New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 Roberts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys and Gals I need your help. I bought a Remington 700 ADL in 257 Roberts because I've always thought the caliber would be a good one. The problem is that the ADL is a short action. I have to seat the bullets deeply in the case. Any suggestions for loads? I'd like to shoot 115+ because I have a Remington Classic in 250 Savage to shoot the 100 grainers. Regardless, any input would be welcomed.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Load 'em and shoot 'em. What's the problem? If you wanted a .257 x 3" you shoulda bought a long action. A brilliant cartridge saddled by manufacturer mediocrity, but it'll still work as is. Enjoy.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob257
Off the topic a bit but... how do you like your Remington 700 classic in 250 savage? Do you hunt and reload with it? Experiances? Just curious, its always nice to see another 250 savage fan.
Take care
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob257, I shoot a browning in 257 and it likes 117 grn Sierras and you have to seat them deep. Thats not any problem for the rifle it shoots em into a 1/2 inch group

Posts: 113 | Location: Hunter, Tx | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
I know about haveing to seat the Bullets DEEP in the .257 Roberts,it does stink.Why they made this this Round into a short action is a ??? as it was made form a long action round the ol 7X57mm.I Think they did so the lighter bullets would be more accurate,at least thats what I've always heard.

Try some IMR-4831 in yours.
My load-
Remington Case,Winchester WLR,44grs of the above,and Nosler 120 gr Partition in the 2850 to 2950 range.

RL-19 and Imr-4064 are other good choice.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smallfry,
I like the 250. It shoots 100 grain bullets of any manufacturer very well! It shoots under an inch and I've only used it to shoot one deer. It was a big doe that dressed at 160 pounds! It did a fine job. My only problem (?) is that I have so many rifles that I don't get to use them all. I like to use a different rifle to shoot deer each year. At this point I have to live a long life!

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I HAVE 3 257'S ON LONG ACTIONS AND MY PARTNER HAS A M700 MOUNTAIN RIFLE ON A SHORT ACTION.. HIS RIFLE WORKS FINE ON MY LOADS.. TRY A 120 PARTAION WITH 43.0 GR IMR 4350 AND WORK UP TO ABOUT 45.0-WHEN YOU GET PRESSURE SIGNES OR 2800 FPS QUIT..ALL OUR RIFLES ARE SUB 1" AND I'M LOOKING FOR A MOUNTAIN RIFLE..

I ALSO USE A 250SAVAGE CLASSIC AND LOVE IT.. I USE A 120 SPEER FLATBASE WITH H4831 BUT ONLY GET 2550 FPS.. I HAVE KILLED A LARGE DOE WITH IT..IT IS THE ONLY RIFLE I OWNE THAT WILL SHOOT VERY DIFFERENT BULLET WEIGHTS WELL.. BOTH 85 BAL TIPS AND 120 SPEERS SHOOT .6" 5 SHOT GROUPS..IT MOSTLY LIVES IN THE CLOSET BUT LIKES TO COME OUT AND SHOOT TURTLES

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a 06 box and follower and using a chamber reamer lenthen the throat if you have to...It's no big deal, I have done that on all 257 Roberts and most 7x57 Mausers.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob257,
I have a 257 Roberts in a Remington Mtn. Rifle. This rifle is on a short action. I to was concerned about seating the bullets deep in the case. I was told by several to just shut up and shoot the rifle. I did and the results have been great. This is the most accurate rifle I have shot to date. The most accurate load was with the Sierra 117 gr. Gamekings. These were really seated in the case but a .261" group at 100 yds. Who cares! My most accurate powder by far has been IMR4350. I consistently get .5 - .75 " groups regardless if I use 100 gr. Hornady’s, 100 & 115 gr. Ballistic tips or 100 gr. Partitons. I have taken a boar and a spike buck this fall with a 115 gr. BT. I couldn't ask for a better load. I will pass along the same advice "Load it and Shoot it!” don’t worry about the seating depth.

Good luck.

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is why I got a Ruger 77MKII. It is built on a long action to start with. I have worked up loads for it using 115 BT's and Partions over H4350 and Winchester +P cases that have grouped in .7's. All in all it is a nice shooter with a good balance feel.

Posts: 26 | Location: West Hemlock, PA | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to a premium bullet, like the Nosler Partition, the Barnes X, or the Swift-A-Frame in the 100 gr. weight. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote