New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best powder for 243
 Login/Join

<71 Win>
posted
What do you guys think would be the best powder in an auto loader for the 243.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose IMR 3031 with most bullet weights. I don't know what rifle your loading for either.

Have you priced ammo at Wal-Mart etc? It may be less trouble to buy loaded ammo for that gun. You may find that you need small base die and the cases are not going to last that long.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I have not loaded for an auto loader, I see no reason why the powder should be different here.

I use IMR 4350 for my .243. My own rifle, a pre 64 M 70 FWT, will digest 45 gr 4350 for 3150 fps for 100 gr bullets. Do not start close to that load and it is way over current handbook recommendations, but you should be able to get 3000 with careful loading. Start with the handbook recommendation for a starting load and then work up slowly to a good working load.

The .243, with deer weight bullets, likes relatively slow burning powders in my experience.

Jerry

[ 02-18-2003, 19:41: Message edited by: JerryM ]

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 4350 in the 243 also but I was thinking of the port pressure relative to what I know about the Garand that's all.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Don Zutz' book, Handloading for Hunters, he relates a little tidbit about a Browning Auto in .243 that he could not get to shoot well. He ended up trying IMR4198 and it shot well. I think that was with Sierra 60 gr bullets though.

Posts: 149 | Location: Nebraska USA | Registered: 22 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 Win:
What do you guys think would be the best powder in an auto loader for the 243.

Without knowing what type of autoloader your looking at a fairly safe bet would be IMR 4064, or one of the various 4895 flavors.
Tell us more!

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
<71 Win>
posted
The auto loader is a Win 100.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From My Experience, 71 Win, for the .243 WCF I recommend Varget, Varget, or Varget. And if that doesn't work, then try Varget. It's the best of the 'em all!

Happy shooting'

Posts: 42 | Location: Lyndon, VT | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR-4320 has been the best performer in my .243 with 70gr to 100gr bullets.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Gunnerdog>
posted
Depending on what type of velocities you are pushing, it may be best to stick with the quicker burning powders. The biggest downfall of an auto-loader and the handloader is creating a spike in pressures after the bullet passes the gas ports that cycle the action. So, I would try 4064 or 3031 and stay away from the slower powders.