THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Scored a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creedmoor today!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scored a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creedmoor today!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted
I've been away a bunch lately on field jobs. Finally got back for a couple days and had some time to lurk some of my favorite gun shops. First shop I walked into they grinned and handed me a Ruger Predator in 6mm Creedmoor. I asked if they had dies and brass? They said they did and I said I would take it!

Several months ago I purchased a Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor, it was a solid half MOA rifle. I'm looking forward to getting some optics on it and some bench time with the heavies seeing it has a 1-7.7 twist.

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 774 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice! Do you still have the 6.5? It could be interesting to see how they compare.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Nice!
Post some test targets

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice pickup! Really like mine in .308.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was looking at one in 223 Rem; it's between that one and a Tikka T3X. Like the Tikka triggers but I like the Ruger price tag. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
I just ordered in some of the new Sierra 110gr 6mm MatchKings with a BC of .617. I just have to decide on optics.

Posts: 774 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K22:
I was looking at one in 223 Rem; it's between that one and a Tikka T3X. Like the Tikka triggers but I like the Ruger price tag. Smiler

shop around and have Bud's price match. tu2

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
My 6mm 110gr Sierra Match kings were delivered today.

One sleek , sexy bullet!!!

From left to right.

Hornady 6mm Creedmoor case, Sierra 6mm 110gr MK, Hornady 6.5 140gr A-Max.

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
Got a little bench time with the rifle.

These are the first three shot and five shot groups out of the barrel after breaking it in with factory Hornady Match 108gr ELD-M's.

I then shot two groups with my handloaded 90gr Nosler Accubonds at 100 yards. Both groups were under a inch. I then shot a group with the 90gr Accubonds at 200 yards which produced a smoker group of .199 !!!
That will make a guy stand a scratch his head Smiler

The last loads of the day were the Nosler 105gr RDF's. I started on the lands and backed off in .020 increments, in sets of three. These were the last two groups I shot at 100 yards. I'll load some up this evening at 2.730 & 2.720 and see if it tightens up any. The further I backed off the lands the tighter they shot.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The .199" 200 yard Accubond group is impressive but likely just a pleasant anomaly. Those 108gr ELDs look like the best way to go. Do they sell those as components? No matter, all of the shooting indicates you have one heck of a nice rifle there. tu2

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
I don't believe the 108 ELD-M is available for reloading yet. Allot of the large distributors list it but all show out of stock. I'm looking forward to what Hornady releases in their 6mm ELD-X hunting bullet. The 6.5 143gr ELD-X performs well on game.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
SMACK what kind of speed are those going? I know nothing about the 6 mm Creedmore

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
A Hornady 6mm Creedmoor case has the same case capacity as a Lapua .243 Win case. Some will argue that the shoulder angle of the 6mm CM is superior in design and attributes to its reputation for accuracy. On the other hand this is the "New kid" on the block and I have killed allot of Prairie Dogs over the years with some spooky accurate .243's.

I have yet to check velocities with my Magnetto speed. I will post results when I do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this is an old post, but, I am looking for loads to use with my brand new (last week) Ruger Precision Rifle in 6mm Creedmoor. I can't find a lot of 6 Creedmoor shooter reports.

Smack, if you are still out there, did you stick with the RL-17? I have pulled down the Hornady and sierra load data from their websites and am trying to select a good starting powder from the lists.

Has anyone tried the sierra 110's in a Ruger 7.7" twist 6mm creedmoor barrel. Mine has the same 7.7 twist as the predator. I don't want to buy a box of bullets that recommend 7 twist only to confirm that they won't shoot in my 7.5.

Any Ruger PR 6mm Creed shooters that are willing to jump in, please do. I am 68 years old and have learned that doing my reading ahead of time can cut my development time.

thanks in advance. rch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just started shooting a Savage model 10 in 6 CRD and love it. Only bullet so far is the Hornady 103 ELD-x and R17 powder and Petterson small rifle primer pocket brass. Getting 5 shot groups between 1/2" and 3/4" This is being shot in fairly windy conditions as well.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote