New
Find
Notify
Tools

Predator Medicine
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Heading over to RSA this June & want to try and shoot some predators as well as hunt for duiker / steenbok. I plan on using an electronic call for the predators. I called in a jackal last year and hope to entice some of the small cats.

What caliber would be the best choice? I know any caliber will do the trick but I don't want to blow a huge hole in the pelt for taxidermy reasons.

The rifles on hand include:
223 Remington
270 win
270 wsm
And up

I shot a fox a few years back at 20 yards and there was a fist size hole at the exit. I'm also planning on night hunting with night vision.

Suggestions?

Posts: 60 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 10 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dude! Don't you understand? This is the ideal opportunity to buy a new rifle! Nothing you've suggested is remotely suitable! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of those, the .223 with a relatively hard bullet would be my choice, but I use a .22 hornet for calling foxes and coyotes. You may even want to consider a shotgun. It's not glamorous, but it works great for close in shots, and doesn't blow a huge hole in the pelt.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve shot predators with 17 ackley hornet up to 45-70. A 22 hornet with a frangible bullet such as a Speer SPSX or V-Max will do more damage to a 6 lb. grey fox at 20 yds. than a 400 grain flat point speer out of a 45-70 on a 30 lb. coyote at 50 yds.
Your main concerns are velocity, bullet construction and distance to target. Cast bullets and reduced loads, mono-metals such as the Barnes TSX, or heavy for caliber non-frangibles such as Nosler Partitons loaded on the light side of book in a 223, would probably work also. And shotguns and 22 rimfires work also. A well placed 22 short to the head of a fox at 30 yds. is lights out.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jackal are very shy so mostly long shots are necessary. Most of the Pro's here use 22-250 and some 243's. I would go with the .223 as 400m is about the longest shot you are likely to take and it will not/ should not ruin the pelt. Use a conventional 55gr soft and you can put down duiker, steenbuck etc. HAPPY HUNTING!

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
Actually, I have shot a duiker and steenbuck and a springbuck with a 243. It gives you a little more leeway. Good luck

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyeman:
Actually, I have shot a duiker and steenbuck and a springbuck with a 243. It gives you a little more leeway. Good luck

IIRC the OP is talking close range. At 20 yds, shot a fox with a 100 gr. soft point bullet, I think your taxidermist might have some sewing to do.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
243 or 270 Win

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I've tried a bunch of different stuff on fur namely coyote and bobcat, and only two bullets would I recommend over specific others. The Speer 52gr HP flatbase with the bigger opening, and the Hornady spsx.
I found the least damage most often with the Speer 52gr HP, with the spsx I made a big mess on two I can think of. One hit on the shoulder quatering too, tore a long hole but probably would have with any other as well. The other was less than twenty yards through the neck on the run and it blew out the far side missing spine. They work great at moderate velocities, but come apart if pushed to fast or to much twist.
The Speer 52gr has become my go to for saving fur. From the .223 Rem it rarely exits even close up and loaded faster than the spsx. I've had mixed results with the .22-250, .243, .257R. I also shot them with other much larger calibers but if they get close it's a huge mess. At distance the big slow bullets just punch through without much mess. The one surprising one for me was a Bobcat taken with a .357 Mag & 158gr JSP.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote