Notify
Tools

Scope advice for a .17 HMR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted
Hi all,

I bought myself one of these little beasts.

My object is rabbits, hares, foxes, cats and whatever comes my way.

I will probably also use it spotlighting (legal over here) and am wondering whether the scope I have asked for is suitable - it's a 6x42 Meopta - fixed power scope.

Anyone foresee any big problems with that?

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will work, I put a Mueller 8.5-25x50 on mine. I wanted to see where the little .17's were going. The trigger was the thing that I feel needs help. A good fix for the CZ trigger is the YoDave Kit

Posts: 2669 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I have a Conquest 4.5-14x42 on mine. I shoot prairie dogs with it.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.

I was thinking that I'd be unlikely to be shooting at more than say, 120 metres. Hence the a rabbit head would look like one seen with the naked eye at about 20 metres.

ANd when spotlighting, I'd rather not be shooting at eyes, when I can't see exactly what the animal is. (Good way to get uninvited from a farm is to shoot the farmer's sheep dead).

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a leupold vx 2 3-9 on mine. I leave it on 8X. Seems to work good on small game. I mainly use it for rock chucks.

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a leupold vx 2 3-9 on mine. I leave it on 8X. Seems to work good on small game. I mainly use it for rock chucks

My .17 HMR is a Weatherby Mark XXII.

I regularly shoot rabbits and gray squirrels with it, often at 100 yards or better. And I don't shoot them unless I have a head shot. No problems at all with the Leupold VX2 3-9x40.

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 3-9 Leupold on mine. It would make little bug holes at 50 yards, as long as I kept it at one power setting, but found that it did change point of impact when I changed the power settings. That bothered me. I ended up with a straight 6x Leupold with a varmint crosshair, which is spectacular on this gun, a CZ 455.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a brand new 17 HMR, and I'm putting a Nikon Buckmasters 6-18X 40mm mil dot with side focus on it. (Midway was selling them for $260 not long ago.)

While that scope is no longer available, Midway is selling a Buckmasters 4.5-14x 40mm side focus scope with the BDC reticle for $319. Should be about ideal for a .17 HMR.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DWright:
I had a 3-9 Leupold on mine. It would make little bug holes at 50 yards, as long as I kept it at one power setting, but found that it did change point of impact when I changed the power settings. That bothered me. I ended up with a straight 6x Leupold with a varmint crosshair, which is spectacular on this gun, a CZ 455.

I was looking for a 6x Leupold, but found them very expensive, and since I think the Meopta glass is as good (if not better), I went for it, since it was cheaper.

This is in Aus, so no special deals here .... Wink

--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6x meopta will work fine. I have a 3-15 Minox and do like the flexibility so that squirrels at 190 yards look like you should hit them through the scope. I'd think a 4-12 power is probably about right.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I jut came back from a prairie dog foray with my Anchutz 17 HMR. It wears a 12X Leupold and for my needs is perfect. Able to consistently hit out to 235 yards if wind is not too bad. Better at between 75-200 yards.

Posts: 136 | Location: mn | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've got a 4-16x on My Savage, left hand, heavy barreled, 93. Where I'm at in Colorado, I have an abundance of prairie dogs to shoot. Could I cut down on the high end? Yeah, but on the targets and when all you see is the top half of their heads, it helps a lot.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I have on older model Nikon UCC 3-9x40 that later became the Nikon Monarch. It works well where I shoot in Colorado and Oklahoma. Usually, the limiting factor on the 17 HMR is the wind and not the scope.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6x is great. I use 2-7x Weaver 22 scopes.Because the cross hair only covers 1/2" @ 100yds. Most big game scopes cover 1". I also found that when I take other people shooting gophers they complain as not seeing well at high powers.(novice shooters). When I turned the scopes to 6x they were happy for the rest of the days shooting.

Posts: 85 | Location:  | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have a Cabela's caliber specific scope on my CZ .17 HMR - aim points are 100, 150, 200. Works great.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Shortshot: You brought up an important point, crosshair width. I shoot a dot with fine crosshairs because of your very point. I'm also in agreement that I don't NEED 16x on the top end, but its nice to use when siting in or testing a new lot number of ammo.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushnell makes a 3-9 BDC just for the 17 HMR. I have two of these guns and both of them have the Bushnell scopes. If you zero it at 100 yards the dial is right on at longer ranges. You still have to be aware of the wind, as the litle bullets do drift in the wind. However, drop is right on.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guuys - I picked it up last weekend, but I have to wait for a day to get to the range. Work is like that for interfering with life. Smiler

Bought some Winchester 17gr with Hornady V-Max bullets, just to test, since they seem to be half the price of the the other makes - Federal and CCI.

--