THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Heavy bullet for the 260 rem 155 grain alpha awesome!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy bullet for the 260 rem 155 grain alpha awesome!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I used the 155 grain lapua mega tip bullet in
My 264 win mag now I use it in my it in My.260 rem .It
Shoots little clover leafs in my savage model 11 260 .
My buddy just used it on a 200 pound wild hog at 100 yards flipped
It in its tracks .This is an awesome hunting bullet .

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes i have used it in 6,5*55 on moose on average 60% retained weght with a large mushroom, maybee 50% throughshots the rest are under the skin on opposite side.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well placed correctly in most big game animals that combo should work just fine, but a hog isn't hard to kill, I killed many hogs in that weight class with a 22 L.R. and the light varmint calibers like the 222 and 223..

Im sure it penetrates enough to kill a moose as many moose are killed in Europe with the 6.5 Sweede or whatever..

As usual it boils down to bullet placement and bullet construction with all calibers and ones ability to shoot..

A 260 Rem much less a 264 Magnum are indeed potent calibers for most anything in NA, short of Alaskan Brown Bears, but even then I would not hesitatle to shoot one if that's all I had to do it with.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at the drawings on the Lapua website, it looks like the Mega bullets are quite blunt and near bore diameter almost to the point. Is this correct for the 6.5 bullets too?

I have a 6.5x54MS with rotary magazine that needs the bullet to ride on the front ledge of the magazine or the case body will bind and fail to properly push up the cartridge. So far, the solution has been to use 160 gr RN bullets, but those Mega bullets look like they would work great, particularly since you have had such good results.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
You might also look into the 156gr. Norma Oryx. It has a very similar profile as the Lapua that may work in your 6.5x54.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Looking at the drawings on the Lapua website, it looks like the Mega bullets are quite blunt and near bore diameter almost to the point. Is this correct for the 6.5 bullets too?

I have a 6.5x54MS with rotary magazine that needs the bullet to ride on the front ledge of the magazine or the case body will bind and fail to properly push up the cartridge. So far, the solution has been to use 160 gr RN bullets, but those Mega bullets look like they would work great, particularly since you have had such good results."

Yes the Mega are blunt, their flat exposed lead nose works very well on game its the best cup and core big game bullet for 6,5 (not bonded with leadlock).

For 6,5*54 you may want Norma Alaska round nose bullet work well in that speed its cheeper than Norma Oryx which is a bonded bullet (probably the best 6,5 bullet 80% retained weight in 6,5*55 speed).

Alaska
https://norma.cc/us/Products/C...ullets/Norma-Alaska/
Testshooting of Oryx
https://norma.cc/us/Ammunition-Academy/Expansion/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"6,5x55 SE (C.I.P.) A comparison of rifle bullet terminal performance in ballistic simulant material for big game hunting purposes" Lapua Mega, Norma Oryx, Barnes ttsx, Lapua Naturalis, Hornady gmx

https://jagareforbundet.se/con...a165fee/65x55_se.pdf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Hornady 160 gr. RN and the Norma 156 gr. bullets in my 6.5x55. Outstanding penetration. The Hornady bullet has proven itself extremely accurate, too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
You might also look into the 156gr. Norma Oryx. It has a very similar profile as the Lapua that may work in your 6.5x54.

+1

Posts: 2627 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These lapua 155 grain mega tips shoot clover leaf groups in my 264 win mag and 260 rem at 100 yards .
They shoot 1.5 inches at 100 yards in my 6.5 jap carbine which is picky and has a long throat .
I shot two pronghorn with it in my 264 win mag at 350 yards flipped them in their tracks .The lapua 155 grain has a bc of .388 pretty impressive to look like a long blunt point .It knocks fist size holes in animals kills them quickly .I bought 2000 of them about 20 years ago and I am glad I tried them .I have not seen much ever written about them .

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote