THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    I am looking to buy a 257 Roberts

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am looking to buy a 257 Roberts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted
Looking to buy a 257 Roberts. It has to be a fairly light weapon but accuracy is an absolute requirement.

I was thinking Remington or Ruger but I really want something light.

Any recommendations?

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See the occasional Ruger Ultra Light new on Gunbroker..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just took a peek, there is a Rem custom shop mannlicher on there now. Don,t know about light, but it is a good lookin gun!

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much money are you looking to spend? I have a really neat little 98 Mauser made by Franz Sodia in Ferlach,DST, clawmount scope, georgous wood, trap door buttplate, butterknife bolt, engraved ect... that I might part with if offered proper $$

m4220

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
t/c encore with a mgm barrel(any size) in 257roberts

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would checkout a Kimber-
a Montana model is under 6 pounds w/o scope

Guns-america has several listed for sale

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Probably my favorite rifle is my Kimber 257R. It's an honest 1 MOA rifle. It's light. Barrel heats up fast so you have to wait between shots at the bench. Usually the first two shots touch with the 3rd opening up a little. Great hunting rifle.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Lora uses a Ruger Model 77 Ultra-Lite and has for 10 or 12 years now. Her and I both have shot several deer over the years and it does a great job.

Working with 115 grain Barnes Triple Shoks trying to get it hitting where we want it to. This gun liked the old 85 grain "X" flat base and surprisingly worked really well with factory loaded Remington 117 grain round nose Core-Locts.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If accuracy is a high requirement, I'd take a Rem 700 over a Ruger.
There is a like new Rem 700, I believe classic in the Gunstop gun store in Minnetonka, Mn.
I have no interest in the gun nor do I know of it's accuracy.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI,

I have a no-longer made Browning A bolt in .257R (not for sale) that handles like a dream and is a tack driver. Find one of those and you'll love it.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
FYI,

I have a no-longer made Browning A bolt in .257R (not for sale) that handles like a dream and is a tack driver. Find one of those and you'll love it.

Frowner I owned one of those and compared to other .257s I had it was not that great. Luck of the toss I guess. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look into New Ultra Light Arms...Great rifles, light weight, and very accurate.

I've had extensive experience with 2 of their rifles in 257...a little pricey but worth it!

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 1941 Win 70, so I would suggest a Win 70 Featherweight

Go Navy

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
If accuracy is your top requirement, take a hard look at a Cooper. My .257 Cooper is an Ackley Improved version, and it shoots half MOA all day.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just this week, picked up a used Ruger M77 in 257 Roberts. Will try and shoot it today to see how it does. Nice fun little caliber.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI the latest cdnn catalog shows M70s available P22 for $699. Can't vouch if they're still around, though. cdnn

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
My youngest son has a Ruger Ultra Light 257 Roberts that I bought for his mother. It shoots sub 1" groups no prob and turns in better than that sometimes with 100 grain Sierra's and IMR 4064 or RL 17.
I have a 257 built on a small ring Mauser that is exceptionaly accurate and light. It shoots 117 Sierras and IMR 4350.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
FWIW my Remmie M7MS weighs in around 8.5# scoped with a Leupy 2.5-8x36. It's not a light right but certainly fits the accuracy department.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add: if I Wanted to go super light I'd check NULA or MG.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester M70 Featherweight.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
The gun must be a right hand bolt. No TC's for this job.
I like the three Remingtons that I have but I am thinking Ruger or even Savage. I hear good things about savage and their accu-trigger.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
257R is a cartridge I have in 4 rifles. Three are rebarreled mauser actions from 91 thru 98s. One is a Ruger Hawkeye I bought 2 or so years ago. Accuracy of my Ruger, after playing around with it, floating barrel, lightning the trigger pull, trying various reloads and etc., is not as good as my rebarreled mausers. While accuracy was good enough for general purpose hunting, such as white tail deer, never did match the accuracy of my rebarreled mausers. Talking 1' or less groups for my mauser 257s and 1" plus for my Ruger Hawkeye.

Like I suggested, I certainly wouldn't hesitate taking the Ruger deer hunting.

Its a nice rifle. Gent I shoot with wanted my Ruger for his wife to use hunting. He offered a straight trade for one of his higher end Savage rifles, which cost maybe three hundred dollars more than my Ruger. I turned him down, even though a couple of our fellow shooting buddies thought it was a darn good deal for me.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaulS:
I like the three Remingtons that I have but I am thinking Ruger or even Savage. I hear good things about savage and their accu-trigger.

Roll EyesIf the Accutrigger is working it,s a charm. When it starts to malfunction it's a PITA and proved to be costly. The bolt engaging knife edge became noticeably rounded in greatly less than 1000 rounds. This goes back to when they first came out. I say this as it may have been corrected since than. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Ruger Hawkeye in .257. It was a nice gun, but it didn't fit me somehow and I never got comfortable with it. I sold it to a buddy of mine and he loves it.

Posts: 16133 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by PaulS:

Roll EyesIf the Accutrigger is working it,s a charm. When it starts to malfunction it's a PITA and proved to be costly. The bolt engaging knife edge became noticeably rounded in greatly less than 1000 rounds. This goes back to when they first came out. I say this as it may have been corrected since than. beerroger

I had some issues with my accutrigger. The blade doo dad on the trigger would freeze up not allowing you to pull the trigger. It would happen randomly and you had to lift the bolt a little to unlock it. Mine is paper shooter so I never worried about it too much. If it was a hunting rifle, I would have it replaced.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bartsche:

I had some issues with my accutrigger. The blade doo dad on the trigger would freeze up not allowing you to pull the trigger. It would happen randomly and you had to lift the bolt a little to unlock it. Mine is paper shooter so I never worried about it too much. If it was a hunting rifle, I would have it replaced.

thumbdownMine did the same after it came back from the factory. Frownerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My local dealer has an older tang safety Ruger with sights in 257 for sale. It has a Canjar set trigger. I have no idea how it shoots. It is for sale in the $575 range if I remember correctly. Dealer is Wayne at 412 264 4867.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Any rifle one buys is to some extent "luck of the draw" Some makes have a little more "lucky" pedigree than others, but that is no guarantee of anything except that it is a rifle, which may function, and might shoot accurately (and may not).

I presently have tang-safety Ruger model 77RS in 99%+ condition, which shot 4 consecutive groups of under 0.5" the last time out. I also have a Remington M722 .257 which averages slightly more than double that size groups.

Ordinarily, I would expect the Remingtons to be more accurate if you averaged the accuracy of 100 each of Remington and Ruger rifles in that chambering. But, as I and others have said, it is to some degree just plain luck of the draw as to what the individual rifle you get will do.

Whichever you get, there are always ways to increase their accuracy. And if those efforts don't work, you can always sell it at very little loss (or maybe even a profit) these days, and buy another. Or you could just be happy with it as a hunting rifle so long as it shoots 2 MOA groups or better.

BTW. depending on its condition, that $575 for a Ruger M77RS in .257 Roberts may be a very fair (reasonable) price for it these days. That is the model number of the one described above.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would take a look at a Remington 722 if you are looking for a using rifle. They aren't very pretty but the one I had sure was a shooter. I gave it to my son and he traded it for a 22-250. (KIDS?)

Posts: 197 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a mk2 ruger rl, Shoots 100 grain barns t shocks under an inch a 3100 fps,
I had to float the barrel, and I put a tmney in it...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a Ruger for my daughter years ago. It shot very small groups. She shot out the barrel so I rebarreled it with a Douglas barrel and it put 5 shots of 120gr Swift Aframe into one jagged hole at 100 yards.

My 25-06 Ruger shoot s just as well with a factory barrel.

If Tikka makes a T-3 Lite in 257R that is what I would buy. I already have a 6.5X55 and 7mm-08 Tikka t-3 Lite rifles.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote