LTR with a 20" barrel and H-S stock. I sort of like the overall feel of the LTR better but both work better than I can shoot. I did see a Rem VSSF in 223 and really like the looks and feel of it.
Good luck as either will be just fine

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Maximus
posted Hide Post
Hairtrigger,
Neither!!

Posts: 94 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 09 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Myself, I have 2 M700 PSS's in 223, one older 24", one newer 26". They both shoot extremely well.

Like someone above said, Ford vs Chevy, but in this case, I vote Remington.

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I don't have a Remington, but I have one of the recent cheapo black plastic stocked, blind magazine, push feed M70s in 7mm Rem Mag, and it shoots very well.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your only criteria is accuracy, you will be very pleased with either. I had the same decision to make about a year ago. I went with the Winchester because I liked the action better (3 position safety on the bolt), I wanted a slightly heavier gun, I liked the trigger adjustment better, and I liked the looks of it just a tad more than the Rem. All personal preference though.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
The 3-position safety is a very nice feature. Why in the world would anyone design a safety to have to be turned "OFF" to work the bolt, as in unloading a rifle?

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ricochet-

You're living in the past buddy. Have you seen a M700 "recently"?

Another result of the Remington trigger/safety bashing posts. Somebody hears something, takes it for gospel, and it's set in stone for all of eternity...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The 3-position safety is a very nice feature. Why in the world would anyone design a safety to have to be turned "OFF" to work the bolt, as in unloading a rifle?

The newer 700's don't require being turned "off" to open the bolt.

And the 660's I own don't have to be turned off either since I fixed Remington's error.

Actually removing Remingtons bolt lock idea is quite simple to do for anyone with an onuce of smarts thus making it a non issue once corrected.

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ricochet-

You're living in the past buddy. Have you seen a M700 "recently"?

Nope. Actually, I wasn't making that comment just about 700s, but about any bolt rifle that DOES require the safety to be "OFF" to open the bolt. I've got two, a Weatherby and a Savage. Wasn't a dealbreaker to me, obviously, but it's stupid.

one of us
posted Hide Post
J lock enough said.
lol

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No J-lock on the LTR's

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It really is a toss up between the two rifles as to which one will be more accurate. I'd say they're both equally reliable, particularly since the percieved advantage of the Model 70 action, controlled-round-feed, is not an issue since the Stealth version is push feed. What I would do, were I in your situation, is handle both rifles, buy the one I liked best, and ignore what a bunch of forum posters have to say about it. It really is a "Ford vs. Chevy" kind of debate in this instance.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 700's that need to be in the fire position and others that open on safe. Neither have been a problem to me as I practice safe gun handling whether the safety is on or off. Big Grin

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have 700's that need to be in the fire position and others that open on safe. Neither have been a problem to me as I practice safe gun handling whether the safety is on or off.

Of course!